Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post

I'd love to know more about the shell you're using. Have any photos?
    i think i might. i'll have to look. my car has a 1/87 build date. i believe it was the 7th car off the assembly line and possibly the first m3 imported to the usa. lachsilber/cardinal. unfortunately, like your car it was hammered in the ass. when i received it, i got a salvage title, it was missing the back seat, 5 lug suspension, and the drivetrain. it came with an extra set of quarters and a good used rear bumper.

recently, i bought an s62/g420 that is going to be my drivetrain choice. i also have every alpina part to make the car a b6 3.5s including a complete original vent gage cluster. my euro recaro bmw front seats just arrived in the mail a couple days ago. it appears they might be a tight squeeze in the cabrio shell.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

i have since taken the fenders off and put them in the garage so they are out of the elements.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

This should be fun
        Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Well now things are getting interesting!

(Flyboyx you might want to go this route)

I've been selling off a few parts I won't need from my M3 in order to build up some funds to pour into the cabrio. I happened to mention the build to someone who was interested in the rear seat, and he tells me he's interested in the side skirts.

No go, I say, as I need them for my build. Well it turns out that the M3 cab side skirts are actually still available NOS from BMW! But the coupe ones have been NLA for years and go for a pretty penny even in used condition. So I ended up ordering the new M3 cabriolet side skirts and sold the coupe skirts. No modifications needed!
          Part numbers:
          51712238251 (L)
          51712238252 (R)

Also, the M3 cabrio front fenders are still available as well! So I ordered those and will be selling off the coupe fenders (driver's side survived the crash, pass. side is new from BMW). Again, these will bolt up to the convertible with no modifications needed :p
          Part numbers:
          41352238269 (L)
          41352238270 (R)

Overall, I'm happier with the decision to go with all-new sheetmetal and the convertible-specific parts. I want this to be as close as possible to a factory M3 convertible, so every little thing counts.
          '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

I was wondering why your fenders went up for sale! This is getting exciting!!!
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Well now things are getting interesting!

(Flyboyx you might want to go this route)

I've been selling off a few parts I won't need from my M3 in order to build up some funds to pour into the cabrio. I happened to mention the build to someone who was interested in the rear seat, and he tells me he's interested in the side skirts.

No go, I say, as I need them for my build. Well it turns out that the M3 cab side skirts are actually still available NOS from BMW! But the coupe ones have been NLA for years and go for a pretty penny even in used condition. So I ended up ordering the new M3 cabriolet side skirts and sold the coupe skirts. No modifications needed!
              Part numbers:
              51712238251 (L)
              51712238252 (R)

Also, the M3 cabrio front fenders are still available as well! So I ordered those and will be selling off the coupe fenders (driver's side survived the crash, pass. side is new from BMW). Again, these will bolt up to the convertible with no modifications needed :p
              Part numbers:
              41352238269 (L)
              41352238270 (R)

Overall, I'm happier with the decision to go with all-new sheetmetal and the convertible-specific parts. I want this to be as close as possible to a factory M3 convertible, so every little thing counts.

wow! really? that is good info.

those skirts are pricey. what do used coupe skirts sell for?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                those skirts are pricey. what do used coupe skirts sell for?

ECS Tuning has them for $360 each. Last coupe set that I saw on eBay sold for $600 so you could almost break even on the deal. Not bad for brand new M3 convertible-specific parts.

Comment

ECS Tuning has them for $360 each. Last coupe set that I saw on eBay sold for $600 so you could almost break even on the deal. Not bad for brand new M3 convertible-specific parts.
                  just make sure you get your hands on the those parts before you let your coupe parts go. i can't tell you how many times i have ordered something that was said to be available, but never arrived because bmw's computer inventory was wrong.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    just make sure you get your hands on the those parts before you let your coupe parts go. i can't tell you how many times i have ordered something that was said to be available, but never arrived because bmw's computer inventory was wrong.
                    I second this, I have bought some things from ECS saying 5 days ship and then a few days later the come back and say they are NLA.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Sorry, I didn't actually order them from ECS. I just saw they were listed there as well. I should have them in-hand this weekend, I will post some photos.

Comment

This is gonna be sweet :up:

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                        --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Fuuuuug. I guess I'll be selling the m3 fenders I got from husker for vert ones. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I was so sad when I saw the pictures of your M3, I remember it from the picnic last year. I am very excited for this!

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

Subscribed, just made the connection from your signature. I remember you from our TSL days, I even remember your post on there of when you found your M3 for a steal. Glad to see your still in the e30 game, and that you still have your airflow!

Good luck with the build.

Comment

FYI - You will most likely NOT be able to buy the Cabrio front fenders or sideskirts.
                                BMW will require a copy of a valid current registration and copy of a drivers license for a vehicle originally outfitted with those parts before they ship them to the USA.

ECS will not be able to deliver. They just take the entire ETK catalogue and put it on their site with pricing. It doesn't mean they can actually source said parts.

-Chris
                                Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                                X