No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out to work on the heads last night, found that my overhead lighting was all dead The florescent bulbs have been burning out one by one, right to left, since we moved in... The final one went... Pulled it out and there was a big hole in it, it went out with a bang I guess. Upgraded to LED's, but didn't have time to work after I got back.

Comment

What do you expect to gain from the head work? You're a lucky guy getting your hands on some gt40p's, I've been in my garage home porting e7's just to gain whatever little flow I can :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Zanderr View Post
        What do you expect to gain from the head work? You're a lucky guy getting your hands on some gt40p's, I've been in my garage home porting e7's just to gain whatever little flow I can :rofl:
        I won't be doing any porting on them, just wanted to be able to do 3/8" studs/guides, roller rockers, etc. I'll eventually go aluminum heads, so I'll be able to sell these on to another enthusiast I'm sure. GT40 and GT40P heads are pretty easy to find here in Austin, the junkyard has several V8 Explorers/Mountaineers.

Comment

Got plenty of work done today. Lapped the valves in on both heads, and installed them. Spring height is good, going very smooth so far.

The cam parts I need will be here tomorrow, so I'll be finishing up the cam install, then installing the heads. Moving right along now!

Comment

Confirmed I can use stock length pushrods, so I'll order those now.

Comment

Hardened push rods and starter index plate ordered.

Comment

Bell housing and clutch fork just showed up, all that I'm missing now is clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft.

Comment

What's the ratio on those rockers? Good that you were able to upgrade the studs.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    What's the ratio on those rockers? Good that you were able to upgrade the studs.
                    Using 1.6 for now, that will give me 0.565" lift intake and 0.574" lift exhaust.

We've got snow and ice coming in tomorrow, might have the day off. If I do I'll be installing the rest of the guide plates and studs while I wait for my push rods to arrive.

Comment

Had the day off work because of freezing rain/sleet/snow, so got the rest of the studs and guide plates installed, and got the rockers ready for when the push rods get here. Decided to work on my valve covers, these were some aluminum covers I got from eBay, they were powdercoated solid black. I went ahead and ran them across my belt sander to take the finish off the fins, gives it a nice classy look. Here they are sitting in place:

Comment

Looking good! If only there were an easy way to get a BMW logo built into the center of the VC lines :p
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                          Looking good! If only there were an easy way to get a BMW logo built into the center of the VC lines :p
                          I thought the same thing

My starter index plate shipped yesterday, but still waiting on the push rods to ship... Believe they're shipping directly from Comp Cams...

Comment

Are you keepin a tally of what you're putting into the swap? I'm curious to see how much cheddar it'll be all said and done since 302 stuff is so cheap (and makes great power).

Also, what's the brake booster situation you're working on? I see a geo booster but didn't see any plans you had for mounting it.
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Haven't done anything car side yet. No, not keeping a tally, need plausible deniability with the wife

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                                It would be fairly easy to get a circle of the appropriate diameter milled out of the fins so that a roundel could be placed in it.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X