No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed departments at work so I've been crazy busy there and the kids have eaten up a bunch of time so there hasn't been a ton of progress. I'm trying to get some stuff buttoned up so I can get to sealing the car up for winter. Painted the back half of the interior sheet metal in black and prepped to spray bedliner in the convertible tub. Turning my attention to the seats since those'll come in short order. Broke out my trusty machine "Betsy"

and started messing with stitch patterns. I need more practice before my top stitch lines will be straight, but it's never gonna be a Riddler winner, so I'm not too concerned. I tried single top stitch, double top stitch: one side and straight double top stitch (French stitch)

The problem I'll run into is patterning. My cloth rear seat is so destroyed that there's literally cloth just missing.

Comment

Is suede centers on seats even still considered cool? Or is that all played out now. I kind of want to break up all vinyl everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
        Is suede centers on seats even still considered cool? Or is that all played out now. I kind of want to break up all vinyl everywhere
        in areas of extreme wear its not a good idea. thats why some suede race seats have vinyl or leather pads on some spots.

its will look like a used coushin after a few years, and kinda be ruffled up. its also this, and is best used as a bolster material

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I know it's been a while. I've been crazy busy at work. Only real thing I've got done is making a grommet for the fuel filler. Seems like a silly thing (and it's ugly as all get out), but it's something. The weather is changing and I need to focus on getting the car sealed up.

Pic previous to finishing the rear floor.

Masking tape template.

Multiple layer cutouts.

:Missing pics of cardboard, masking tape and aluminum tube to replicate filler tube:

Fill the bottom grommet area with platinum silicone, then add thixotropic agent to the remainder and brush over the space filler until about 1/4" thick.

Separate the base mold, peel off the rest and trim the end

Slide it over the filler neck and locate the split in the base over the opening.

Like I said, boring and ugly, but something

Comment

For clarification, the base stack up is as follows. It creates a solid ring with a 3/16" thick "flange" on both sides of the metal where the hole is cut out like a regular grommet would be.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
              I'm no expert on what's cool, but I picked up a seat from a 997 Porsche to put in my E30 and I like the suede center on it. It's heavily bolstered, but the suede adds just an extra bit of grip to keep from sliding around and it isn't as cold as an all leather seat in the morning.

I don't know how many miles were on this seat, but the suede still looks new. I think if you get quality material (which it looks like you are in the habit of doing) it will hold up and look good.

Comment

I like where this is going...sub‘d

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

With winter approching I wouldn't like to see more updates Adam ! Jk good work
                  F80 M3 Alpine
                  E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                  E28 Blackish 535i
                  E21 Silver 320i
                  Disco1 98 4.6
                  ~~~~~~
                  E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                  E30 325i SOLD
                  E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                  E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                  sigpic

Comment

Comment

I drove the car around the block yesterday. No lights, no hood, seat not bolted in, something underneath rattling to death (I think it's the exhaust) and smelling like unburnt fuel, but it made it around the block. I've owned the car for five years and NEVER driven it. Thanks to an E30 and some great guys I was able to drive it in about four months from jumping back in it again. You are some good dudes. Thank you very much.

Comment

Ok, this falls into the "stars aligning" category. I am focusing on getting the car sealed up for winter and I needed to address the wiper system. I was planning on moving the BMW wiper motor inside (that's where the stock Amazon motor is) and building some sort of adapter to make it work with the Volvo linkage. That way the wiring stays BMW and the controls all work.

Turned out to be easier than I expected.

Stock Volvo setup

Volvo motor vs BMW motor

Adjusted mounting height to match Volvo dimensions

Mounted. Done. Just need to reroute the wiring into the car to where the motor sits

Comment

Wow, hard work plus luck=win!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

it was meant to be

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Getting started on the upholstery since it's been raining quite a bit lately. The rear seat factory cloth is TOAST so I'm having to pattern as I go. Probably will only get the rear cushion done this weekend. Foam is always ugly. I sprayed it with bleach water and steamed the foams to "plump" them a bit. I may have to add some thin foam before I hog ring the cover on.

Hopefully some more pictures to come tomorrow.

Comment

really digging this build !
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X