The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Thanks, man! I can't wait to see it in the sun, too. It's been a while.

Also, just hit the wonderful $15K milestone with this build. Here's spreadsheet so you can all laugh at me:

Sheet1 ENGINE,Cost,Purchase Location M52b28 Longblock w/Accessories,$450,Classic Daily M50 Manifold,$50,Classic Daily M50 Manifold Kit,$150,m50mani.com SpeedDaddy LT Headers,$100,eBay LT Header Ceramic Coat,$100,Mielke Way Coatings Dr Vanos Stage 1,$225,Bimmerforums MM Rally Cams 272,$700,Jaker ...

2016 me should've stuck with an M20.
    Definitely not laughing, I stopped keeping track at $10k I know I am over $15 on the way to $20:)
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      Definitely not laughing, I stopped keeping track at $10k I know I am over $15 on the way to $20:)
      It's scary how it adds up.

And despite all that money, to this day the only E30 I've actually driven (have owned well over 10) was a clapped out 325iX that I daily'd for a few months before selling.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Is it in yet?
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

What are you doing with all those ix's?

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
            Is it in yet?
            Bahaha I wish, I'm out of money currently and still need to buy:

-Clutch/TOB/slave (fx100)
            -trans seals, CSB, guibo
            -Fan (spal 30100401)
            -944 booster
            -harness modification
            -Trans mounts
            -Engine bay paint
            -803 MAF
            -BBTB
            -M50 manifold conversion
            -MM tune

etc etc and still assemble the motor, timing chain guides and gaskets, and the list goes on. Some of the stuff can wait as far as mods are concerned, so the focus is to get done what I need to get the motor bolted in the car first.

My focus currently is to sell the zillion spare parts I have lying around so I can afford this final wave of crap I need to purchase.

If you can't tell, this ended up being way more work than I ever could've imagined.

Lambo, if you're reading this, stay M20.

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
              What are you doing with all those ix's?
              The white late sedan is pretty nice, but apart and needs a trans. Going to reassemble with an auto and get it buttoned up and make it into a good winter driver.

The '88 is a complete car, so I'm going to get that running good and sell it. Only needs a tune up and a good VC (which I have).

The '91 is a full manual swap with a great drivetrain (good VC), so i'm going to sell that 5sp swap kit and part the rest of the car out.

I still have my really nice '88 back in PA, too, which I need to fix a few things on (central locking, sunroof, seats) and then am going to throw it on BAT.

Comment

Never keep track! At least an accurate count. I have a number in my head where I think Im at $$ wise.

Also, I think I saw a 16" Spal fan in the classifieds if you're still looking
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Never keep track! At least an accurate count. I have a number in my head where I think Im at $$ wise.

last I checked I was about 30% off my actual number lol. stopped checking after that. I have so many parts in my basement waiting to go on...
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    last I checked I was about 30% off my actual number lol. stopped checking after that. I have so many parts in my basement waiting to go on...
                    Thanks, 2man. I actually bought that guy's m42 rad. The fan is a puller instead of a pusher, unfortunately and I'm running a pusher in front of the rad. The fan is cheap, though, I'm just waiting on a bunch of stuff to sell before I buy new parts.

Yeah, this is certainly the last time I keep track of money like this, it makes me sick thinking about it.

Comment

Made some great progress tonight!

(by the way if you're reading this and need iX parts let me know, I guarantee I have what you seek)

I spent the night buttoning up the front suspension and getting the Z3 rack in.

Z3 rack in with spacers up top to check the angle of the steering shaft and see what I need to modify. Running a full e30 inner/outer tie rod assy.

Finally have everything removed in the engine bay that I wanted gone. It's sealed currently, awaiting the next step.

And the moment we've all been waiting for.....

Before I can move onto the next steps, I have a metric ton of 325iXs parts that need a home, as well as a rwd 5sp swap and a ton of other stuff........ so if you need some parts, let me know. It's for a good cause ;)

Comment

Looking really good!
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

christ almighty thats a lovely lookin coupe
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            Looking really good!
                            Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            christ almighty thats a lovely lookin coupe
                            Thanks gents! It's definitely nice to walk in the garage and see the car sitting on it's own weight.

The third iX showed up today! It's just as clapped out as the rest. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me.

Comment

Need R3V's advice:

I've got too many projects and need to consolidate. I have thousands upon thousands of dollars of stuff to buy for this 24V swap still and it's just going to drain me for another year, to a point where I wont enjoy it. For anyone who remembers my last build, Heidi the iX, knows that I wanted to get out of filling my life with nothing but car projects and never driving any of my vehicles. The purpose of this car was just to have a simple fun cruiser and I took it too far, like always.

With that said, I have the suspension and brakes nearly complete on the iS.

I'm highly considering selling all of my 24v shit and just getting an M20, refreshing it, and calling it a day. But have the thought that if I do that it will also turn into a fiasco.

I donno. I'm at a standstill. I've got 5 e30s in the midwest and 2 in PA and shelves upon shelves of parts. I also have a full time day job and a part time evening job. Wrenching is not enjoyable with this much shit on my plate. I just want to do a couple autocrosses and have fun in a car.

Burn it all down? I'm thinking the same.

Comment

1- Sell off all the e30 stuff to guys here. It sounds like all that clutter is the source of your stress and between R3v, ebay and craigslist you could probably off most of this stuff relatively quickly.
                                2-Finish this swap, drive the sh*t out of it.
                                3-Crack a beer

This coupe looks really good. It'd be a shame to scrap it all right now. Maybe take a break from this swap to focus what little free time you have on consolidating your projects so that you can focus on finishing this up.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X