Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in Schwarz: 1990 325i Resto-mod (S62)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by econti View Post
    This is going to be lethally fast. M5s are fast with one already, I can only imagine how something light and little will be. Subscribing.
    I’m really curious to see how it compares to some of the modern sports cars on the street. Living in Houston, I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities to compare! Either way, it should be a riot to drive. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 325i

Comment

This thing will be stupid fast. My S54 is already a handful, with that much TQ you are really going to have to widen that rear or you will burn through tires constantly.
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by 1panthertxn View Post
        I’m really curious to see how it compares to some of the modern sports cars on the street. Living in Houston, I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities to compare! Either way, it should be a riot to drive. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Power to weight will be there, as long as you can put the power down and shift fast you should rip.
        If only S62s weren't dumb money down here..
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Ya, I’ve known traction would be my biggest problem. I’ll start with the widest, stickiest tires I can fit, and I may eventually consider fender flares again if that doesn’t work well enough.

Got a couple more items checked off the list:

-engine bay painted (nothing fancy, just cleaned and sprayed with POR15 top coat)

-Walbro 255 fuel pump installed (no pics) -Passenger frame rail notched out a bit to make space for the ac compressor and lines.

I also got the S62’s original mounts modified so the new arms can bolt on. I’ll add pics later, but I basically just cut off the actual arms and the rear-most bolt holes that mount to the engine block.

Tomorrow, I’ll finish prepping the firewall and trans tunnel will a little sound deadener and heat shield.
          Last edited by 1panthertxn; 02-03-2020, 12:45 PM.
          1990 325i

Comment

Firewall prepped! Used some Noico sound deadener on the firewall and trans tunnel covered with a cheap foil and foam heat insulation on the firewall. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by 1panthertxn; 02-03-2020, 12:46 PM.
            1990 325i

Comment

Subbed. This is a cool build!
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

Got a few more things done today.

-clutch reservoir installed. Just a $12 motorcycle brake reservoir with an 8mm OD outlet. Pretty happy with the quality.
                -Issue with driver seat mount corrected.
                -Some sound deadening applied to drivers side floor board and door liner.
                -brake booster and hard lines all connected. I’m really happy to see this part all put together and be able to actually test the brake pedal. Everything is very smooth and solid.
                ***To help anyone looking to use this brake setup in the future: the brake master cylinder from the e34 has two ports for front and rear, and the rear port is 12mm vs the 10mm that all of the other brake lines on the e30 are. So, I bought a 12mm male to 10mm female bubble flare adapter for about $10 on ebay. To split the front port for the two front brake, I bought a distribution block identical to the one mounted on the rear of the e30. Because the booster fits in almost the same location as the ABS pump did, I was actually able to just slightly modify all of the existing brake lines and didn't have to bend any new ones.***

http://Untitled by Jack Guillory, on Flickr

I also got my Garagistic chassis mounted shifter installed:
                [IMG]Untitled by Jack Guillory, on Flickr[\IMG]

I also decided to stick a bore scope into the cylinders of the s62 to get an idea of what things looked like, because i wasn't able to completely turn the crank by hand. Turns out there's lots of carbon and corrosion on the tops of the pistons and maybe rings. Thankfully, i don't see any sign of damage to the walls yet. So, i currently have the cylinders filled with ATF and acetone to dissolve all the corrosion and will inspect things further in a few days. The valvetrain looks pretty pristine, so I'm hopeful things will be okay.
                Last edited by 1panthertxn; 02-16-2020, 08:23 AM.
                1990 325i

Comment

I got my reinforced subframe, e46 steering rack with new tie rods (e46 inner and e36 outer) and Garagistic 10mm subframe spacers installed yesterday. Today IÂ’ll be bolting the steering column back in and making a new lower profile steering shaft with two e46 shafts. Pics to follow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  What e46 rack did you end up using, were there any issues installing it. I am doing a swap as well but as undecided on which rack to get. e46 racks are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by captain confused View Post
                    What e46 rack did you end up using, were there any issues installing it. I am doing a swap as well but as undecided on which rack to get. e46 racks are cheap.
                    I’m honestly not sure which specific rack it is, as I picked it up from the yard for free with my engine. It seems to be very close to 3 turns lock to lock. No issues thus far, but I haven’t hooked any lines up to it yet, so there could still be some small surprises. Just make sure you have the spacers for the mounting points on an airbag car (or whatever else is needed for non-airbag) and get e46 inner tie rods with e36 outers. You may have to modify where the steering column comes through the firewall for an airbag car, too. I’ve heard nothing but good things about e46 racks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    1990 325i

Comment

I’m honestly not sure which specific rack it is, as I picked it up from the yard for free with my engine. It seems to be very close to 3 turns lock to lock. No issues thus far, but I haven’t hooked any lines up to it yet, so there could still be some small surprises. Just make sure you have the spacers for the mounting points on an airbag car (or whatever else is needed for non-airbag) and get e46 inner tie rods with e36 outers. You may have to modify where the steering column comes through the firewall for an airbag car, too. I’ve heard nothing but good things about e46 racks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Thanks for the info!

Comment

Okay, decided to go with a different steering shaft setup. My steering column splines are 17mm x 36 spline, while the e46 rack is 17mm by 54 splines. Condor offers a single ujoint solution for these specs, but it seems that the steering column wouldn’t be long enough to for the single ujoint to bridge the gap, even when fully extended. To further complicate things, nobody that I could find offers a two-joint with DD solution for the airbag column and e46 rack combo. So, I started searching through summit racing and found this to be the solution:

-Flaming River FR2563 17mm x 54 spline with 3/4” DD to attach to the steering rack.

-Unisteer Performance 8052510 17mm x 36 spline with 3/4” DD to attach to the column. (This is listed on summit racing as 3/4” x 36 spline on summit, but that’s incorrect. You can confirm that it’s 17mm x 36 on unisteer’s website)

-About 3” of 3/4” DD

This 2 joint setup fits perfectly and also takes care of the issue caused by the angle of the e46 rack so that the airbag column can rest closer to its original position.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_150274.jpg Views:	42 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	9918123
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 1panthertxn; 04-20-2020, 10:08 AM.
                        1990 325i

Comment

So, with that steering shaft and joint setup, you won't need to notch the firewall for airbag cars, correct? That is AWESOME.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                            So, with that steering shaft and joint setup, you won't need to notch the firewall for airbag cars, correct? That is AWESOME.
                            As far as I can tell, I don’t see why you would need to. There’s always a chance someone smarter will come along and tell me I’m wrong, though.
                            1990 325i

Comment

Working...
                            X