• Show
Clear All

actually liking that gloss.
    /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Small update… fuel tank is done.
      I was waiting on the ‘green stripe’ fuel hose for some time… don’t know why its common part across so many models you’d think it would be ample supply.
      Anyway, we have green stripe fuel hose as the benevolent German overlords decreed.

I have two non-genuine parts here. I have used Nashua 357 tape and it’s black (the tape was originally white) and the anti-rattle foam was a little wider than what I have still. Still, think it looks pretty nice which is important given I will NEVER see it again.. 😊

It will be interesting to do a count on the genuine parts on this build. Must be over one thousand including minutia like this

[img][/img]

Sideline… finally finished the engine bay wiring by finishing the C101

Yes, the booster is in the wrong orientation, still

I want all wiring visible… just neater than OE.

Aaaand.. car is off the dolly. Which means closer to moving under its own motivation.

Gives me a better look at the colour of the wheel wells and underbody…. Not sure whether to make the wheel wells black or not…

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

looking awesome!
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Beautiful work. I can only hope that mine ends up even half as nice as this.
          Should work something out when both cars are finished and meet up.
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Big step getting the car on the lift - congrats! I vote for matte black wheel wells.

MJ

Comment

My vote for black wheel wells.
              E30 320i vert
              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Thanks all, yes I think black wells may be the go....

Started to bend fluid lines!
                Ordered a bunch of OE lines from BMW and started to match them up against the originals… and away we go

Also took delivery of the biggest box I’ve ever got from Germany…

Mmmm mmmm genuine goodness :)

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Glad I found this thread. Awesome build! Can't wait to see moar!

Comment

Truly inspiring AND a great resource! Can’t wait to see more.

Comment

New OEM brake lines comes black?
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                        New OEM brake lines comes black?
                        Yep, when I bought new ones they were.
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Hello again

I have spent the day bending more brake line. Not something I do every day and I have to say the first one felt very difficult and awkward and the last one just was like bendy bendy bendy bend and done. Like everything practice helps…
                          I bought genuine lines, and a bunch that were slightly longer than what I needed, as I thought this might give me the flexibility to run them slightly differently if I needed.

New lines are coated in a thick plastic that I found was easiest to burn off. Have to remove it because you don’t want a plastic coated DIN bubble. Factory ends were plain, so will these.

I don’t know whether I’m going to stay with rubber lines, but I had them and I want to test fit it all up.

I found that aligning the outlet to the hole in the body was made easier by inserting a 1/8th punch into the end and using that to tweak the line to be parallel to the body mount. Worked out well

Some got very small and fiddly, like this LHF brake

Since I am running a E32 25mm master cylinder I needed to make up a tee to join the two front lines. I wanted to do this slightly underneath the MC to keep it tidy

And brining the RHF brake line into the puzzle, with different routing to the original. Original runs left hand side of the booster, I have run it right hand side.

I’m probably going to find out WHY it’s routed on the LHS soon enough, but for the moment it works OK

That side tucked in

And the other side before I took the label off the line to tidy it up

Also put my fuel tank in which I’m pretty pleased about. Seems like some progress finally

You’re maybe noticing the underneath of the car is actually the original finish, witness the slight discoloration where the seat base / rear footwell is. WHY didn’t I redo it?
                          Well, TBH it was in really, really good shape. It came up so good with just a pressure wash I thought it might be nice to keep ‘a link to the past’ as it were.

Debating it in my mind… may end up pulling everything off and hitting it with some tinted raptor, but I kinda like that its original, because it’s the only thing. Then again, maybe it looks like I couldn’t be bothered ‘doing it properly’ to some.. so I’ll take feedback on that.

Happy new week. Sun keeps coming up despite all the maddening shit going on in the world :)

Comment

Really nice work on the brake lines - it can be very frustrating but fun at the same time. I ended up using NiCopp lines after fighting with removing the coating at the ends...never thought about burning it off...that is a great tip and has been filed for future work.

I honestly think the factory finish on the underside looks really nice. It creates a contrast to all the dark colored bits and pieces that will be bolted on to the chassis...this will highlight all the clean new parts you are installing. I would only think about tinting/painting the wheel wells so the gap disappears when the car is on the ground. Just my $.02 from the peanut gallery.

Looking forward to next update.

MJ

Comment

My vote would also to leave as it is for a few reasons:

- pay homage to the roots of the vehicle
                              - it is how it would have been if it came from the factory
                              - as mjweimer said - nice color contrast
                              - in our Australian climate we don't really need heaps of under body corrosion protection

I know few people would look under a car that far - but we're honored that you've shown us!
                              E30 320i vert
                              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                                My vote would also to leave as it is for a few reasons:

- pay homage to the roots of the vehicle
                                - it is how it would have been if it came from the factory
                                - as mjweimer said - nice color contrast
                                - in our Australian climate we don't really need heaps of under body corrosion protection

I know few people would look under a car that far - but we're honored that you've shown us!
                                Thanks, i think i will keep as is. Really like your restoration too. Good to see you're in Vic too. BMWCCV or BMWDCM?

Finally put a connector on the last plug in the engine bay harness too. So nice to see it finished

also finally received my indicators, one of which is NLA now and took AGES to arrive... terminated them and plugged em in,,,, all front end wiring is now brand new and tucked in... HOPE IT WORKS!

Am holding off putting the black trim in because I need to have the clear coat on the bumpers flattened and buffed. It only has very slight orange peel, but given the whole car has been blocked it really sticks out.

Comment

Working...
                                X