Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    what is c&c? Thanks L...I hope to come up for the meet Vlad posted...likely bringing the Touring.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    c&c soon?

    coming along nicely.
    what is c&c? Thanks L...I hope to come up for the meet Vlad posted...likely bringing the Touring.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    c&c soon?

    coming along nicely.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Look at that GAP!!!....

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Update:

    Good week of work on the vert, I ended up adding new tools to the collection to get off the exhaust nuts...and today I pulled the motor out...one man style!





    Engine bay looks like POOP!



    You can see the exhaust over on the right...here's the setup in the garage for now...I plan on pulling the tranny off tomorrow and start the degreasing/cleaning process. I think I'll take the opportunity to have some parts blasted/beaded and powdercoated, ie, valve cover, and intake manifold. I also need to take a good look at the power steering rack...the hoses have always leaked but now is the time to change it if necessary.

    The last pieces that need to come off the vert are the 2nd half of the drive shaft from the diff and the automatic shifter.

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    pardon my lack of experience with the e30, but wouldn't the exhaust get kinks in it still connect to the engine block?
    You mean the head? It's not connected to the block.

    Remove the nuts from where the manifold connects to the head.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Remove the nuts off of the manifold at the top. Move the exhaust out of the way as much as possible, then pull the engine/trans with the exhaust still in the car. Then remove the exhaust so you can remove the nuts. Use lots of liquid wrench and heat.
    pardon my lack of experience with the e30, but wouldn't the exhaust get kinks in it still connect to the engine block?

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Sure do...take the top of what off? The upper bolts are off, but the manifold is still being held by those pesky two on the rear bank...
    Remove the nuts off of the manifold at the top. Move the exhaust out of the way as much as possible, then pull the engine/trans with the exhaust still in the car. Then remove the exhaust so you can remove the nuts. Use lots of liquid wrench and heat.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Do you have an impact gun?

    Did you get the upper bolts of? Maybe take off the top and swing the exhaust out of the way so you can remove the engine. Not sure if there is room, but....
    Sure do...take the top of what off? The upper bolts are off, but the manifold is still being held by those pesky two on the rear bank...

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Do you have an impact gun?

    Did you get the upper bolts of? Maybe take off the top and swing the exhaust out of the way so you can remove the engine. Not sure if there is room, but....

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    cut / grind / sawzall the nuts off. Get an impact and just spin or break them off.

    Then replace the studs. A machine shop can do that if needed. They'll pull the old ones out and they can put new ones in, too. You can do this yourself, but sometimes it's a PITA, especially if you don't have certain tools.

    If you buy those ebay headers, won't you need to get more exhaust work to make them fit? $$$
    Eric,

    The problem I'm running to is that its the lower ones for the manfold...2 of them actually...its just a super tight fit...and my big ass hands aren't exactly accomodating :)

    Well I was figuring that the ebay headers would essentially be an "upgrade", but I'll have at the studs first...

    Thanks for your feedback!

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    As I'm in the process of pulling the motor/tranny, of course I ran into a snag...those darn manifold nuts. I'm very tempted to zawsall the exhaust just so we can pull the motor and then purchase the ebay (yikes) headers as a replacement. Any good reason not to?
    cut / grind / sawzall the nuts off. Get an impact and just spin or break them off.

    Then replace the studs. A machine shop can do that if needed. They'll pull the old ones out and they can put new ones in, too. You can do this yourself, but sometimes it's a PITA, especially if you don't have certain tools.

    If you buy those ebay headers, won't you need to get more exhaust work to make them fit? $$$

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    As I'm in the process of pulling the motor/tranny, of course I ran into a snag...those darn manifold nuts. I'm very tempted to zawsall the exhaust just so we can pull the motor and then purchase the ebay (yikes) headers as a replacement. Any good reason not to?

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Who lightened it for you?
    There's a guy in Sommerdale, NJ that did it...he dropped 4 lbs, he's often down your way at Atco racing (Anthony Figgas) I can get you his number, he owns the machine shop

    Originally posted by kishg
    well well well ola.. the swap has begun.. how goes it?
    Well its slated to start, but I've been having dreams about an e31 :devillook

    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Yea, me too. Driving on 300k+ old suspension worries me though. :)
    no worries...thats next after the swap...if I keep the car :)

    Originally posted by TwoJ's
    If you know how much material needs to be taken off, it should be easy for anyone at a machine shop to do a flywheel.
    Also depends on drivability and how often one feels like replacing clutches, lighter flywheels put more wear and tear on the clutch

    Originally posted by E30stan
    very entertaining thread, you really made a world of difference on this car, keep up the good work
    Originally posted by reelizmpro
    Damn, just read the entire thread. This is pretty impressive. The car is completely transformed. Major props for tackling it all.
    Thanks...still a ways to go to complete the "vision" :crazy:

    Leave a comment:


  • reelizmpro
    replied
    Damn, just read the entire thread. This is pretty impressive. The car is completely transformed. Major props for tackling it all.

    Leave a comment:

Working...