Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 BMW E30 318iS Complete Rebuild

**This is an old thread reborn**

Finally picked up an E30... a 318iS, DOB 07/01/91. I would have liked a m3 but
    my wallet didnt like the flared quarter panels... Anyway, I downloaded the
    "Buying an e30 guide" and left it at home, unread, as I headed out to check
    out this 318iS. I even rented a trailer, just in case I bought it, so I could
    drag it home...This was the result...

I did kinda check it out though...

Long story short, I bought it and brought it home...

I sat and looked it for a while, still kinda amazed Id bought it...

I hadn't even test driven it (who cares?) as the brakes were not connected...
    The PO was in the process of changing the brakes when he realized he didn't
    really have the $$ to dump into this car... The engine ran though and
    sounded good... So I backed it into the driveway and started having a look...

Now, Im not a mechanic and Ive never played around with cars at all but I
    thought a closer look was in order... Sooo I pulled out the DS seat...

That was kinda cool so I pulled out the PS seat too...

and then some other bits...

the carpet made an exit and then some more was yanked...

I think Ive got my work cutout for me!
    Last edited by Split_S; 11-29-2016, 09:46 AM.

No time to waste...So on we go with strip show...

I had a feeling that sound insulation was hiding some nasty surprises so as you can see above I started scraping it off for about an hour with a screwdriver until I remembered Id just bought an air powered chisel..you know, the kind made just for that sorta thing...

Idiot....

Comment

After removing the front bumper cover, which was a fairly straight forward affair: remove screws and slide off, an epic battle was fought with both the front and rear bumpers... The front finally gave in once common sense was applied instead of brute force and stupidity..

Loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom of the bumper. Those facing you hold the metal support plate to the bumper... They don't loosen.

Above, on the far left, you see where the bolt screws into...

The rear bumper however, hung on and eventually needed an angle grinder and some strong language to finally be persuaded to let go.

The bolt heads had to be cut off as no amount of torque, loose nut or cursing was getting them off. As a result I had to cut the tow hook to access the bolts - no great loss - I wanted it gone anyways. Something about a tow hook says to me "This car is shitty, it will probably break down..." So none of that on my car...

Removing the front bumper revealed some very slight damage to the right side shock mount: evidence of a thump sometime in the cars past:

As best as I can tell that is the extent of the damage..The left side mount had no damage at all and there are no ripples any where else or evidence of repair anywhere....

With the bumpers off I could have a looksee at the metal behind and this is what I saw:

I need to get a welder...

Oh.. and I need to learn how to weld.... :(

Comment

Work continues... The car seems happy in my garage, kinda like its thinking "F$ck its about time!".. Maybe its just me....

The M42 is a nice looking engine. I look at it and compare it to my M54 in my E46 and see many similarities.. I cant wait to yank it out!

One thing I am thinking about is the seasons. Being in Canada, winter is not too far away and I have to plan my work around the fact its gonna be really cold really soon... I had planned on doing body work all winter but I have scrapped that idea as I dont have ventilation in my garage to deal with the dust all that bodywork will generate. So the plan is now to get some welding done before its too cold to work with the doors open, redo the rear suspension in all its glory, yank the engine and at some point rebuild some components of the engine. Maybe, just maybe, I may pull the dash out but that is scaring the sh*t out of me right now....

Here is the state of the rear of the car as we speak:

Comment

Nice pickup! I would've bought the car just for those minty front seats, yum yum.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Excellent start!

And it seems that you have big intentions with this E30. Stuff I personally like to see.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Thanks man - its my first try at working on a car so who knows how she will turn out. But I LOVE e30s and always wanted one so I will do my uber best...

Im planning a full resto - I want to bring her back to how she would have looked in the showroom back in 1991...

Comment

Just last week I bought a '87 325iS with a bad automatic transmission, just for the interior. I was dismayed to find some rust in the rear valence and along the lower rocker panels (the car spent the majority of it's life in New Jersey and Pennsylvania), so I was planning to sell the shell as a track car or just junk it. After seeing your pictures and your intentions, I may just save mine as-no offense-I have found much less rust than what you've discovered.

Kudo's to you for planning to save another E30, and on possibly prompting me to do the same!
                Eric Giles
                '20 M2 CS
                '04 M3
                '11 X5 35D
                '87 325is
                '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Looks like there's a lot of work ahead of you... I know that feeling, good luck!
                  My Feedback

Comment

Thanks guys!

I think its best not to think of how much work there is to do!!

I figured I wont waste time so I worked on the hood too...

Step 1: Open hood...

See bracket on right under all that grease..

Bracket on left under same grease...

Both at once... BEAUTIFUL...

Identify tubing for wiper spray nozzles... Remove...

Remove rusty roller guides and set aside for deep cleaning

Take note of grounding strap and then loosen all those bolts...

Call a thirsty friend and tell him you have beer.. Once he's at your
                    place...well... now you know how I got help removing my hood..
                    No time to waste remove that ugly washer reservoir..

Feeling good I then worked on the lights, removing the plastic grills..

Grills out, loosen bolts that hold light bracket in place then...

Pray to God you can remember how to put it all back a year from now....

Ta-daaaa...

Not bad for a couple of days in...

Comment

Looks like a cool project, good color and engine! Bodywork shouldn't be to bad. are you planning on doing it yourself? I remember my first big project, forgot how to reinstall some parts...was fun.
                      Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Yeah Im doing everything myself. Planning on having the engine rebuilt by a pro (dont have the tooling/knowledge/courage for that!) and the actual painting will be done in a shop (I will do all the prep work though).. But I will do everything else...

Comment

Parts being put away...

Work continues on the car too...

Got all the screws out for the front valence without breaking any...

Dropped the valance, pretty good shape I think... no doubt I'll buy a new one though!!

Looks awesome like this...

Rads good but Im gonna get a new one, this one will never clean up proper...

Gonna loose that ABS unit anddo an ABS delete... somehow...

Lots of grease to clean out... and that damn rust...

Finished the day by cleaning off the ww container. Looks like new....

Comment

Also got the doors are off and those with keen eyesight will see the trunk lid is off too... Removing the pins is the EASY way of removing the doors... I left the brackets in place... RH door will have to be replaced though..Bottom is rusted out...

Written notes on pics are for my reference...cause I'll forget sh*t...

No clue what that blue wire is for...

I like the look of her, all stripped down... sexy...

Next up is getting some of the accessories off the engine...

Comment

Lots of time off this month so Im working hard...

Comment

Working...
                              X