Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two 30s: Now with 100% More Boost!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Valve cover finish.
    @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
    [b u i l d]
    [Car of the month: April 2018]

0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

Comment

She lives! She runs! She boosts! She... overboosts.

Wastegate actuator clearly isn't opening at all. Finally started getting it street tuned and it was spiking in the 12-15psi range then getting shut down by the MS overboost protection that I (luckily) set. Kameron has said this is the correct wastegate vacuum line routing. I'm not entirely sure but need to play with it.

Which brings me to issue #2. AEM overnighted me a new wideband sensor that I got Friday afternoon. I tossed it in and everything was working exactly as it should. It worked Friday day/night and we did about 19 miles of tuning. I fire it up Sunday and the sensor craps out again. It started reading properly for about 10 seconds, then just climbed into off-the-charts lean and sits there. I'm pulling my hair out on this one. Too much heat that close to the turbo? Bad wiring?

Build Thread

Comment

Well, still waiting on the new wideband sensor. Doesn't look like AEM ended up getting it out last week so the car didn't do a whole lot of moving this weekend. I did confirm that my wastegate hose routing was wrong though and corrected it.

New plan for the wideband is to put it on its own switch. I've heard they are really susceptible to thermal shock from condensate droplets hitting the sensor when the car is first warming up. My car definitely condensates quite a bit so I'll just run a switch to it and flick it on after the car's been running for 10 seconds. Hopefully gives it a little added life.

Otherwise, she got a wash and an IS lip finally put on. Took a picture because she was lookin fancy. Bonus picture of the jetski I restored a few years ago that also got a wash and some new graphics put on. That was the first engine I built and what got me going down the whole project car road.

Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post
          Well, still waiting on the new wideband sensor. Doesn't look like AEM ended up getting it out last week so the car didn't do a whole lot of moving this weekend. I did confirm that my wastegate hose routing was wrong though and corrected it.
          What was wrong with the routing for the wastegate? Cars lookin sweet, hopefully the new wideband does the trick

Comment

Originally posted by Binema View Post

What was wrong with the routing for the wastegate? Cars lookin sweet, hopefully the new wideband does the trick
            I had the pressure line from the charge piping going to the vent port on the wastegate actuator, instead of the diaphragm side. All fixed now.

Wideband showed up yesterday and I got to take her for a drive. Weirdly it worked fine for about 10 minutes then did the same off the charts lean thing it's been doing. I sat on the side of the road for 5 minutes just being pissed and trying to figure out how I was going to get back home. Fired it up again and it just started working perfectly again. No idea why but it worked perfectly the rest of the evening. I put about 50 miles on it with the autotune function running. By the end of the night I had it running well enough that I got a few great WOT pulls to redline at full boost. My AFR's are all looking good and I can confidently say that this car is a BLAST to drive.

Next up: I've decided I'm definitely going to put the wideband on a switch. I've been hearing that AEM's pre-programmed slow warm up to protect against thermal shock is really not very slow at all and could still be resulting in condensate hitting a fully warmed up sensor. I'm probably going to take another hard look at my wiring, though I'm pretty confident in it. I also confirmed alternator voltage was a steady 13.5 at idle and not spiking. Lastly, added a homemade copper heatsink to the sensor just for added peace of mind. I really want to be done with the whole wideband issue once and for all.
            Build Thread

Comment

Welp, this update begins with either really bad news or me being overly paranoid. Let's hope it's the latter...

I took the old girl to Euros by the Bay yesterday and was hanging out with my car, talking to people that were checking out the car, turbo setup, etc. when I noticed a guy take a picture of my car, and then of my engine, then just walk away. The guy was alone and not talking to anybody. I didn't really think too much about it until later I saw him walk up to another open hood car (LS-swapped older Benz) and snap a picture of its engine too. So basically now I'm panicked that he was in some way affiliated with CHP and my car is going to be on police record as having illegal mods. He definitely got my license plate in the picture, and just something about his behavior seemed off. I'm really hoping this isn't the beginning of the end. Either way, lesson is definitely learned that I need to keep my hood closed at shows with more than just my friends there.

In other bad news, my car cooked another wideband sensor yesterday too. AEM is deciding whether or not they're even going to give me another one. I'm finally calling uncle and moving my O2 bung further from the turbo in a last ditch hope that's my issue.Oh boy.

Now some good stuff! My little brother is a detailer and shampooed my carpets and polished up my junkyard hood as a favor. It all came out exceptional. I also got my cooling system very thoroughly flushed, then swapped in my new S54 radiator. I'm extremely happy to report that my car is running cool as a cucumber, even sitting in traffic on a hot day. So there's a major positive.

To-do's before dyno tuning next Monday:
              - Verify base timing
              - Install manual boost controller and adjust to 10psi
              - Wideband sensor fiasco
              - Track down my new oil leak, most likely from the new turbo oil lines

Build Thread

Comment

would CHP do something like that even? That seems completely out of their jurisdiction and I would say a case for entrapment. Part of me thinks you're being overly paranoid, maybe you had smoked or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  would CHP do something like that even? That seems completely out of their jurisdiction and I would say a case for entrapment. Part of me thinks you're being overly paranoid, maybe you had smoked or something?
                  I asked my cop buddy and he told me I was completely crazy too haha. I guess he might've actually just liked my car and wanted pictures. Stranger things have happened.

Edit: A photographer for the show got a picture of our little lineup.

Last edited by the_eskimo_wonder; 09-11-2019, 05:35 PM.
                  Build Thread

Comment

Had the moment of truth yesterday and got dyno tuned. First good thing is the engine didn't blow up. Aside from what looks like an oil drip from the back of the oil pan, it did very well, stayed cool,etc.

Unfortunately (and kinda fortunately) this thing is such a beast that there's no chance the stock clutch I put in there was going to hold... It started letting go right around 260 ft-lb of torque. The tuner managed to feather the throttle enough to get me a full run and a HP number, but ultimately wasn't able to finish. We didn't even get to turning up the boost (though it was creeping a bit due to him pulling timing from the top end). So until I get a new clutch and he can finish my tuning, he set my redline to 4500 rpm. So basically I'm driving the beastliest eta EVER. I'm really happy with the tune quality though. It would've taken me forever to get to the point it's at now. Strong, stable idle and very responsive to every little throttle blip. Even with the 4500 rpm redline I was able to hang pretty close to my buddy's N55 335i doing some 5th gear freeway pulls.

So... now I need a DD-able, street friendly, OEM feeling clutch that can hold 325 wtq. Who's got the answer???

Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X