• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burkey001
    replied
    Hello, back from the dead.

Some holdups to getting this finished;
    1) I moved interstate and haven't built a workshop yet, so car is a long way from me.
    2) Have been waiting for the wheels to get made
    3) Have been waiting for a spot from the man, Maxwell Wang, to wrap half the car in PPF.

No movement on 1, still a bummer. Have a working concept with architect.

Two. Wheels are made! should be posted out this week.

Three. End of Jan I have 6 days booked in for a final paint correction and PPF application with Auto Attention and Maxwell

Wheels looking good, hope they are nice when I see them in person. Will put some Pilot Sport 4s on these I think.

and sorry,Tzantushka, you won't see me at highball because car meets not really my thing and I don't live in Melbourne anymore :)

I do plan to have it at the BMW Nationals in Canberra in March 2022. So take a drive up, there are some magic, magic driving roads so close to Canberra.

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    Originally posted by burkey001 View Post

That is some good intel right there… so CBR600 like a motorbike? Interesting, I am using the stock ECU so this might be not for me, but great info, thanks.

The coils are just Denso pencil coils. The bike engines are just ones where you can get a set for cheap used to test fit. The M3 guys use these coils on their S14s when going COP so thats where I got the idea. We dont have to modify ours to fit though as the height works as-is!

The Denso coils are dumb coils just like the ones on the M50 and the original M42 coil packs. The only difference is 2 pin on the Denso versus 3 on the BMW ones. The 3rd pin is just an additional ground so the pencil coils should work for you as the ECU has the igniters in it.

Leave a comment:

• QuiqueUy
    replied
    Just finished reading this 25 pages of pure awesomeness !

Can't wait to see the new wheels , the interior is amazing and the exterior too !

keep the great work coming !

Leave a comment:

• Tzantushka
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Just in time to dominate a few euro car shows over the summer
    Yes, if I don't see this at the next Highball Motor Club cars and coffee in Melbourne - I will be bitterly disappointed...

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
    I put 160km on the car today. Got a roadworthy certificate then went to see about getting it onto club registration.
    Congratulations - must be very satisfying after all the hard work!

Just in time to dominate a few euro car shows over the summer

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Well I like both of those options. I also have some teflon sheet that I've been saving for no reason in particular that I could use with the original steel bearing race when it wears out, so that could be an option.

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    I put 160km on the car today. Got a roadworthy certificate then went to see about getting it onto club registration.

Suspension is wound up all the way, I am not sure whether its "RWC spec" or "WRC spec" but its very stiff and lacking compliance but it sure has a lot of ground clearance.

Goes pretty good. Pretty quiet. Yeah, not bad.

Doesnt matter how many new parts you through at an E30 they still smell like an old car when you come back to it in the garage after 160km :)

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    I use the Teflon "spring thrust sheets" that Bimmerworld sells. They prevent the spring popping, and don't require maintenence. https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spr...Sheet-Set.html
    interesting, how many miles have you had them working?

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Any more info on that torrington bearing setup? I have some aftermarket ones but they aren't sealed so I don't think they'll last long.

are they possibly the ones from front upper spring perch on the e39?
    You pop them out of part number 31331090612 comes with a free spring seat :)

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    I use the Teflon "spring thrust sheets" that Bimmerworld sells. They prevent the spring popping, and don't require maintenence. https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spr...Sheet-Set.html

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Any more info on that torrington bearing setup? I have some aftermarket ones but they aren't sealed so I don't think they'll last long.

are they possibly the ones from front upper spring perch on the e39?

Leave a comment:

• tonyf
    replied
    Those wheels will look incredible!

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    They are 120mm springs, and yes, the dampers are very short.
    Full droop is about 2 fingers gap

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Those are 5" springs right? I am surprised they are not free floating -- those dampers must have very little droop!

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Minor update… adjusting coilover perches in the rear was a real pain with a rubber bumpstop on the top… just kept binding.

So I machined up these little Delrin spacers so I can run a little Torrington bearing on the top so the coil doesn’t bind. Works great. The bearings are from 5 series I think. Good life hack for the front coils too, stops the spring popping when you turn.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X