No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build of the year? More like Build of the century. I've seen a similar chimeras between a Moskvich 407 and an e30, a Peugeot 505 and a Vauxhall Omega and some other odd "couples", but this build is so extensive and well executed (in my eyes), so much detail and plain awesome. By far the best wedding I've seen yet, and the fact an e30 is the bride makes me happy. Thank you and keep amazing us!
    '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
      Speechless I am.
      ^^ Me this is as well.

Adam - Are those mdf ribs the same dimension depth-wise (fore & aft), or do they taper right to left?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        ^^ Me this is as well.

Adam - Are those mdf ribs the same dimension depth-wise (fore & aft), or do they taper right to left?

They’re even across the face. I tried to match the slope (slight radius) front to back to sort of match the contour of the windshield so that as I trimmed the tail off to accommodate the radius of the windshield it wound still wind up meeting the top of the fiberglass piece.

Comment

A+

keep it up !!!
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Some powder coating and concept work.

Adding brass cap nuts to accent the cam cover bolts

Ran a pipe tap down the PCV nipple to add a flare adapter to copper pipe. Waiting on a spring bender to show up before I route it.

Single stage “chrome” powdercoat on the lower intake

Last edited by adam.nonis; 10-02-2018, 05:26 AM.

Comment

i know nothing about those volvo 5cyl but i always liked them allot
              has a cool factor just because it's a 5cyl.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                i know nothing about those volvo 5cyl but i always liked them allot
                has a cool factor just because it's a 5cyl.

Has a great sound too. Something about being a cylinder too many, or too short.

Comment

Since Pick N Pull is have 40% off for members this weekend, I went back and grabbed the oil pan off of that 960. Man, Volvo really wanted to be sure it stayed attached. Sooo many bolts! This is the only RWD configuration for the “whiteblock” (modular) Volvo engine, so typical usage is to section a chunk out of the middle (since this is a six cylinder) to use for 5 cylinder RWD swaps. I’ll probably need to make an ARC Asylum style crossmember to clear the rear sump.

I’m not entirely sure which pan configuration will work for me, or even if this pan will work on an RNC block, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Comment

Getting the mock-up front clip ready to go.

Comment

wait what
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        wait what

Just wanted a way to make vintage looking bolts. They’re alloy M7 fasteners since the cover is also the upper cam bearings. They’ll just be brass “caps” on the bolt heads.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                          I went back and grabbed the oil pan off of that 960. Man, Volvo really wanted to be sure it stayed attached.
                          How are we all feeling about laying under this thing, horsing on the pan bolts, supported on the edge of an old rim, and the engine-trans is apparently hung in the frame with straps?

We've all done this stuff - it just gives me the creeps.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                            How are we all feeling about laying under this thing, horsing on the pan bolts, supported on the edge of an old rim, and the engine-trans is apparently hung in the frame with straps?

We've all done this stuff - it just gives me the creeps.

Well, the wheels are welded to each other, so I’m confident in those (at least as confident as my jack stands). I hung the motor by straps. Before I went under I kicked everything a few time to check. Then I stayed waaaay out of the way and just reached in with my impact gun to make sure I could get out quick. You do what you can.

Comment

Well, you're still here so that's good!

Comment

Haven’t really done anything on my own car. Was traveling for work among having a foreign exchange student staying with us. Trying to get my brother his car back too. Got his head back from the machine shop. Had to check valve lash since it got all new valves and this car runs solid buckets. Volvo LOVES them some “special tools” so I just made my own cam clamp (also put handles on it to help with install) so I could hold the cam down and get feeler gauges in there.

All looks within spec, so I’m going to start reassembly this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X