Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's normal, it bleeds back into the tank
    long crank time might be something else, may be a lazy fuel pump or semi blocked lines not letting it build pressure quickly
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

on my E30 it holds rail pressure for at least several hours. E30s don't prime the fuel pump so that is kind of important.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
        that's normal, it bleeds back into the tank
        long crank time might be something else, may be a lazy fuel pump or semi blocked lines not letting it build pressure quickly
        I thought there was a check valve in the pump that maintained some pressure.

All the soft lines are new, might not hurt to change the fuel filter, it was replaced when the tank was replaced about 1500 miles ago or so.
        I do things.

Comment

I've had two issues cause long crank times in the past, leaking injectors and a bad fuel pressure regulator. I think checking the FPR might be worth a shot if it's old, in my case the diaphragm had ruptured inside the regulator. My startup symptoms were very similar to yours.

Since replacing I've never had long crank times, even after sitting for days at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            on my E30 it holds rail pressure for at least several hours. E30s don't prime the fuel pump so that is kind of important.
            Yours may not, M42s do, and a good pump will bring it to full pressure in half a second or so. An engine will fire a few revolutions before full pressure as well
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Finally hit my break-in mileage so I decided to get on it a bit.
              She started bogging down at about 6500 to 7000 rpm.

After doing some digging, I realized I had bought the 2.5 bar regulator for the Eta engine, not the 3.0 bar.

So, I got a new 3.0 bar regulator on the way, see what that does.

I'll still check the spark plugs for injector leaking when I do the valve adjustment.
              Last edited by Melon; 03-09-2019, 08:29 AM.
              I do things.

Comment

Also, thanks for the replies and the help!
                I do things.

Comment

Fuck.

Two eccentrics lost their nut, and one is missing, it must have fallen into the oil pan. Glad I installed a new pump with a good screen. Hopefully it will work it's way out.

All 10 remaining nuts were loose.

Ordered all new pins, washers, eccentrics and nuts.

I was able to get the damaged pins out without any damage to the rockers, thank fucking god.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                  I do things.

Comment

Whew! That is disaster narrowly averted.

Comment

Oh man, that's a close one. Glad nothing got damaged. Do you think the hardware is faulty, or were they just not tight enough? If I recall correctly, the torque spec in the bently is 9ft-lbs or something- always seemed a little low to me for something with that much cyclical load. I've definitely done valve adjustments before where the eccentric loosened up right after.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

I had the head redone at a machine shop, they installed everything, so I can't say for sure how tight everything was.

I'll put a little more than 9ft lbs on them when I reinstall, along with some red loctite, and recheck after 250 miles, not 500.
                        I do things.

Comment

Dodged a bullet there! Hope you find the rogue nut
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Dodged a bullet there! Hope you find the rogue nut
                            Thanks!

It's in the oil pan. It will come out eventually, I have a magnetic drain plug.
                            I do things.

Comment

Congrats on the car man, next time i work down there i would love to see it.

IMHO, the black mirrors are perfect. Love the ride height (y’all, dem roads down there are not flat).
                              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                                Congrats on the car man, next time i work down there i would love to see it.

IMHO, the black mirrors are perfect. Love the ride height (y’all, dem roads down there are not flat).
                                Thanks!

Yeah man, everyone is a critic. It's cool, I welcome all input.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X