Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can cut and solder the wire if you wish, but BEWARE, the O2 sensor cable is shielded. So if you want to retain the shielding to avoid any stray current that may alter the signal from the sensor, then you are going to have to spend time afterwards wrapping your joins. 2 wires carrying the signal are shielded, I used 2 core shielded wire and soldered my connections then heat shrink the joints like normal, then used aluminium foil tape where the splices in wire are to shield it again, copper works even better. Ran it back down over the shielding of the new cable and the plug end so there is a 1/2" overlap then heat shrink the lot again to keep it neat.

Just make sure you leave yourself enough cable at the plug end, you'll need a good 3 inches to solder everything neatly.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Ordered a reman z3 1.9 steering rack and a front x brace.
      = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Changed out the coolant with new anti-freeze for the winter.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
          you can cut and solder the wire if you wish, but BEWARE, the O2 sensor cable is shielded. So if you want to retain the shielding to avoid any stray current that may alter the signal from the sensor, then you are going to have to spend time afterwards wrapping your joins. 2 wires carrying the signal are shielded, I used 2 core shielded wire and soldered my connections then heat shrink the joints like normal, then used aluminium foil tape where the splices in wire are to shield it again, copper works even better. Ran it back down over the shielding of the new cable and the plug end so there is a 1/2" overlap then heat shrink the lot again to keep it neat.

Just make sure you leave yourself enough cable at the plug end, you'll need a good 3 inches to solder everything neatly.
          Thanks for the response, if I can't swap the connectors then I'll have to replace them. So I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.
          sigpic

Comment

mine seems to be working ok since.

Comment

(last night) did the first start after changing my timing belt/water pump -- it worked

which was the first mechanical thing i ever did on any car, and though i have the bentley manual, i probably wouldn't have been able to get it done without r3v

Comment

I was going to install these

But I got distracted getting a new windshield installed. I felt fancy it was at the BMW dealership

And swapping out my non LSD 2.93 for my LSD 2.93... Will take pics soon.

Comment

I gave Paul a call to order the s38 adapters for my m30
                  Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Coolant temperature sensor, Fuel pressure regulator and fixed a couple of vacuum leaks. It still needs lots of work, lol.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Finished the LSD swap cleaned up the old dif for storage.

Picked up a new lip. Need to trim it and install it.

Washed it and installed a antenna delete plug.

Comment

Installed intercooler and piping and also exhaust manifold

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

I supported fellow R3v members Dussen and jaywood. Bought a strut bar and gauge panels from them.
                          = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Next time your switches stop working, open them up instead of throwing them out. The aftermarket ones are nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Comment

:)

Comment

Originally posted by ///sLothiC View Post
                                :)
                                i'll have to one up you.

Feedback!
                                Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                                Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment