No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got up nice and early for an AutoX on Saturday, heading east meant I got to watch the sunrise... not a bad way to start the day, though it was a bit chilly!

...and about an hour later, I arrived at AutoClub Speedway!

and the wonderful backdrop of the track

We were in the first run group, so no messing around. Lets get right to it!

We were going to use the GoPro on the runs, but for some reason it wasnt really cooperating so all we have is sideline footage. I'll see if I can make it worth a view. Heres one pic from a run

The helmet cant hide the smile post-run!

Overall, the car ran great! A couple of the sharp turns were draining the carbs and hurting the runs, otherwise it was a blast. The tires are also beginning to show their age, but they still got nicely heat cycled and should be good for the remainder of this year. I think I will do some more autox's this year as it was fun and I dont think the car will be ready for the big tracks... yet!...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looking good, so happy for you that you can finally enjoy it on some events. I'd love to see on board footage next time around as well.
      '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

great post! looks like a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
          Looking good, so happy for you that you can finally enjoy it on some events. I'd love to see on board footage next time around as well.
          Thanks, I definitely had fun. I put this together with what I had, hope you guys like it. Listening to any and all feedback!

Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Listening to any and all feedback!
            Ditch the music, use a plain font that's easy to read, and make sure that if it's dark font, it's over light background in the video and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Ditch the music, use a plain font that's easy to read, and make sure that if it's dark font, it's over light background in the video and vice versa.
              Yea for most of the drive videos I skip the music, but this one was quite boring without it... I actually wanted to have an "intro" soundtrack but liked it so I left it all in, and turned it down a little so you could still hear the motor when it goes to WOT.

I'm trying out different fonts from video to video, I think the previous ones were definitely easier to read. I was also trying to match the color of the font with the color of the car, but thats a good idea too...I kinda knew this one was going to be a weaker video so I figured I could try out some new things with it.

Thanks.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

rturbo 930 I think you'll like these videos...

Had some fun driving this weekend with the San Gabriel Valley Roadster guys, though by the time we made it to the top, we went from 10 - 3... The Red cars made it to the top, sorry Darrel!

The lineup at the Purpose Built Garage

Once we left we stopped and waited for the others who needed fuel. At this point we dropped from 10 to 8. Lost the only Z in the group...

and from here we proceeded to make the drive up the hill. Stopped once more for a group shot which those pics will come soon. They were taken with a real camera and not my iphone so those will take a minute to prepare... we also lost another pair of cars. Down to 6. I also decided to move further up in the lineup with the more "spirited" drivers... and this was the video from that run:

Needless to say, Mike was pretty shaken. I couldnt imagine how I would feel if that was me in my own car and I dont have anywhere near the time and investment into it... He and the 997 left after this run and the group trimmed down to a reasonable 4. Say what you will about our pace, but it takes 2 idiots to cause a crash and luckily Mike isnt an idiot and avoided it. My stock Roadster brakes were also up to the task. This is also one of the reasons I like to drive early and alone to minimize the risk...

Anyways carrying on, this was video was the second half of the trip up.

At the peak there were some younger bros taking pics of their whips and got excited with the trio of red Roadsters. From here we went about our own paths and I joined Darrel lower down the hill so that we could make the drive back to Inglewood.

Stopped at the water tower on the way back down to snap a few pics of my own

The view from the water tower that you couldnt quite see from the road... wow

Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Jesus F***ing Christ. Watching that gave me goosebumps.... yea sure you guys were moving, but that subaru was just reckless stupidity.

Anyway, looked like fun and the car sounds great! I ought to be ready for an autox in 3-4 weeks!
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Jeez, What a Moron! A Move like that spoils the fun for the rest of the drive.

Love it when you have to slow down for the others in the second Video, Lol.

Also, I could listen to the sound your car makes all day, every day.
                    1990 325i
                    2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                    sigpic

Comment

stupid move, glad you guys and your cars made it through safely. sounds really good.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        rturbo 930 I think you'll like these videos...
                        Sounds sick dude. I have a soft spot for the roadsters, those videos kinda make me want one lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          Sounds sick dude. I have a soft spot for the roadsters, those videos kinda make me want one lol.
                          It certainly sounds great and its hard not to lean into the throttle! Im getting absolutely horrible mpg, but luckily this car isnt my daily... though I have considered daily driving it since I sold my E30 but Im not going to do that.

Anyways, I attended to something that had been bothering me for a while... the Personal Steering wheel that was on the car. Since I got the car the leather was shot so my "temp" fix 2+ years ago was some bicycle handlebar wrap. It wasnt bad, but after some yanking on the wheel with my last few drives its really showing its true colors and needed to go. I found a great aftermarket wheel that looked great. It wasnt an authentic Momo or Nardi but I loved how it looked so consider this the next "temp" wheel, so maybe in 2023 I will have the final wheel, but who knows!

The problem with this wheel was its Momo bolt pattern and my Personal/ Nardi hub. I couldnt find anyone who wanted to trade hubs and didnt find a Nardi that I loved so I figured lets buy an adapter. Im usually anti adapter, but this was a well built piece. It arrived this afternoon and earlier today I bought that wheel, so tonight was installation time.

The old allen bolts mostly came out easily, all but two and those turned into a problem...

Seeing as how those were not going to be reused, especially being stripped and all, it was time to make a final solution.

Now that its about to come off, heres the final look and final time the old Personal wheel will be on the car

And without further adieu

I still dont know what Im going to do with the horn button, but since my horn has a mind of its own, Im not rushing. I dont like the Momo and the old Datsun one doesnt look right. Any suggestions?..

Another view

The Personal wheel was retired to the garage wall

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

The new wheel looks nice. Similar to a momo prototipo.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              The new wheel looks nice. Similar to a momo prototipo.
                              Similar in look, far inferior in quality! haha I will upgrade from this eventually, but its a step up from the previous steering wheel
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

that really ties the room together.

Comment

Working...
                                X