No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first car was a 64 122s and I currently own an s50e30!!!!! loved this thread!!!

Comment

Wow!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Great looking cars. I love both volvo's and e30...Looking forward to seeing more

Comment

Just like everything else, trying to do something simple turns into more. Just trying to install a short shifter and the selector on the trans’ bushing was shot. Looks like you’re just supposed to replace it whole. I just bored out what was left and made some aluminum replacement bushings.

On a side note, I think I found the issue with my vibration at 35ish MPH. Apparently when I replaced the CSB, I marked it before disassembly, but did not reassemble is with the correct clocking. We’ll see next time I’m on the road.

Second side note, this weighs +/- 60lbs

Comment

there are some bill hilly engineered shenanigans going on with that exhaust. who the heck thought it would be a good idea to go from a single pipe for the first two feet and then into two?

I expect you will chuck most of that shit in the trash and start over.

I've never seen anyone rebuild that shifter joint. more power to you! I really would like to get a lathe/mill one day soon.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              there are some bill hilly engineered shenanigans going on with that exhaust. who the heck thought it would be a good idea to go from a single pipe for the first two feet and then into two?

I expect you will chuck most of that shit in the trash and start over.

I've never seen anyone rebuild that shifter joint. more power to you! I really would like to get a lathe/mill one day soon.

I can only think that at least part of it is cause it’s a grey market car and they might’ve needed to add a cat? This is the garbage before where I cut it.

The entire thing is getting tossed. I’ve already started the slow process of rebuilding.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Got some more exhaust done today. Including the aluminum resonator. Weighing everything as I go. The cluster F(you know the rest) of an exhaust system that was on there weighed 60.5 lbs from manifold flanges to tips.

New downpipe (not sure the technical term on non-turbo cars). Stainless to just behind the trans.

Weighing in at 13.5lbs. I am running single 3”. I have already read everywhere that 2.5” is optimum for the M20, but I’m trying to future proof the setup. I’m ok with a little loss now to not have to rebuild later.

Aluminum resonator

(Perforated aluminum is a biatch to weld)

4 lb resonator. It actually does quite a bit too. I put the V band on it and clamped it on quick like. I’ll get a video to upload tomorrow. Still have to build the muffler and finish the axle back. I’m to the rear crossmember at this point though.
                Last edited by adam.nonis; 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

bravo!
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Got a little more if the back half done and a representative hanger. Went as thin as possible to get under the crossmember/axle.

Comment

Aluminum exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        Aluminum exhaust?

Aluminum from the back of the trans back.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                          Aluminum from the back of the trans back.
                          Gotcha. Also, watch out for the copper shift knob. It *will* get hot AF if the sun hits it for any amount of time. I used to have an pretty solid SS knob and it was unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            Gotcha. Also, watch out for the copper shift knob. It *will* get hot AF if the sun hits it for any amount of time. I used to have an pretty solid SS knob and it was unbearable.

I know. I’m dreading it a little. My buddy had the same issue with a stainless knob. Used to pull his shirt sleeve over his hand.

Comment

Damn dude.

That's really impressive, are you doing this in a shop or at your garage?

I'm living in Seattle too so I'm just curious where you have the space to work on stuff like this, it's too awesome.
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                                Damn dude.

That's really impressive, are you doing this in a shop or at your garage?

I'm living in Seattle too so I'm just curious where you have the space to work on stuff like this, it's too awesome.

90% happens in my driveway under pop-up tents. The rest happens at my buddy’s shop. I do odd stuff for them and they let me have a key and come and go as I need. I can’t leave the car at their shop for very long though as they’re an active shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X