And it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
    I'm just speaking from experience. My m20 pistons were $600 alone (10.2:1 RD pistons). $300 in headwork, however much for cam, springs, arms and shafts, then all the gaskets, seals, hoses, etc. got pretty pricey. I wasn't trying to come across as a jerk or pessimistic or anything

Though I do think anything I do to my e30 is still worth it. No matter what it's still a $15-20k car :)
    $600 for pistons is cheap :p

that's why I did mine in two stages - head and then bottom end. much easier to swallow that way!
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Gotta agree on a built M20, its the route I will be undertaking hopefully at the beginning of next year.

An M52, with M50 head and intake mani and the Euro HFM and other mods is still right around 200 WHP, oh and you still have a used engine.

2mm overbore pistons + S52 crank = a 3.1 L M20 add big cam, some headwork, shot peened/x-ray'd new rocker arms and I'll bet you'll be close if not to the 200 WHP markm without the weight penalty of the 24v swap.
      Last edited by z31maniac; 05-14-2008, 09:00 AM.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

another thing to consider; spend 2-3k on an m20. you'll have a rough idle, and be maxed out for power. 230 at the crank if you get high compression, big ol cam, maf, etc etc. and you can't add a s/c or anything with that compression

2-3k on an s50, you'll have 240 at the crank, and just be starting out. build it n/a, or boost it, if you wanted power (fi isn't the reason im picking s50, just giving an example)
        Originally posted by blunt
        can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Wil everyone just stop shitting on Josh's thread? WTF?

If you don't like M20s thatn STFU and go somewhere else. This isn't a thread for s5x vs m20 debates. If you don't have something useful to add, GTFO.

Comment

No Typing On The Internet
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              Gotta agree on a built M20, its the route I will be undertaking hopefully at the beginning of next year.

An M52, with M50 head and intake mani and the Euro HFM and other mods is still right around 200 WHP, oh and you still have a used engine.

2mm overbore pistons + S52 crank = a 3.1 L M20 add big cam, some headwork, shot peened/x-ray'd new rocker arms and I'll bet you'll be close if not to the 200 WHP markm without the weight penalty of the 24v swap.
              Have you daily-driven a 3.1L M20? How about an M52?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

If you don't like M20s thatn STFU and go somewhere else. This isn't a thread for s5x vs m20 debates. If you don't have something useful to add, GTFO.
                Whoa! I don't think anyone was trying to crap on his thread!

And Stu, no, I haven't daily'd either. BUT, I do know what it is like to live with a peaky, race motor (my other toy is something that's actually fast, R6.)

I remember asking you about your setup and its definitely an awesome setup, but what did it cost you to accomplish that? The motor + tranny + getting everything in and going was QUITE a chunk of change I'm sure.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

a stock sportbike is still pretty tame though, ive had 99 and 01 r6's and a high revving factory motor is nothing like a built motor with a lumpy cam and shit idle

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

Thank you, Darin. I'm going with the built M20, that's all there is to say. I'll be sticking with an engine I'm VERY familiar with, not spending a ton of money, I'll get to keep my nearly new radiator, and there will be other things I'm doing with it that I can't do as well with an M50, such as things from a cosmetic standpoint. 24V engines are cool, but they're pretty damn boring looking. Might sound lame to some, but I'm big into badass engine bays, and I've got aesthetic plans for this engine build that I'm pretty excited about.

So please, enough with the trying to lead me to a 24V swap. I was going to do one, and decided against it. I want to do an M20, and I don't really care if the money I put into it doesn't equal 24V power. If I wanted 24V power, I'd do a swap. Maybe I'll do one later.

Comment

It's ok Joshie. I am with ya. M20 power!
                      :: PNW Crew ::
                      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Whoa! I don't think anyone was trying to crap on his thread!

And Stu, no, I haven't daily'd either. BUT, I do know what it is like to live with a peaky, race motor (my other toy is something that's actually fast, R6.)

I remember asking you about your setup and its definitely an awesome setup, but what did it cost you to accomplish that? The motor + tranny + getting everything in and going was QUITE a chunk of change I'm sure.
                        I didn't mean to crap on his thread--just throwing out an engine plan that is much better from a number of standpoints, though worse from others (cost, locating swap parts).

There are some things to consider with DD-ing a motor like a 3.1 M20, as you know I'm sure.

Regarding my motor....Cost of a blown engine, rebuilding the motor, a fresh tranny and all other associated swap parts plus several upgrades...about $3800 total. It wasn't cheap, but considering everything that was done and the number of brand new parts, it was a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                          Thank you, Darin. I'm going with the built M20, that's all there is to say. I'll be sticking with an engine I'm VERY familiar with, not spending a ton of money, I'll get to keep my nearly new radiator, and there will be other things I'm doing with it that I can't do as well with an M50, such as things from a cosmetic standpoint. 24V engines are cool, but they're pretty damn boring looking. Might sound lame to some, but I'm big into badass engine bays, and I've got aesthetic plans for this engine build that I'm pretty excited about.
                          I quoted this so you can reread it.

I mean, seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                            There are some things to consider with DD-ing a motor like a 3.1 M20, as you know I'm sure.
                            like gas mileage :p

really though, I don't think josh is going to daily this thing anyway. But I don't think a "big" M20 is going to be really difficult to DD. It's a lot of fun, actually.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              like gas mileage :p

really though, I don't think josh is going to daily this thing anyway. But I don't think a "big" M20 is going to be really difficult to DD. It's a lot of fun, actually.
                              haha, yea, but also oil consumption and drivability (assuming you have the cam/c-r necessary to generate power with the 3.1). "Fill up the oil and check the gas." :) I think he has a Toyota truck to daily, but that might be wrong.

Nando what was your build, 2.8 with dual pattern cam?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i View Post
                                I quoted this so you can reread it.

I mean, seriously?
                                word. 24v in e30 is sexy sexy. looks like it was meant to be there. the m20 is not an attractive motor by any means...
                                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X