No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick it down the cylinders so you can torque your crankshaft nut!

Comment

Some kind of wiring loom?
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Throttle cables
        m106 1990 e30
        e36 daily
        e32 cruiser

Comment

But more likely, wrapping something for aesthetics. Steering wheel perhaps?
          m106 1990 e30
          e36 daily
          e32 cruiser

Comment

Window glass?

Comment

Haha can't wait to hear what that rope is for. Project looks amazing!
              F80 M3 Alpine
              E10 Fjord Blue 2002
              E28 Blackish 535i
              E21 Silver 320i
              Disco1 98 4.6
              ~~~~~~
              E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
              E30 325i SOLD
              E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
              E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                I'm not looking to make any extras. I'd be more than happy to share any CAD files though.

Awesome work man! Would be down for a copy of the CAD files once you're done. Good luck with the rest of your build. Will you have a build thread for whatever this is going on?

Comment

either checking belts, maybe running battery cables, or some weird shit with motor

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                    Some kind of wiring loom?

Ding-ding-ding. Gutter, tell him what's he's won.

I know it's not something E30 guys would be the slightest bit interested in, but for this build I wanted a vintage look. I buy a bunch of different diameter ropes because you can pull the middle out and just use the outside as loom.

First I mark the plug and take pictures of the wire positions

Then I de-pin the plug, fold the wires back on themselves (in different levels to keep the diameter small) and tape them up to pull the boots off

I get different sizes of rope in the same colorway (thanks Amazon) and cut the rope to length matching the runs of wire, pull the middle out and heat seal the ends

Then simply slide the sleeve over the wire and use real Tesa Tape at the junction like OEM

Then I tape the cut end of a ziptie in the end of the loom

Dunk the boot in soapy water and pull it over the ziptie/sleeve

I typically don't put the plugs back on until I'm completely done in case I need to change something or run them through another loom. When I'm all done I spray it with this goodness just to be sure

Sorry some of my pictures are blurry, my phone has been doing that just recently and I forget to check each pic, then I get waaaaaay past that step and it's too late to retake it

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                      Awesome work man! Would be down for a copy of the CAD files once you're done. Good luck with the rest of your build. Will you have a build thread for whatever this is going on?

It's going on this car. You're in the right spot

Comment

Very cool!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Strange PNW Build

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                          It's going on this car. You're in the right spot

I did not even notice I was posting in a build thread, tapatalk can get the best of me sometimes.

I really like the way you did the harness. I recently tore one apart to fix a wire that corroded, already got the tesa tape and will be ordering some rope to do just this, what thickness rope did you use? And got any tips on getting the pins out of the connectors? Those things can be a pain and is usually easier to break them apart, or do you also break them apart and buy new ones?
                          Last edited by mbonanni; 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                            I did not even notice I was posting in a build thread, tapatalk can get the best of me sometimes.

I really like the way you did the harness. I recently tore one apart to fix a wire that corroded, already got the tesa tape and will be ordering some rope to do just this, what thickness rope did you use? And got any tips on getting the pins out of the connectors? Those things can be a pain and is usually easier to break them apart, or do you also break them apart and buy new ones?

I use 1/4" (most of this size), 3/8" and 5/8" (my 5/8" hasn't arrived just yet). I have a pin removal kit, but yes, they can be finicky.

Comment

Back to the ITBs. Using the calculator from before, I know the length of runner (velocity stack) I need, but after lots of searching, they're just too expensive to buy. I'm going to make my own from composite. I started building the plug to make a mold. I went longer than the calculations called for A) because that should bring peak torque a bit lower in the RPM range and B) because I figure it's a lot easier to shorten the stacks than it would be to lengthen them. I started by drawing the stacks in CAD, cutting some chunks on the router, gluing them together, marking the final radius and sanding the half down

A while back I made myself a "Hot Work Station" that I use for vacu-forming and powdercoating. I used the old oven from my house when we remodeled, a clamp frame made of plywood, a shop vac triggered by a switch when you push the frame down and a board with vacuum channels in it

Then I heated up some ABS and vacu-formed two halves for the plug

(again with the blurry pics. Sorry)

Then I glued the two halves together and filled with casting urethane resin from TAP Plastics

I split the halves of ABS off, drilled a hole through the middle and added some threaded rod to act as a "poor man's lathe" (since I'm broke and don't have a lathe)

Then I added some filler, sanded and primered. I probably will start the mold process next week, so that's it for now

Comment

omg your wiring loom. That's beautiful! My dad has some old braided wire like that we put in an old (1970's) guitar when I redid the electronics. Some people go crazy over that period correct stuff but it was just what he had lying around!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                                X