No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got any kid vacancies? You're obviously a good dad.

Comment

Huge shout out to Adam for helping me out when my engine stand bent the other day - super nice guy and an even better fabricator.

Best of luck with your build man, it's looking great so far!

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Originally posted by mila325 View Post
        You got any kid vacancies? You're obviously a good dad.

Sorry. We took in a foster kid in July. We’re pretty packed now. Hahaha.

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
        Huge shout out to Adam for helping me out when my engine stand bent the other day - super nice guy and an even better fabricator.

Best of luck with your build man, it's looking great so far!

Don’t let that cradle disappear when you’re done with it. When it comes time to drop my engine out to paint the bay I think I can lower the whole subframe onto it and roll it out of the way.

I figured the heater box is only gonna be out once. May as well clean it the best I can now.

Last edited by adam.nonis; 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Cool Build. Nice guy! Had the pleasure of supplying a few pieces to this build. The Volvo is nuts - both of them.
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Car

Neat looking....will keep checking for updates

Comment

Wow. Amazing!

Gutter... PCU reference?
              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                Wow. Amazing!

Gutter... PCU reference?

Wow, I didn’t figure anyone would catch that. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                  Wow, I didn’t figure anyone would catch that. Lol
                  Yeah man, I watch that every time it's on TV!

BTW, you are a maniac. At fist I thought for sure you were in Norway or something. Mad skiullz as the kids say.
                  I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

This weekend I didn’t have much available time. It’s Nutcracker season at my daughter’s ballet school so we all are in hectic mode. I did get the heater box swapped out (mine was non-AC, early stuff that I couldn’t find fan covers for), the wiper hubs pressed on to the linkage assembly and started trimming the dash. The bad news is that so much of the dash needs to be trimmed off that the OEM E30 cluster will not fit in the stock placement. The Volvo (stock) had a thin dash and the footwell space was out under the hood. The windshield sits much more vertical than the E30. The E30 has a longer dash and the foot well space is in the car. I think I can metalwork the Volvo firewall a bit and get the cluster to fit further back, but I don’t see it getting far enough back.

To get the vents working I’ll need to basically make adapters for the back of the vents and use flexible hose to get to the heater box (like small shop vac hose). We’ll see when I get the dash fit and mounted a bit better.

Next steps are gonna be tougher since it’s so cold out (fiberglass work in the near future).

Stock Amazon dash:

Trimming:

Comment

out of interest, why are you replacing the classic looking amazon dash with an E30 fascia which is almost impossible to get in good condition? I'd be either keeping it retro, or going modern personally.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
                        out of interest, why are you replacing the classic looking amazon dash with an E30 fascia which is almost impossible to get in good condition? I'd be either keeping it retro, or going modern personally.

All of the electronics are E30. All of the wiring is E30. All of the switches, heater, column, floor, carpet, etc is E30. With the percentages that imbalanced, I can either fit the E30 dash to the Amazon firewall and have everything else just work, or build something from scratch and have to make every single trim and mount and location. Not only is this route more cost effective, it’s more time economical. Which is worth more to me than anything.

Comment

Ahh, fair enough, makes perfect sense then! I had forgotten there was quite to much E30 in it!

Comment

This is an extremely interesting build. I love old volvo's and BMW's.

Comment

what did i just stumble on? this is great. that carbon roof was bananas.

Comment

The narrow front end of the 122 is gonna limit my wheel options a bit. I’ll eventually get custom wheels made to my spec, but what’s on it now are 17x7 adjusted to +38et in the front. Strut clearance is gonna be a limiting factor. More room in the rear though.

Sorry that I took exactly zero pictures of shortening the strut tubes. I took 1.5” out and added spacers to the bottom of the Corrado inserts.

Comment

Working...
                                X