E34 550iT....The Gristle Hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Schricks and extrude honed intake manifold!
    Man....I'd love to do a cool N/A build on one of these but it's soooo much money.

Be cheaper to turbo, and these like turbos what with the 8:1 compression...

....but I feel like that's a lot of work too.

Working up a M73 powered dfhkgsdgdeinvs for Vintage, so I'm going through that engine now.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
      Man....I'd love to do a cool N/A build on one of these but it's soooo much money.

Be cheaper to turbo, and these like turbos what with the 8:1 compression...

....but I feel like that's a lot of work too.

Working up a M73 powered dfhkgsdgdeinvs for Vintage, so I'm going through that engine now.
      Yep, completely understood there! I'd relate building an n/a M70 to building an n/a m20. Sweet, wonderful sound, terrible hp per dollar ratio (and great fun for your r3v audience to take vicarious part of).

What holds these motors back? Just headwork?

Nonetheless, I've seen m70s with cams/intake make what you just made stock, so you must've built a damn healthy motor!
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        Yep, completely understood there! I'd relate building an n/a M70 to building an n/a m20. Sweet, wonderful sound, terrible hp per dollar ratio (and great fun for your r3v audience to take vicarious part of).

What holds these motors back? Just headwork?

Nonetheless, I've seen m70s with cams/intake make what you just made stock, so you must've built a damn healthy motor!
        Ha really?!

Man....yeah there may be a Dinan-style turbo deal in the future now that I've gotten the thought in my head. I've just never been a big boost fan...too much money....then look at what I put into this damn thing already.....

Comment

Better video noises coming soon.
          -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

If you're still making plans (and if it can be fitted), maybe consider a supercharger.
            It would fit the character better, I'd say.

Or: NA-tuning, with Alpha-N style intakes through (former) headlights.

Max
            E30-Fan from Germany, here to learn about and get some inspiration for my next car.

Comment

Originally posted by Max S View Post
              If you're still making plans (and if it can be fitted), maybe consider a supercharger.
              It would fit the character better, I'd say.

Or: NA-tuning, with Alpha-N style intakes through (former) headlights.

Max
              I'd love a big old blower sitting on top of the thing, but IDK if it's feasible given the low profile of the hood. Trying to make it into a nice, but quick, touring wagon I can pack up and just eat up some highway in.

So far it's just been sitting at my parents place while I try to get the 335i back together. Not enough time for all this shit, lol.

Comment

I wasn't thinking of a big bug-catcher but a normal supercharger, or maybe even two small ones on the sides (one per bank).
                Nothing that pierces the hood.

Max
                E30-Fan from Germany, here to learn about and get some inspiration for my next car.

Comment

Originally posted by Max S View Post
                  I wasn't thinking of a big bug-catcher but a normal supercharger, or maybe even two small ones on the sides (one per bank).
                  Nothing that pierces the hood.

Max
                  MooseheadM5 has a centrifugal one on where the AC compressor would be mounted on the M70.....but his is in an e28. I wanna keep my AC, so the turbo thing appeals to me, plus it's been done before and I can replicate it.

Just two little guys....engine only revvs out to around 6k, so don't need anything huge. I just want that "oh a v12 touring huh?"..."OHHHH issa twin turbo v12 touring!"

Comment

I already have that on the Hammer's older sibling, turbos are the way to go on the Hammer.
                    -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

Shot off the oil to Blackstone....idk why they called it a M50....whatever. I'll get my follow before Vintage 2019.....I just change it once a year since I never drive it.

Those dates tho...christ I never get on here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wait....I thought this was you for a sec!... But it looks dark green not blue.

By this point, I’m sure you can tell what’s Jalop-bait and what’s not. The car’s gotta have a manual and generally be a wagon, at the very least. If you can throw a Radwood spin on it, even better. And this 1993 BMW 525i that popped up on Craigslist is the closest to that car I’ve seen in a while, namely because it…

Sounds like there's more of a body swap thing going on.

Comment

The body swap thing is bullshit. The owner doesn't really know anything about how the swap was done.
                          -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

Yes - sounds like BS. Getting a Z-Axle under there, and the 4-wheel steering working would be no mean feat!
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I heard the owner of this car sold it to Carmax for $800.

Comment

Well well well....I guess here I am again.

So we've had many life events recently.

I flipped a car.
                                I had a son.
                                I did a good bit to the Hammer in the meantime....well....before those first two.

For Vintage '19 I redid the interior. Huge thanks to 9Stitch for the custom interior. I did the black suede headliner and swapped the carpet and everything to black that I could. Painted or dyed the rest. It turned out pretty damn well, except the headliner I'm not too proud of....going to have it professionally done when I get around to it.

I also lost the rear 3/4 of the hood....now it's not just some crummy looking, old, loud BMW anymore....people can see what makes the noises.

BUT the real highlight here is I took my FBO 335i and made it into a N54 donor car.

Comment

Working...
                                X