No announcement yet.

Half-Life | '91 DS 318iS Slicktop | Track & Weekend Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a good update! I installed my brake backing plates a while back but haven't bought the adapters yet to finish off the install. Also, great news on the E36 firing up!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Some pictures from Cars & Coffee last weekend. Photo credit to Mike Melnick.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Did you trim your IE silicone coolant hose? Mine sits a little high and Ive been thinking about trimming part of it back.

Car looks fantastic as usual. Always an inspiration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't trimmed those. The one that fits the worst is the one from the water pump to the top of the thermostat, but it's not that bad.

Thanks for the kind words all!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Do you recall how long the AFM delete tube was? Also is your intake the KAM unit with a 3" to 2.75" coupler on it? I'm getting ready to set up my MS2 and am using your car as a model. Thanks in advance!
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I can measure it but IIRC it's about 8" long. 3" to 2.75" coupler from the intake to the tube. The 2.75" tube is a really tight fit into the silicone intake elbow I have. The stock rubber one probably has more play/give.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                I may have missed the post about this one....but what is that radiator cowl you got going on there?

89 325i 4dr s52
                02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                  I may have missed the post about this one....but what is that radiator cowl you got going on there?
                  I may be mistaken but I think that's a stock piece. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                    I may be mistaken but I think that's a stock piece. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                    hmm....well now i feel dumb, my 325i never had that lol
                    89 325i 4dr s52
                    02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                    21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                      hmm....well now i feel dumb, my 325i never had that lol
                      Don't. I have literally only seen them on resto projects. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Love reading about your build. Yours and Jordan's are my favorite going on right now (besides mine of course!)

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        Lastly, here is where I placed the breather for my tranny vent. Thankful that the hose I ran has solved the last of the leaking on my G260!

This is something I want to do to my G260 before it goes back in the car. What kind of hose did you use? Fuel? Did you use a hose clamp to attach the hose to the metal breather tube? Or did you tap the outside of the metal breather and use some kind of female fitting?Thanks!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

The stock plastic undertray doesn't have much to do with the radiator, more with engine bay aerodynamics and oil pan cooling. I also more recently used it for holding/mounting my brake ducting tubing.

The tranny overflow vent tubing is 1/2" whatever tubing I could find at the auto parts store. It's not important what it is; this is probably coolant line. I used hose clamps because I did it while the tranny was in the car, but some day I'd like to put a fitting on it. There isn't much meat to put the hose clamp on. I originally used 2 or 3 feet of tubing and eventually I pushed fluid all the way out of that! I added in another 4 feet and coiled it up by the intake manifold and haven't had any problems since. I'd do at least 5-6'.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Well I've been meaning to post an update! First off with the E36, since there isn't too much new there.

Last we left off, I got it running! It fired right up once I had everything sorted out. I did an M50 manifold swap and left the OBDI IAT sensor in the manifold. As it turns out that's a no-no since they read differently than the OBDII sensors. I'm sure a lot of people have done this and never even realized, because the OBDI sensor will plug right into the OBDII harness. I bought a Bimmerworld re-threaded OBDII sensor to fit the OBDI manifold.

I have a bunch of parts waiting to go into the M3. I pulled the tranny as the 5th gear detent pins were shot. I ordered the parts but dropped it off at Road N Race to have them install the detents and a new input flange on the diff (it was removed for an unknown reason). I didn't want to mess with either of those things, plus I've been busy.

Good news on the M3 front is that the diff is built! Looks like Racing Diffs 30/60 ramps. I am not sure how many or what clutches, but this is another nice hidden gem in this car that I picked up for a song.

I strongly considered putting this diff in my E30, but in the end I think it's going to be less work to just have the E30 diff built up eventually. Plus, after the labor to swap the guts of both diffs, the price difference probably wouldn't be that great.

The engine bay is pretty much done at this point. Remaining things to do include putting the tranny, driveshaft, shifter assembly, and diff back into the car. Then reinstalling the brakes and doing a full nut-and-bolt check. Past that I just need to put a seat and belts in the car, get it aligned, and it should be pretty much ready to go.

Lastly, this JGTC car is my inspiration for the E36. Going to come up with a livery somewhat similar, which will be easy as I have most of the red body panels already!

Got a fuel jug rack for the trailer.

Had a successful outing at that track in Sebring in June. Nothing new to really report on the car. The new brake rotors look brand new still with the cooling ducts and backing plates on them now.

After Sebring I didn't do much to the cart other than a safety check and nut-and-bolt, but the one project I did do was putting heat shielding back on the exhaust. I didn't have anything save for the little bits in the engine bay. I had to modify the area by the CSB due to the custom exhaust, and I also added in some DEI heat insulator to the heat shield by the gas tank as well as on the gas tank itself. Having nothing there and the exhaust being so close, I am sure I was heating up my fuel more than necessary!

Section by the muffler.

Wrapped the section by the gas tank in heat insulator:

Had to make some cuts to clear the hangers and the curve near the CSB:

On the road to Homestead. Miami traffic is horrible.

Cool photo taken by Carlos at Condor Speed Shop:

That's it for now. Not sure what is next. The car needs a good cleaning! I will probably work on some small cosmetic projects soon. The car doesn't need anything major mechanically, although I do need to get it on the dyno again for NASA TT power:weight classification.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Annndddd pictures from Homestead.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Looks right at home. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X