E30 M3 Sedan Build : The Car That Never Was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone was selling an M3 front bumper on craigs

Correction it was a reproduction, so there could have been fittings issues, as well.
    Last edited by Javier h; 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Euro front bumper is available new for about half the price of the US spec front bumper. Pretty reasonable, I got mine from ECS.

I've seen two or three rear bumpers pop up for sale over the last few months, keep an eye open. It's one of the last things you'll need, so if I were you I'd wait it out.

As for the rear quarters, you might want to talk to one of the importers (Schmiedmann, Maximilian) if the euro quarters are indeed still available as you say. Like I said it took me almost two months to get mine. Have you been able to point out any differences between the US and Euro rear quarter panels? I haven't.
      Last edited by IronJoe; 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM.
      '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
        Euro front bumper is available new for about half the price of the US spec front bumper. Pretty reasonable, I got mine from ECS.

I've seen two or three rear bumpers pop up for sale over the last few months, keep an eye open. It's one of the last things you'll need, so if I were you I'd wait it out.

As for the rear quarters, you might want to talk to one of the importers (Schmiedmann, Maximilian) if the euro quarters are indeed still available as you say. Like I said it took me almost two months to get mine. Have you been able to point out any differences between the US and Euro rear quarter panels? I haven't.
        I was going to go that route, but I got so fed up with trying to get the right bumper, deal with shipping and everything that I decided just to modify the replicas to work. The first rear that DTM Fiberwerkz sent was the wrong bumper completely. If I can find a decent set down the road, I'll swap em, but in the meantime I'll settle with these.

My S14 showed up about two weeks ago and was totally waterlogged. Did a leakdown test and had zero compression in all cylinders and I've been fighting the eBay seller ever since. I'm probably going to end up either doing an S38 to keep it period correct, or an S50. Still up in there air.

To answer your question though, the euro rear fenders are ever so slightly wider to accommodate for a wider wheel. It's something minimal like 2mm or something like that.

I'm shooting Schmiedmann an email now to see what they have - I havent tried them yet. Thanks!
        1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

When you do five lug on your e30. I can let you borrow my spare set of Hartge e30 m3 staggered 3pc 17" for photo shot.

Keep the pics coming!
          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

That stinks about the S14. They're getting so hard to come by. I'm so hesitant to buy anything large like that off of eBay anymore.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
              When you do five lug on your e30. I can let you borrow my spare set of Hartge e30 m3 staggered 3pc 17" for photo shot.

Keep the pics coming!
              Deal! and thank you!

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              That stinks about the S14. They're getting so hard to come by. I'm so hesitant to buy anything large like that off of eBay anymore.
              I think I'm going to end up doing the S50 after all due to cost and parts availability. Super depressing though.
              1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

Updated and actively looking for M3 trunk hinges if anyone wants to sell me a set :)

Comment

Really cool build. Sub‘d

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
                    Really cool build. Sub‘d
                    Thanks!
                    Updated.

Comment

Fucking rad!!! I love it.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

have you tried these guys for the c-pillar? http://www.pesch.cz/en/product/bmw-m...including-rail

also that BMP guy that was mentioned earlier on seems to be still taking orders. he posted an email in this youtube vid to contact him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEI9VCTKqo
                        Last edited by iXguido; 10-25-2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                          have you tried these guys for the c-pillar? http://www.pesch.cz/en/product/bmw-m...including-rail

also that BMP guy that was mentioned earlier on seems to be still taking orders. he posted an email in this youtube vid to contact him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEI9VCTKqo
                          I did see that, and they seem to be decent. There is a few things I'm going to try first, if that doesn't work, I'm going to use BMP for sure. ~$280 isn't bad for that assembly.

Comment

I was gonna say

I dont think you are searching hard enough.

Jony is doing an M3 tribute and claims he ordered the M3 pillar from there.

In fact he shows the part before it was installed!

He doesnt recommend the company because of fitment issues but with some hard work, you can make it work.

The C pillar is a major known feature of the car. I would seriously give it some thought.
                            Last edited by Javier h; 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Downeaster1 View Post
                              I did see that, and they seem to be decent. There is a few things I'm going to try first, if that doesn't work, I'm going to use BMP for sure. ~$280 isn't bad for that assembly.
                              Thats great news, I don't think it'd look right without the correct m3 style c-pillar and trunk. Yes $280 is very fair for what you get especially considering how easy it is designed to install. It also sounds like it is even cheaper to purchase in primer vs finished carbon.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                              Jony is doing an M3 tribute and claims he ordered the M3 pillar from there.

In fact he shows the part before it was installed!

He doesnt recommend the company because of fitment issues but with some hard work, you can make it work.
                              If you watch the youtube video in my previous post, the guy talks about how poorly the fibreglass c-pillar fits and how a lot of cutting needs to be done vs the carbon c-pillar that can be bonded over the existing body just like the factory m3 parts. I would personally stay away from the fibreglass parts for that reason.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                              The C pillar is a major known feature of the car. I would seriously give it some thought.
                              I agree! It will make a major difference in the appearance and quality of the tribute.

Comment

Updated!

Comment

Working...
                                X