No announcement yet.

Cosmoblau basic stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I gave up on getting the E+motronic 1.0 bits working properly. The last straw was a small fire caused by a bad fuel hose I should have replaced... fortunately no real damage occurred except for some top end sensors and harness.

The good news is I was planning to do an E to I swap anyway. With Callie the convertible back in town awaiting engine and tranny removal for it's MM3.2 swap, I might as well get my parts car's I pistons ready to do a 2.8 swap on this car. That way I can pick the modded pistons up from Metric Mechanic at the same time.

Gonna follow the strictlyeta.net 2.8 swap post and keep things simple by using all OEM bits for the top end and ECU. I have a 3.73 LSD lying around so I'll swap that in as well.

Stay tuned.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Why not these?

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

People don't believe me when I say read up on M1.0, M1.1 and M1.3!!! You should consider grabbing a M20b25 because parts are cheaper and for some reason everyone loves 24V swaps. Or maybe consider a 24V swap, cheaper parts and more people are experienced with them than M1.0 b27s and M1.1 b25s.
        Paynemw
        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          A damn good question. Reusing the original pistons from my donor car was just a way to keep costs reasonable - I’d still have to pay for the 2-3mm skim and buy a ring set - so maybe $60-70 a piston. $200 a piston including rings is pretty reasonable and they’re new from Mahle. Guess I need to call IE and think things through.

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
          People don't believe me when I say read up on M1.0, M1.1 and M1.3!!! You should consider grabbing a M20b25 because parts are cheaper and for some reason everyone loves 24V swaps. Or maybe consider a 24V swap, cheaper parts and more people are experienced with them than M1.0 b27s and M1.1 b25s.
          I hear you. For me it was really about getting an M1.3 M20B25 stroker done on this car. I won’t rule out an S54 swap down the road, but I always saw than on a late model E30 with an Mtech2 kit - not this car. As to M50/M52 etc it’s more modification than I’m really after. Since I’ve got multiple cars I want each of them to have their own unique flavor. I do want 24V but it will probably be on a newer car

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            A damn good question. Reusing the original pistons from my donor car was just a way to keep costs reasonable - I’d still have to pay for the 2-3mm skim and buy a ring set - so maybe $60-70 a piston. $200 a piston including rings is pretty reasonable and they’re new from Mahle. Guess I need to call IE and think things through.
            Digging into this further, the IE 2.9 ultimate stroker pistons require an 84mm stroke crankshaft, such as an M52.
            -85mm Bore (+1mm bore over stock)
            -Piston-to-bore Clearance: .002 inches over the coating, measured at 7mm from bottom of skirts
            -84mm Crankshaft Stroke (M52 crank for example)
            -135mm Connecting Rods (M20, M52, S52, or length-specified H-beams)
            -10:1 Compression (This is 91octane friendly with proper tuning).
            The ETA crank has an 81mm stoke.. I can try to source an M52 crank I suppose, or move up to the IE 2.9 ultimate 325i stroker kit with the Mahle pistons described above for $2k. I can also look into different pistons like these Carillo M20 2.7 pistons from VAC, or stick to the original plan to reuse the I pistons. No need to bore the block, but for both the VAC or stock pistons I do need to match piston and block height, which depends on whether I keep the e rods or use the I rods. I believe I rods and pistons with the eta crank will lead to the unmodified pistons sitting above the block deck by 2-3mm, or sit 2mm low using ETA rods instead.

good 2.7 stoker info on e30zone
            Last edited by bradnic; 08-10-2019, 08:22 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Yep, M52b28 crank/135mm rods (i, M52, S52, M54b30, etc). I totally understand that- the stuff adds up so quick, too.

Have you purchased your 885 yet? You should have ForcedFirebird do a 731 head for you and slap it on your low mile bottom end and be done with it.

There are so many stroker configurations. You could do what Betz did and run an M52b28 (84mm) crank, 130mm rods and late “i” pistons to get a 2.8L (shaving deck height of block to get compression where it needs to be). You could do the IE pistons above which use M52b28 crank/rods, bore for 85mm and get a 2.9L.

The reason why I’m questioning your original game plan:

If you just shave your “i” pistons (keeping it 84mm bore) and put them on your 81mm crank/130mm rods you’re not really gaining much at all and putting yourself through a ton of work.
              Last edited by AWDBOB; 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

yeah it comes down to goals I suppose. I do already have a full m20 IX motor with a redone 885 head and new stock camshaft.

I can't see a 2.7i with a 6500 rpm deadline not improving things over a vanilla ETA. So is it worth the extra expense for a 2.8 or 2.9 configuration, especially when I will likely keep a stock I exhaust and ECU on this car? What's that going to buy me - 10-20hp maybe over an un-bored 2.7i? I'll upsize injectors and probably move my M30 AFM from Callie over, but that's about it.

So why risk annoying the spouse by spending an unplanned $2k? lol

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                  yeah it comes down to goals I suppose. I do already have a full m20 IX motor with a redone 885 head and new stock camshaft.

I can't see a 2.7i with a 6500 rpm deadline not improving things over a vanilla ETA. So is it worth the extra expense for a 2.8 or 2.9 configuration, especially when I will likely keep a stock I exhaust and ECU on this car? What's that going to buy me - 10-20hp maybe over an un-bored 2.7i? I'll upsize injectors and probably move my M30 AFM from Callie over, but that's about it.

So why risk annoying the spouse by spending an unplanned $2k? lol
                  Totally agree. If you already have a fresh 885 I’d put an IE Billet 272 in it and slap it on your stock bottom end, converting to 1.3 of course. IMO keep it simple and cheap- like you said, it’ll still be a huge improvement over what you have now for minimal cost. Once you pull the bottom end apart things start to add up FAST.

Comment

I just can't imagine being happy with ETA pistons and an 885 head though. I've got to at least put the I pistons in, which I assume will lead to keeping everything else on the bottom end as is. cam swap for sure, chipped ECU, I exhaust, 3.73 LSD. then I'll see where things go from there.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

AWDBOB I keep second guessing myself.. Suppose I should at least try to source an M52 84mm crank. Then I can go 2.8 ala Betz for your suggestion, or bite the bullet on the IE bits. Maybe the crank alone is worth the effort.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Following this closely. I have an 88 SETA and I keep second guessing myself on whether or not I should go 2.8/9 or just slap the 885 head with a 272 cam on the bottom and be done with it. Not looking to piss the fiance off and just need a little extra oomph something to keep up with my buddies 325i in the mountains.

Comment

Ok had a long talk with my wife... she doesn’t want me putting 160k mile pistons in this 100k mile motor.

So: spoke with Andrew and Jeff at Ireland.. ordered the following
                          - 2.9L ultimate stroker kit with M52 crank
                          - Mahle 2.9 85mm piston option
                          - 272 billet camshaft (shrick equivalent)
                          - gates water pump and belt kit (early style)

will start the convo with the local machine shop I’ve used in
                          the past. Jeff told me to make sure the block is not hot tanked to avoid damaging the intermediate shaft bearing.

Plan is to keep stock intake and exhaust manifolds, use M30 AFM and mustang injectors off my convertible, along with the strömung exhaust.

Last edited by bradnic; 05-24-2020, 09:42 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Nice!! I think you’ll be more than happy with your choice in the long run. I had a long post typed out yesterday but the new forum thought it was spam so it never posted.

Comment

Thats the same thing I plan to do with mine. Should be a fun combo. I have a ported head from WOTtech with new rockers and a 272 cam. Should be a blast
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

2mAn interested in john’s port work.. fee lol PMing details? Will drop you a note

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X