Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffNJM3
    Good work! NJ project cabrios unit! :)
    Thanks...I'm guessing its sounds as it should....time to put the hood back on and get the interior back together.

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffNJM3
    replied
    Good work! NJ project cabrios unit! :)

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Ok...here are the new videos of the car...after redoing the timing. While putting it back together, I realized that my AFM is shot....the car runs fine without it...once plugged in she dies....go figure...another expense:

    Videos:

    Car in Park


    Car in Drive

    Leave a comment:


  • So Live
    replied
    Right on. Dont feel bad dude i mistimed my car too! Its funny that you can spin the motor like 3 times by hand and everything seems to work fine and then you run the car and decide that somethings wrong and it turns out the timing you tripple checked is off!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kwaaahhh
    Need some update on the beast! :up:
    My fault...freaking tile...but I'll be done the 2nd of 4 rooms...and will be taking a lil' break from tile...so this weekend...another update coming...but basically the car is apart now so I can readjust the timing belt.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kwaaahhh
    replied
    Need some update on the beast! :up:

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Brief Update:

    The timing belt is definitely off as Eric alluded to....I thought I would be able to adjust it without pulling off the fan...but clearly thats not working...so unto disassembly this week and I hope to have it running this time next week...wife's got me putting down tile in the house too...YIKES!
    Automotive and tile work don't mix! Make sure you aren't greasy before kneeling on that grout! LOL.

    Yea, you gotta remove the fan. Good luck. Post back what you find on the timing belt...

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Brief Update:

    The timing belt is definitely off as Eric alluded to....I thought I would be able to adjust it without pulling off the fan...but clearly thats not working...so unto disassembly this week and I hope to have it running this time next week...wife's got me putting down tile in the house too...YIKES!

    Leave a comment:


  • Jparkr
    replied
    wetsand first with 2500 grit, then try buffing with a good polishing compound and down from there.

    Looking at the pictures again it looks like the paint is shot and filled with all those cracks in the clear.
    Its hard for me to tell from pictures. if the clear coat isn't cracking then i say your good with the wet sanding.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    So as I pulled the car in...I got tired of dealing the engine at the moment and decided to see how sore I could get my arms with the Porter cable on the hood...here are some shots:





    Easy to see what was touched...now I gotta try and get my hands on an orbital as that may actually bring the paint back better...

    How about those paint imperfections:

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Ok...here are the videos:

    The first one is from yesterday AM in the garage:


    These next few are outside and after taking the car around the neighborhood a couple of times to get the engine warm. I may have a vacuum leak as well, but there is a CEL that comes on after it got/gets warm...go figure...also the oil light on the check panel is lit....don't know why yet there...on to the videos:

    Startup:


    Open Hood:


    Closed Hood:


    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Frank...did I say how much you get on my nerves?...LOL...nice find on the M-tech kit man...lets hope something like that falls in my lap...oh and I'll be taking a listen/watch of your motor and hopefully I don't have to pull mine apart again...I'll post other videos in a second.

    Leave a comment:


  • fporro
    replied
    oekunar, you're doing great progress.

    yes, this engines tap a whole lot, incluing injectors, so is not only the valves.

    here's my rebuilt engine, almost no miles on her, but pressure was lowered with thicker gasket for when the Turbo comes.
    19 lbs injectors and big 6 amf, JC chip I think (have a few different ones)




    as far as stereo, she was butcherd so I put to use the cavities with 12", ran it with this amps, but now upgraded to triple Sony's.
    old school so they are good sounding, 4 x 5 1/4 3 ways, 2 x 8" mid ranges and 2 x 12" woofers, all sony too.
    is not about loudness, more like crisp clapton and screatchy purple haze.

    she;s got 2 new 12"s now, and will use liner in cavity.












    You never know, i ran into this oem kit, may you get lucky too.
    I'll have to get back to the mainland to do it all, but perhaps Delphi can come to hawaii with me :)



    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jparkr2004
    sounds WAY better, I think you are fine timing wise.
    You think?...it may be off a bit...but I'll likely still double check...lets see what it sounds like once I pull the car out...

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoJ's
    Nice project, I found this thread late. I don't know the depth of your experience with these motors, but if you didn't already know, they will have some valve noise. It's normal. If your valves are within spec., you should be fine in that area.
    Thanks...I got another video that will be going up shortly, but the car seems to run fairly well, being in the garage may also be magnifying the noise I'm getting so I will pull it out tonight to make another video and with the hood closed I'm sure the noise would be quite negligible...

    On another note...I don't know how old the gas in the car is....so i guess I'll need to burn it off or drain it....

    Leave a comment:

Working...