No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh! At least a new DME is relatively cheap...
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think I’m just gonna borrow a DME from my buddy while I swap to Megasquirt. Then I can add my ITBs when I get them done. Just need to have it road worthy for the E30 picnic

Comment

Was disappointing I didn't see you at the meet. Get it fixed quick!
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
          Was disappointing I didn't see you at the meet. Get it fixed quick!

I made it as far as NE 8th in Bellevue.

Comment

Got a little further with the rear tray cover. It’s too big to get in/out if I made it one piece, but I want it to have a pretty big “lid” so I started creating a flange. First though, I needed to build a locator/support for the rear of the panels.

First side gets a plastic baffle to shape

Second side is made off of the first side. Pro tip: upholstery vinyl is about the same thickness as 3M double back tape so if you’re creating an edge that you know is going to be upholstered you can use the tape as a stand in. You’ll see me use it quite often through the interior fabrication process. Here since I know each side will be vinyled, I put two layers on the first flanged fiberglass side.

I missed taking many pics of the next steps. Now I’m going to create the inside flange the “lid” will rest on. This is where it can get confusing if you’ve never used a jello mold in your life cause you need to be thinking backwards and in the future. I stared by laying out where I want my cut to be. Then I laid two layers of double back (for lid vinyl and base vinyl) two wide (for a 1” flange) then masked off the “lid” side so the fiberglass would only stick to the base side.

Then I fiberglassed the flange (missing pics)

—Pause for Nerf gun painting with my son—

Next I cut from the top just through the lid into the double back in about 90% of the parts and put them back in the car. Then I fiberglassed the seam between the two lids.

Once dry I finished cutting the last 10% and began to pry the “lid” loose from the double back and bases.

Then I could pull the three pieces out of the car and peel the masking tape/double back tape and clean up the edges of the flange.

Still have a lot of filler work to do, but those are the steps I’ve done for now.

Comment

You are going above and beyond on projects like these. Yet you want to keep the dash stock because it is easier and less time consuming from my understanding. Is the E30 dash stock for now or do you plan to go above and beyond on that as well later down the road? Keep up the good work.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                You are going above and beyond on projects like these. Yet you want to keep the dash stock because it is easier and less time consuming from my understanding. Is the E30 dash stock for now or do you plan to go above and beyond on that as well later down the road? Keep up the good work.

The “bones” of the dash will stay stock. Of course there’ll be plenty of customizing, but when it comes down to small things like the heater controls, the OE has their mounting points and tolerances on point. I have built custom dash boards as well as looked at a ton of them, and they never look right. They always have this OE part (heater controls, hazard buttons, headlight switches) molded in somewhere and it never looks right. If you think about the parts I’ve built full custom, the scale of the parts is big, and for the most part I control both interfacing surfaces. Trying to 1) mount heater controls in a way that doesn’t foul up and of the cable slides, 2) has exact perimeter fitment and 3) is serviceable/durable is exceptionally difficult. There will be plenty of modding to make the structure fit the vehicle, have conveniences I want (glovebox will become a pocket and mid bass speaker enclosure) and have aesthetics that flow with the vehicle (chrome or polished trim). It’ll just come in time.

Comment

It was great to meet you and your "Volvo" (VE30? I dunno) at the E30 picnic!
                  People, you gotta see this thing in person, it's so awesome!
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

It was a lot of fun this weekend. With both Wagonfest

and the E30 Picnic in the books

I got a lot of sun and met a lot of awesome people. What was really interesting was kind of lurking back a bit and listening to people who have seen some bits and pieces of the car online try and tell their buddies “all about it”. I found out some really interesting stuff. Apparently I have a ginormous shop and imported the car from Sweden. lol

This Saturday is the Greenwood Car Show in Seattle. Should be REALLY interesting to explain to some old timers. Although maybe they’ll get it a bit more.

Comment

Building some stands so people can get a closer look at some of the junctions in the body as well as a peek at the aluminum exhaust.

I measured the camber and built the stands to match. I also put HDPE for the baseplates so it can slip around as you let the jack down

Comment

Started messing with the rear big brake kit. I’ve got a bit more leeway there since I’m running decent sized spacers. Started with having the rotor portion turned off of some stock rear rotors. That gives you a parking brake drum that still works.

That drops right into a Volvo P2R rear rotor (I already had one on hand). Same diameter as the front (330mm) with a 28mm width. I’m going to use the same style Wilson calipers with smaller pistons and an adjustable proportioning valve. Just gotta round up some scratch for more calipers.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

I’ll let you know what the award is when I find out.

Edit: best in class: Swedish

Last edited by adam.nonis; 06-30-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Still here. Just been driving and enjoying the car. Got another photo shoot in the books for an online article. This’ll be a good one.

Comment

I spotted you this morning as you were waiting on 145th to get on lake city way (I was in my blue e36 headed south on lake city). Thing looks pretty good sitting out on the road!
                              Last edited by Rennsport; 07-25-2018, 11:41 AM.
                              m106 1990 e30
                              e36 daily
                              e32 cruiser

Comment

Really cool idea for the rear brakes and maintaining the e-brake, can't wait to see how they turn out.

Comment

Working...
                                X