No announcement yet.

Half-Life | '91 DS 318iS Slicktop | Track & Weekend Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update... kind of depressing how dead the forums are.

Headed back to Sebring this weekend. Since Homestead, I haven't done too much. My big project was adding some more peripherals, and then hardwiring ALL the peripherals. For instance, I was charging everything every evening at the hotel when at track events. Now I added in a transponder and an AiM Solo2 and I wasn't about to be charging even more things! The transponder and Solo2 are 12v, and the other 3 are 5v. I bought a small 3 port 5v USB car charger with a cigarette port, and then just cut that off and hard wired it to the car. I added in a switched bus bar for 12v switched power, and put everything on that. It's mounted high on the tranny tunnel, underneath the dash. I put power to the bus bar from the original cig lighter wire, which is 12v constant. I put it through a switch though. It's nice because you can turn on and test the peripherals without the key on. For instance, I had the car hooked up to the battery charger the other day, so I also switched on all the peripherals to make sure they are all fully charged as well before I go to the track this weekend. The batteries don't REALLY need to be charged, but they are a fail safe in case something happens with the wiring. Otherwise, they are all going to run off the car from now on (permanently plugged in).

Made a bracket for the transponder. It's mounted where the little A/C drier was in the front right corner of the engine bay, behind the passenger side headlights.

Solo2 mounted to the left of the wheel, Mylaps Racekey mounted to the right of the tablet dash. The Racekey is part of the transponder system.

I mounted a small 1.75L foam fire extinguisher next to the ebrake. Marked it up, drilled holes, used M6 rivnuts and some steel spacers for the bracket. To lift the bracket up off the center console a little bit.

I bought some more wheels locally. I need to clear some stuff out. Most of these are on the way out. The 17x9 SSR Integral A2's are going to stay, those are going to go on the E36. I am not sure what is next for my car. I fit 13 wheels in the back of the X5 easily and could still see out the back window. Then fit 12 more the next day to get all the tires dismounted.

These are my latest obsession for the E30. SSR Comp C's in bronze. They are stupid light. Maybe I'll find a set to run...

Last edited by Digitalwave; 11-07-2022, 02:31 PM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I'm still here! Running a skeleton crew of true enthusiasts. Haha! Too bad those wheels aren't 4x100... Love your setup. Keeps me motivated.

Comment

Definitely still here and appreciative of thread updates! Thats a crap load of wheel sets. Are those ssr's lighter than the kosei's?

I accidentally won an ebay auction for some style 3's and now I'm thinking about 5 lug swapping.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          Small update... kind of depressing how dead the forums are.
          Yeah, posting seems to have dropped off quite a bit lately. Always love your updates!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            Yeah, posting seems to have dropped off quite a bit lately. Always love your updates!
            I'd post more, but nobody wants to see tons of posts about unfinished work so I've held off. The internet wants the instant gratification!

Comment

Keep posting. I enjoy reading the updates!
              I think the lack of post might be due to the forum updates.

Comment

nice wheel collection ya got there!
                89 325i 4dr s52
                02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  I'm still here! Running a skeleton crew of true enthusiasts. Haha! Too bad those wheels aren't 4x100... Love your setup. Keeps me motivated.
                  Thanks, always glad to see someone is reading! Haha

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  Definitely still here and appreciative of thread updates! Thats a crap load of wheel sets. Are those ssr's lighter than the kosei's?

I accidentally won an ebay auction for some style 3's and now I'm thinking about 5 lug swapping.
                  The Kosei's are somewhere around 13-14lbs and are 15x8, the SSR Integral's are 17x9" so they are a bit heavier at around 18lbs. Still fairly light for the size of the wheel. The Comp C's I've been lusting over are ~14lbs in 17x8"!

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  Originally posted by amcp View Post
                  Keep posting. I enjoy reading the updates!
                  I think the lack of post might be due to the forum updates.
                  Yeah, the forum has been really buggy since the new update and I think a lot of people hate the new look/theme.

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                  nice wheel collection ya got there!
                  Thanks! Most are going to be sold soon to make way for one or two new sets for the E30. I love the Style 4's, but I really want to shed some rotational mass. In 16x8 the Style 4's are 18lbs, in 17x8" those SSR Comp C's are 14lbs! Combined with a 17" tire being 1-3lbs lighter, that would be a significant amount of rotational mass shed.
                  Last edited by Digitalwave; 11-07-2022, 02:32 PM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                    Unless someone really needs access to cheaper big brake kits or high end coilovers options, I try to steer people away from E36 5-lug swaps because the geometry is just so far off from E30 stuff. I have E30 M3 parts, but only because they were bought years ago when they were relatively cheap and easy to find. These days, they are stupid expensive. For a street car, adapters are probably more than fine. Style 3's, being only 7" wide, would work pretty well with 18mm adapters I think. Your final or effective offset would be about the same with 18mm or 20mm adapters as if you 5 lug swapped with E36 parts, since E36 parts increase the track width.
                    The only workable solution I've seen is the GC kit but I'm already in deep with my standard GC kit. I'll look into the adapters a little bit more. Seems to be about the same price as fill and drill anyways.
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I feel R3v has slowed down since that stint on the classifieds section where everything was directed to be sold through a third party website. That was a horrible idea. I remember each day trying to keep up with everything for sale and if I missed a day of looking, I would have 4 or so pages to catch up on. Then that happened and hardly anyone posted.

I don't love the new design but it is growing on me. I don't know what the meter is under our names and titles or how it is filled. Someone needs to post a sticky on how to use new R3v.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Also, why do I get so many "notifications" at the top of my screen and how TF do I make them never show again?

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                          I feel R3v has slowed down since that stint on the classifieds section where everything was directed to be sold through a third party website. That was a horrible idea. I remember each day trying to keep up with everything for sale and if I missed a day of looking, I would have 4 or so pages to catch up on. Then that happened and hardly anyone posted.

I don't love the new design but it is growing on me. I don't know what the meter is under our names and titles or how it is filled. Someone needs to post a sticky on how to use new R3v.
                          Thats what drove me away. Now I only visit to check the new classifieds and when I get notifications for my favorite threads (Like this one).

Edit: Well not drove me away, but when the classifieds died, traffic slowed down across the forum and I had less reason to visit.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Nice work wiring everything up. That was a good move and I'm sure makes the whole driving/racing experience more enjoyable. It's the little things...

Also an impressive collection of wheels! And yea, we're still watching and reading. Though forum traffic does seem to have died down considerably. Feels like it's just mostly the die hard devoted followers left now.
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Waiting one some more pics and I'll post an update from Sebring. In the mean time got these bangers from GrabMyKnob / Giff Photography

RISING EDGE

Comment

So epic.

Comment

Working...
                                X