*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
    Ah, right. What I guess I meant was, make the conversion really nice, so that when
    some butthead like me tries to pick it apart, all the potentially messy 122/e30 joints
    look like they were always like that.

t
    with an amazon and 2 e30s in the barn.
    I'll do my best to make you proud. :)

Comment

Made myself a 2" dimple die for panel work. A bead roller just isn't in my budget right now. The family and I have taken on a foster son so money will be tight for a while.

Comment

Just been doing a bunch of boring stuff on the car lately. Tying the Volvo cowl inlet to the E30 cowl/fan area. Making sure there's water drainage. Tying the two cars together in the under dash area, seam sealing, etc. I'll post some pics when there's something cool to look at again.

Comment

I love this. Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Thanks to spiDmang I was able to grab some bits to play with during "quiet time". Also, since I know the two chassis' will fit together, I can start playing with the stuff I WANT to. Following the ITB DIY I read on here I started a similar route.

First I took a stock intake and cut most of the runners/plenum off

Then I flipped it and drew some 2D CAD of the head side (mostly in case I decided to make my own flange for the head

Then I did some 2D CAD of the cut side

I'm going to use GSXR600 throttle bodies since they're 38mm which is almost exactly the same size as the runner, they are seperatable (I don't think that's a word) so I can set the spacing and they're cheap. I bought two sets of four for +/- $70 total

Instead of using silicone couplers, I'm going to use o-rings around the bottoms and make a flange to weld to the leftover OEM intake. I'd like a solid mount instead of flexible couplers and I know it's best to have the throttle plate close to the valve

More 2D CAD

I like to mock up with MDF since it's cheap and machinable

I'm going to use the stock injector port for fuel

And the motorcycle port for vacuum accessory pull off rail

I found a calculator online to help determine length of runner for the velocity stacks. I think I'll use a second harmonic tuning length

I still need to mill the OE manifold part at an angle to kick the ITBs up at an angle and to hopefully even up the runner cross section from the middle (4) runners and the outer (2) and then cut some actual aluminum parts. For phase 1 I'm going to run a plenum on the stacks and keep the AFM in the chain similar to the E30 M3

Comment

You're such a fuckin gangster.

Amazing work, Adam!
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

This just keeps getting better.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

That is genuinely impressive.

What sorts of software and milling machine are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    That is genuinely impressive.

What sorts of software and milling machine are you using?

For my personal stuff I just use BobCAD and Mach3 to control the router. The machine is a Kelling KL6090 I got off Amazon years ago. I'm not sure it still exists.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                      Thanks to spiDmang I was able to grab some bits to play with during "quiet time". Also, since I know the two chassis' will fit together, I can start playing with the stuff I WANT to. Following the ITB DIY I read on here I started a similar route.

First I took a stock intake and cut most of the runners/plenum off

Then I flipped it and drew some 2D CAD of the head side (mostly in case I decided to make my own flange for the head

Then I did some 2D CAD of the cut side

I'm going to use GSXR600 throttle bodies since they're 38mm which is almost exactly the same size as the runner, they are seperatable (I don't think that's a word) so I can set the spacing and they're cheap. I bought two sets of four for +/- $70 total

Instead of using silicone couplers, I'm going to use o-rings around the bottoms and make a flange to weld to the leftover OEM intake. I'd like a solid mount instead of flexible couplers and I know it's best to have the throttle plate close to the valve

More 2D CAD

I like to mock up with MDF since it's cheap and machinable

I'm going to use the stock injector port for fuel

And the motorcycle port for vacuum accessory pull off rail

I found a calculator online to help determine length of runner for the velocity stacks. I think I'll use a second harmonic tuning length

I still need to mill the OE manifold part at an angle to kick the ITBs up at an angle and to hopefully even up the runner cross section from the middle (4) runners and the outer (2) and then cut some actual aluminum parts. For phase 1 I'm going to run a plenum on the stacks and keep the AFM in the chain similar to the E30 M3

This is beyond awesome! If you were to offer these I'd be in for a set!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                        This is beyond awesome! If you were to offer these I'd be in for a set!

I'm not looking to make any extras. I'd be more than happy to share any CAD files though.

Comment

Been going to work early, and getting home late these days. That plus family weekend obligations, and I haven't gotten much sheet metal work done on the chassis. I did pick up some Amazon roof skin panels to help with some transitions last weekend. I did play around a little more with the ITBs though. Everything is getting closer. Relocating the battery to the trunk as well.

Still need to make the throttle body mounts, the fuel rail mounts, the vacuum collector/chamber and blend the transitions a little.

Comment

-Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Anyone wanna wager a guess what this is for? And yes, it IS project related.

Comment

Really long shoelaces for driving boots?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Working...
                                X