No announcement yet.

An Emerald in the Rough - 12/1986 Dinan M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad to see the turbo kit go, but OTOH it's nice to be able to enjoy the car now.

All too often I hear horror stories about "tuners" that ruin the taste in people's mouths about boost. A competent tuner should be able to drive a running car on a dyno and be done in a couple/few hours. On the flip side of the coin, have had cars come in the shop that "just needs a tune to get running" and ended up costing thousands fixing other shops lack of abilities.

Such a cool car! I actually kinda like the color too - have a soft spot for green for some reason.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks all. Been really enjoying driving it everywhere I can this week. No plans for euro bumpers - to do the conversion properly is a lot of work and I cannot see doing it to a green car...and if I'm going to the effort of repainting it black, the diving boards are 100% staying.

John, I totally agree with you and it 100% soured what little interest I had in forced induction. Too bad, but it is what it is. The green is actually growing on me too, lol.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I think it's time to find some proper stock M5 wheels. Those are too big on the car. :)
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Were you by chance cruising on 26 by Hood today? I saw a green E28M5 and thought it had to be you.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Ha!! That was I. Took the lady and doggos for a long drive.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
              Ha!! That was I. Took the lady and doggos for a long drive.
              How funny. There was a beautiful R107 cruising behind you. I saw a minty zinno late Vert 3mins before I saw you by Ramona.

The car looked great, man!

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                How funny. There was a beautiful R107 cruising behind you. I saw a minty zinno late Vert 3mins before I saw you by Ramona.

The car looked great, man!
                Yup, I passed him coming down Hwy 35. It looked pretty nice. I saw the cabrio, too. Had no idea you were in town - you should have said something! Would be great to meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post

Yup, I passed him coming down Hwy 35. It looked pretty nice. I saw the cabrio, too. Had no idea you were in town - you should have said something! Would be great to meet up.
                  We are doing a hiking trip all over Oregon! The lady has never been- my brother and sis are also out here with us (my Sister has spent the last ten summers in Govy). I will have some time to kill on Saturday afternoon by PDX before our flight departs. If you’ll be around I could drop by!

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

We are doing a hiking trip all over Oregon! The lady has never been - my brother and sis are also out here with us (my Sister has spent the last ten summers in Govy). I will have some time to kill on Saturday afternoon by PDX before our flight departs. If you’ll be around I could drop by!
                    Oh, that's rad! Hope you guys had a nice time.

That works well! I am not far from the airport - about 10 minutes down the road. Would love to meet you!

Comment

not a whole lot to update here, so i'll let the pictures do the talking.

a good friend and i installed the Spax suspension kit, late last year - he was the driving force behind getting it on the car (i've owned the parts almost as long as the car )

after many, many months of looking, i scored a NOS e28 m5 intake silencer box, likely one of the last in the world. felt very fortunate that i stumbled across it, it certainly makes the engine bay look that much nicer.

i also stumbled upon some pictures of the car, about ~5 years before my purchase. hard to believe how far the car has come since that time. wow.

aside from that, it goes through a lot of non-ethanol 92 octane and i cannot complain. it makes some of the most beautiful noises in the world. it's hard not to fall in love with the car, a little more, each time i drive it.

Comment

man that car cleaned up good!
                        /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Glad the injectors from the old turbo setup get to live on in my machine, I can only hope mine cleans up as nice one day!

This thing is sweet

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                            Glad the injectors from the old turbo setup get to live on in my machine, I can only hope mine cleans up as nice one day!

This thing is sweet
                            sounds like we both win in this situation - i hope you enjoy them!

Comment

I love this car, and am happy to see that you’re getting to enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                              X