Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pootis
    replied
    Hey Jordan when you put your windshield back in did you source the oem tape that goes under gasket?

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Sorry, brain fart there... I devised a method to remove them without too much damage so I can reuse them. It would be easier to find replacements, but I haven't had time to look into that as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• redneckvtek
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan View Post

ABS pump with the missing anti-tamper top cover cap because it looks like the platers lost it..... I'll have to destroy another ABS pump to remove one intact and then send just it out for playing... le'sigh.

Sorry, I was referring to the plated dust cap on the top referred to in post 650 (page 44)

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post
    Did you find a source for the anti-tamper caps, or can you get them off and on now without damaging them?
    I had a special tool machined to remove them. Essentially a Giant-ass-torx to 24mm socket adapter.

Leave a comment:

• redneckvtek
    replied
    Did you find a source for the anti-tamper caps, or can you get them off and on now without damaging them?

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Finished assembling the pump last night, got it installed in the car this evening, and got it thoroughly bled with a power bleeder. Bleeding process was a bit more intensive than normal given the amount of air pockets in the pump but it went straight forward. Bled each caliper in order with just the power bleeder but still had a mushy pedal. Then had my wife pump the pedal 5 times per bleed, 3 times per caliper and the pedal was solid as a rock.

I've bled the brakes on a lot of E30's and I can say I have NEVER seen fluid move out the caliper bleeder nipple with the speed and volume this car has now...

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    Glad you didn't smack the curb! I saw you talking about offering this rebuild as a service, and the ballpark price you posted seemed well deserved when you look at the exploded view of the parts.

What was the condition of all the rubber seals and o-rings? Did you re-use them all?
    I can't speak for every pump out there but in the case of my pump, and the spare pump I tore down for extra inner parts selection all of the orings were in splendid shape. No flattening, or hardening. All seals still soft and supple as new with no signs of aging. Whatever material Bosch specified for these is very high quality and has been altogether unbothered by exposure to brake fluid over the years.

Given the soft and plump nature of most of them I see no reason why they cannot be reused once thoroughly cleaned and lubricated upon reassembly with fresh clean brake fluid.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Glad you didn't smack the curb! I saw you talking about offering this rebuild as a service, and the ballpark price you posted seemed well deserved when you look at the exploded view of the parts.

What was the condition of all the rubber seals and o-rings? Did you re-use them all?

Leave a comment:

• RobE30
    replied
    Sounds like a happy ending! That pump is impressive

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Good god Jordan. I almost had a heart attack reading your post. I can only imagine how I would have felt had I been behind the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• Matt@EDC
    replied
    Yoikes! Glad you were able to keep it shiny side up and off the curb!

Thanks for the insight into the insides of the ABS unit.

Leave a comment:

• luckybk
    replied
    Funny how bad days make good stories. Lovely photos as always.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    A somewhat not fun but definitely interesting update for everyone...

The car has 62 miles on it as of now.

The weekend before last I set out to bring the car over to Jon Cooks house to leave it in his garage for safe keeping while I tackle an interim project I don't want to do with it in the garage...

I got about 2 miles from home and saw an opportunity to make a clean swing under a freeway underpass. I stabbed the brakes hard to load the front end and banged my left hander at about 40mph but the car got seriously upset. The rear end was screaming (off throttle) and sliding out from under me like I'd ripped up on the parking brake. It swung out a sold 60 degrees to my intended path and I managed to counter steer into it and snap back the other way but it just kept sliding with the rear wheels locked. It swung back around the opposite way and spun me 180 to the desired direction of travel while sliding sideways straight towards a curb. Luckily it came to a stop about 2ft from the curb with the drivers wheels, with me staring at my wife in front of me wondering why I'm doing dumb shit....

I swallowed my heart from up in my throat and cut the wheel to the right to turn around, but found the engine labored to take off. It was at this point I actually realize what just happened and that the brakes were dragging haaaard. I kicked the pedal a couple times and it seemed to get it rolling well enough. I took a careful path home with next to no brakes, and relied on engine braking and the parking brake to get me back to the garage.

When I got home I put the car up and pulled the air cleaner out of the way and started troubleshooting. Before long it was clear there was an obstruction inside the ABS pump preventing any fluid passing through to the rear wheels, and as it happen... any fluid from returning to the brake reservoir. Once I cracked the rear outlet fitting from the ABS pump the rear wheels spun freely again.

Less than pleased with the reality of having to pull the ABS pump out of the car I put down some wet microfibers, layered with dry on top and undid the fittings and electrical to get it on the bench.

Once it was on the bench I proceeded to tear it down to the failure point. Be mindful this ABS pump was flushed through adequately (so I thought) with brake parts cleaner, and blown through with compressed air prior to being externally vapor blasted, installed in the car, and bled through with fresh fluid.

At the end of the day 30 years of brake fluid builds up gum, varnish and schmutz.... and this schmutz clogged the pre/post filter screens along with the inner ball bearing / sprung check valves and magnetic shuttle valves for ABS activation.

Rear prefilter screen completely clogged

Cleaned front, vs the rear

I had a custom gigantic TORX socket machined to be able to remove these plugs. Behind them is dual ~2oz fluid reservoirs. One side full of gum and schmutz...

This is one of the ABS solenoid valves (sans magnetic coil) AFTER it was both soaked in varsol overnight, and then run for an hour in a $10k milsurp 150F ultrasonic bath... still full of schmutz

After all of that it was time to ultrasonically wash all of the torn down pump components, the small bits on wires so they didn't go and get lost.... and vapor hone the parts that can be cleaned up that way.

The end result is a decidedly complex array of parts. I really didn't think this much was going on inside that pump, but I guess it makes more sense now why the list price on a new pump when it went NLA was $4200 USD...

The eye candy...

Now to carefully reassemble this unit and get it back in the car.
    Last edited by Jordan; 06-06-2020, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sdfe30
    replied
    John at Nine Stitch did the seats, door panels.
    Jordan at Stitchedwheels did the visor panel, visors.

2093cc
    87mm bore
    88mm stroke
    10.5:1 CR
    Ported & polished head
    Competition multi angle valve job
    Stock injectors
    Factory ECU & chip for now.

MarkD chip on the way, will swap out once its crested 100miles.
    awesome, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    This one took a lot out of my physically and financially.
    I feel this is my soul.

Look forward to whatever you decide to do, learned a lot from your builds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X