Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two 30s: Now with 100% More Boost!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great progress man! I'm working on all my supporting mods before going FI on my build. I think I'm going to try to run MS2 with wasted spark before I boost it, should also help with the ignition issues you might be having? Need to read into all this more, but damn this has got me excited to start the turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post

New plan for the wideband is to put it on its own switch. I've heard they are really susceptible to thermal shock from condensate droplets hitting the sensor when the car is first warming up. My car definitely condensates quite a bit so I'll just run a switch to it and flick it on after the car's been running for 10 seconds. Hopefully gives it a little added life.
      From my understanding, you'd want your O2 sensor to heat up as fast as possible, so leaving it off would be counter productive because the heating circuit isn't going to be active?

Also you extended the wiring to the coil, not the plug wires themselves right? The first time I read that, I'm pretty sure I took it the wrong way.

Any boost leaks? What turbo is this/what specs?
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Binema View Post
        Great progress man! I'm working on all my supporting mods before going FI on my build. I think I'm going to try to run MS2 with wasted spark before I boost it, should also help with the ignition issues you might be having? Need to read into all this more, but damn this has got me excited to start the turbo build
        Thanks! A box from Jegs actually showed up yesterday. Update soon.

Also, looking back I wish I had done wasted spark, electronic boost control, and basically every add on/upgrade I could think of before the tuning. Sounds like you're on the right path.
        Last edited by the_eskimo_wonder; 03-09-2020, 02:20 PM.
        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          From my understanding, you'd want your O2 sensor to heat up as fast as possible, so leaving it off would be counter productive because the heating circuit isn't going to be active? Also you extended the wiring to the coil, not the plug wires themselves right? The first time I read that, I'm pretty sure I took it the wrong way. Any boost leaks? What turbo is this/what specs?
          From my understanding the sensors are really sensitive to thermal shock. So if they heat up really fast and then get hit with condensation from the engine still warming up they can get cooked. Either way, the Bosch replacement sensor I've got in there now is still going strong so I've left it alone.

Extended the harness power and ground wires to the coil. Wasted spark setup coming soon.

No boost leaks. I don't know all the specs since it came in the kit and it's unbranded but I know it's roughly GT28 sized with a .60 A/R compressor and .63 A/R turbine.
          Build Thread

Comment

I know GT28s used to be really popular here and on 'tech, but I can't find much in the way of dyno numbers. Kamotors made 336/341, with a GT28 at 15psi on an Eta with pump gas.
            I think the big difference is that he made peak torque 1000RPM later than you. Not sure if this is from a larger A/R exhaust housing or from spark or boost taper.

Comment

I know GT28s used to be really popular here and on 'tech, but I can't find much in the way of dyno numbers. Kamotors made 336/341, with a GT28 at 15psi on an Eta with pump gas. I think the big difference is that he made peak torque 1000RPM later than you. Not sure if this is from a larger A/R exhaust housing or from spark or boost taper.
              Any idea where I can find that dyno graph/post? His build thread isn’t exactly a light read. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Build Thread

Comment

Here's the link:
                https://www.facebook.com/kamotors/ph...287091/?type=3

I think it was a friend or customer's car because I don't remember him with an eta

Comment

Here's the link:
                  https://www.facebook.com/kamotors/ph...287091/?type=3

I think it was a friend or customer's car because I don't remember him with an eta

Putting them side by side you can definitely see a pattern. Kam confirmed these are the same turbo. He says the stock cam loses power up top which causes the trail off on that customer car despite the boost creeping up. He's saying again that the wasted spark should make a really big difference with holding the power all the way up. My 274 cam should have it breathing better too so I'm back to putting my eggs in that basket. Should probably be doing wasted spark soon enough here.

Anyway... In today's update:
                  • My car gets a sweet hunk of vinyl,
                  • an Italian mistress changes hands,
                  • and I'm a Dodge now????

Bing.

Bang.

Boom!

This car had the original premium sound system ripped out and replaced with some really shitty component speakers that are already blown and not working. It's got questionable aftermarket speaker and sub wiring and basically I hate the stupid kids that owned it before me. I began my process of undoing it all. Started with replacing the certified B-stock rainbow Pioneer head unit with the Continental one everyone uses. Reconnected the stock speaker wires and pulled the aftermarket ones out. Replaced all my dash bulbs while I was in there. Also snagged an LED light strip for the OBC and just like that the interior is starting to come together. Made a big purchase for it too... updates once it shows up.

She got a wash, then a full cut and polish. Paint shined up really well all things considered. She's definitely still in need of some PDR and for me to replace that front fender. This is post wash, pre-polish.

E30 story time! I have a buddy that bought an E90 335i with the N55 about 6 months ago. He works construction and up until then was driving a 2006 Chevy diesel work truck every day. Needless to say he was pretty hooked. After that he was basically just set on saving all his money to buy a brand new M2 Competition. Well, until my friend, Will, tossed me the keys to his S52 swap car and said buddy happened to take a ride around the neighborhood with me.

He bought this 12 days later. I'm sure some of you will recognize her.

So, of course, in an attempt to make my car just as nice as Ms. Lira I put chrome kidneys back on. I also found a can of yellow plastidip and thought I'd make a little fun of the Charger boys and their 17% APR loans. Teehee

Stay tuned for more spooly boi updates!
                  Build Thread

Comment

I think you'll find that once you reach a certain point the stock style ignition system becomes very sensitive to plug condition and will misfire as soon as a plug wears a little bit, at least that's how it was for me. Going from an upgraded coil to wasted spark I went from consistent misfires at full boost above 5,000rpm to no misfires at all without even pulling the plugs and regapping/cleaning. Boost onset was also shorter, pointing to there being minor misfires that I couldn't feel during spool and at lower boost levels. Before wasted spark I could run 15-16psi on new plugs with 0.020"/0.508mm gap and get maybe a month out of them before it started missing again, now I'm able to run 18psi on the same plugs I had a misfire with before and it pulls cleanly to the limiter every single time, even when I was tuning the 18psi portion of my fuel map and running super rich.

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post
                    Good lord that bottom plot is incredibly poorly done. Barely readable because there are way too many lines and the scaling is way off, and it's also incorrectly labeled (2.4 Bar of boost? No frigging way, that's gotta be 2.4 Bar absolute). Dyno operator needs a talking to wouldn't trust the results if such basic mistakes are being made.
                    Last edited by varg; 03-13-2020, 06:49 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

I like that little splash of yellow on the bottom of the is lip.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        I think you'll find that once you reach a certain point the stock style ignition system becomes very sensitive to plug condition and will misfire as soon as a plug wears a little bit, at least that's how it was for me. Going from an upgraded coil to wasted spark I went from consistent misfires at full boost above 5,000rpm to no misfires at all without even pulling the plugs and regapping/cleaning. Boost onset was also shorter, pointing to there being minor misfires that I couldn't feel during spool and at lower boost levels. Before wasted spark I could run 15-16psi on new plugs with 0.020"/0.508mm gap and get maybe a month out of them before it started missing again, now I'm able to run 18psi on the same plugs I had a misfire with before and it pulls cleanly to the limiter every single time, even when I was tuning the 18psi portion of my fuel map and running super rich.

Good lord that bottom plot is incredibly poorly done. Barely readable because there are way too many lines and the scaling is way off, and it's also incorrectly labeled (2.4 Bar of boost? No frigging way, that's gotta be 2.4 Bar absolute). Dyno operator needs a talking to wouldn't trust the results if such basic mistakes are being made.
                        I think it's a "virtual dyno" run (whatever that means). So yea, not sure how trustworthy it could really be. Either way, wasted spark is happening and I'll likely toss it back on the dyno shortly after that. Will probably be looking to turn the boost up a bit more while I'm at it. Seems like as long as I keep it under 20psi and I have a good tune the engine should be happy. Might target 16-18 if the clutch can still hold it.

It's funny how easy it is to just think "Just a couple more pounds". I originally said I wasn't going to run more than 10, maybe 12 max.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                        I like that little splash of yellow on the bottom of the is lip.
                        Thanks! I was kinda surprised that it actually doesn't look bad. Still getting peeled off soon though. I'm already over it haha

Build Thread

Comment

Just read through the build. Really impressed. Question about the vibrant muffler. Did you have to trip the exhaust opening to make it fit?
                          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                            Just read through the build. Really impressed. Question about the vibrant muffler. Did you have to trip the exhaust opening to make it fit?
                            Nope, fits just fine in the factory opening. Boy do I need an update on this thread. Soon! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Build Thread

Comment

Boy has it been a minute. I think it's time I update you guys!

First up: interior. I ordered a cardinal red, full leather upholstery kit from Auto Custom Leathers. The guy who runs the shop is a nice guy but boy was the experience a nightmare. Long story short, I ordered in February, received someone else's order in April, then finally received my actual order in July. The stitch quality is pretty good, not excellent, but man is the material just fantastic. Incredibly soft and supple and smells delicious.

I added heating elements and Corbeau inflatable lumber pillows to the front seats.

Pictures!

Still a few kinks to work out with the baggy headrests and getting the heating elements wired under the carpet but it's night and day difference and I LOVE them.

Next update will be on the performance side. The car is halfway through a pretty major overhaul of the turbo system.
                              Build Thread

Comment

Damn! Interior looking good man, interested to see the overhaul in your turbo system. Ordering an MS2 PNP and some wasted spark bits soon to get the power mods started.

Comment

Working...
                                X