E30 #2- '86 S52 Coupe Project Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 #2- '86 S52 Coupe Project Log

Well finally, after ~14 years of single e30 ownership, I bought a 2nd.

Since moving to Charlotte about a year ago for a new job, I've been extremely busy and time for project cars has been hard to come by. I was working on a pretty extensive e34 m5 project earlier this year, but wasn't going to be able to complete it to the standard I wanted to with the resources I had available at the time. Sold/traded that for an e70 x5 M, which was insanely fun and kind of practical, but I didn't enjoy working on it and I was terrified that one of the big ticket items would require replacement so I sold it in hopes of finding a usable project car that I could drive a few days a week... Stumbled upon this e30 on r3v and it was kind of a no-brainer for the price.

Car is pretty solid overall, purchased it from the 2nd owner and the car has never left the state of North Carolina since new. Pretty basic build so far, but well done and all good parts

1986 325e
    S52/ZF
    OBD1 intake
    2.93 OPEN diff
    H&R Bilstein
    e36 rack

The PO has been through the car pretty thoroughly and mechanically it's pretty strong. Cosmetically it needs a little bit of work, but its pretty damn good all things considered. Interior has been re-upholstered with what looks like the ebay leatherette and it has a nice Nardi Blackline wheel. Exterior will need a re-spray at some point, but it looks good enough and I won't have to be paranoid parking around the downtown area.

Recently moved from an apartment in the CLT burbs to a rental house in the downtown area. Big advantage here was slightly larger garage/yard/space to mess with car stuff. Within the 1st week I had the garage cleaned out, hung some new lights, and started shoving e30 stuff inside

The day after I got the garage sorted, my wife's DD e39 m5 cracked the radiator end cap and the e30 was kicked out of the garage for DD duty. On it's first day of DD duty, the e30's clutch slave cylinder went out which forced me into a mad dash to get something fixed. Got the m5 sorted first and now the e30 is back in the garage for new slave cylinder and rear brakes.

I also bought these:

In addition to the Ronals, I bought some Corrado Koni fronts and Mustang Koni rears. Already have some shortened housings and an assortment of coilover springs, so I'm some GC plates and rear shock mounts away from having suspension sorted.

*Also looking for some e30 m3 struts if anyone knows of any. I have a set of M-systems in the garage and bought a set of turbine covers last week. I think the early model + turbines + euro bumpers would be a pretty good look.

Excited to have an e30 street car again!
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Nice! Is this going to stay a street car?
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
      Nice! Is this going to stay a street car?
      Definitely. I'll be working on installing A/C over the winter.
      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

looks great!

Comment

I like it. Black e30's look the best :)
          "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

Nice, I remember seeing that one. Good deal and congrats. I am excited to see the changes to make it yours
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Great looking car. Sweet

Comment

Really nice place to start, now you can have a daily and a track monster.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Nice addition. Subscribed.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Noice!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Got home from the married-life holiday runaround (1000+ miles on the m5 in a matter of days) and immediately got the slave cylinder swapped out and put the Ronals on. Still on the not great Kumho tires, but don't have a good feel for 15" tire sizes yet, so holding out a little longer. I think I'll go with something 200TW in 225/45 when the weather turns

Also preparing to get serious on some e30 m3 5 lug solutions. I have access to a FARO arm and Romer arm at work to scan some e30 m3 struts and tie rod arms, also considering looking into e28 struts. The two alternatives I'm considering are 1) clamp style upright similar to e39 m5 This would be a pretty hefty 5-axis part, but I think you could build it to be cheaper than the cost of a set of e30 m3 struts these days. 2) adapter tie rod arm to use e28 strut. I need to look further into this, it seems like it should work but I'm not sure about the geometry side of things.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Very nice! I like your style. I have a stock 84' 325e and I want to go in the same direction as you are.
                        sigpic84 325e

Comment

Awesome! Subscribed for sure. I am glad someone picked this thing up. Super tempted when I saw it pop up, a few months back or whenever it was.

Comment

Nice car, hope to see you around.. If sell those Ronals since your thinking about 5 lug let me know. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              Also preparing to get serious on some e30 m3 5 lug solutions. I have access to a FARO arm and Romer arm at work to scan some e30 m3 struts and tie rod arms, also considering looking into e28 struts. The two alternatives I'm considering are 1) clamp style upright similar to e39 m5 This would be a pretty hefty 5-axis part, but I think you could build it to be cheaper than the cost of a set of e30 m3 struts these days. 2) adapter tie rod arm to use e28 strut. I need to look further into this, it seems like it should work but I'm not sure about the geometry side of things.
                              i'm really interested in seeing what you come up with.

e30 m3 front struts, even if you can find them, would seem to be cost prohibitive. if only there was an aftermarket solution for the NLA tie rod arms similar to these puppies

then again although the strut housings are still available they cost an arm a leg as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X