This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the day I've been waiting for...
    I came home to this, a giant package on my doorstep and a freshly washed car in the driveway.

Besides the big package, I got two silver centercaps and a red intensive wash cap. Now, for those of you who don't know, the red intensive wash caps are somewhat rare. They used to produce the intensive wash caps in red, much like the red screwdrivers, and now they have replaced the red cap, with the clear cap with the same part number. You can see in this picture the red cap I got has the hole in the top, that means it is for an e28 because the e28 has a little valve that sticks in the top of it and sucks the water out. The good news is, I bought another red intensive cap without the hole in it which means it is a genuine e30 intensive wash cap. Anyways it was a bit dirty and even though it's getting replaced I decided to wash it a bit.
    Traded the "Intensive Wash" Label tag for the one I currently have on since the one i had on my tank was brand new.

White Intensive Wash Cap

Red Intensive Wash Cap

I also filled in the wheel without any centercap's hole with one of the centercaps and replaced one of my chrome centercaps with the silver centercap. It looks a whole lot better.
    Before:

After:

Then it was time to open the package. I got the supplies I bought in preparation

Opened the top of the box

It was packaged incredibly well! Thanks Atomic;)

Here it is

And the insides

The insides have the slightest bit of surface rust, but for a used bumper you have to expect that. At some point, i'll sand it off and paint it with primer to prevent future rust, same with the front bumper.

This is the weapon of choice to treat the bumper in the end

Now to start the disassembly process...
    Center apron off

Left Apron off (one screw was a bitch to get off, at a horrible angle and I didn't have the right socket to get it off so i continued disassembling)

Metal bumper itself off

Shocks out

Finally got the left apron out. It's amazing how dirty it was underneath the apron and diving board. For those who don't know, this is the vent that lets water out of the trunk.

The way I got that bitch of a screw out was like this

And wouldn't you know it, after further continuing the project, I found I had the correct socket all along. Don't you just love those kind of things?

Right Apron Off

For the Sidemarkers, instead of taking the entire rubber seals and wiring out, I decided to cut the wiring, and leave them in, since they are rubber, they will keep the trunk sealed well.

Then I cleaned the rear valence. Came out better than before but it isn't perfect.

Then I had to drill the hole to fit the brackets. I missed the first time, the left and bigger hole is the correct hole

Center of bumper on

Looking at the picture above I realized I was never going to be able to assemble the bumper from that kind of angle while it's on the car, So I took it back off and assembled it inside.

I then found that for the trim end caps, the euro fog light delete panel clips work in place of whatever clip should go in that place that I don't have. So I used those.

So full bumper on without trim

Trim on. This part was a bitch, I had to take all the clips and re-bend them so that they would snap back into the bumper and stay there, even after bending them I really had to whack the trim to let the clips snap into place. I almost considered buying a new mounting kit but in the end it turned out nicely.

This is what it looks like without the end cap

With. In this pic you can see just below the bumper, there is a bracket that's actually built into the valence that held the diving board apron. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Left side end cap, two different views

So in the end it looked awesome! Unfortunately I worked on installing it straight from the time I got out of school to the time it got dark, so I just barely finished before I ran out of light. I didn't have enough time to deal with any of the holes left over from the diving board removal but fortunate for me, I live in southern california, and it rains once in a blue moon here so I have a long time before I have to worry about water entering my trunk. To be neat though, i'll try to finish the project by doing something about those holes either tomorrow or the next day. I don't have any good pictures but tomorrow morning I'll do a little photoshoot for you guys and myself. I do have these two pics though

Last edited by Japandrew73; 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM.

Comment

yesss finally. I almost bought that bumper before atomic did... I ended up with an inferior one that needs a lot of work.

Can I pay you to go all OCD on my car's paint? :D
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        yesss finally. I almost bought that bumper before atomic did... I ended up with an inferior one that needs a lot of work.

Can I pay you to go all OCD on my car's paint? :D
        Haha to be honest I haven't done that much to my paint besides clayed once, waxed every couple of months, and wash once a week. That always keeps it looking good. What I really want to do is machine polish it to get all the swirls out. I don't have an orbital though so that will be a while off.

Yea the bumper is awesome! I'm really surprised how good the trim is. The trim looks identical to the brand new end caps I bought a few days ago. The chrome is probably a 9.5/10 with minor surface scratches of which most came out with chrome polish but even so they are only visible if you get down and look at just the right angle. So in other words, it's pretty much perfect :D

What did you end up doing about the holes in your rear valence?
        And are you going to the Vintage BMW drive this Saturday? I'll be there

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
          Haha to be honest I haven't done that much to my paint besides clayed once, waxed every couple of months, and wash once a week. That always keeps it looking good. What I really want to do is machine polish it to get all the swirls out. I don't have an orbital though so that will be a while off.

Yea the bumper is awesome! I'm really surprised how good the trim is. The trim looks identical to the brand new end caps I bought a few days ago. The chrome is probably a 9.5/10 with minor surface scratches of which most came out with chrome polish but even so they are only visible if you get down and look at just the right angle. So in other words, it's pretty much perfect :D

What did you end up doing about the holes in your rear valence?
          And are you going to the Vintage BMW drive this Saturday? I'll be there
          My holes are currently sealed with.. electrical tape. It's ghetto, but works until I can pull everything off and redo it properly, which will happen next Sunday, probably. I'll probably be there Saturday. Are you going to go to the E30 Motor Works open house/swap meet that's later in the day?
          cars beep boop

Comment

PM'd you

Comment

I remembered before when you posted at S14 regarding to trade your car. Im glad you kept it and you are doing a great job. Congrats.

Comment

I hope for your sake that you don't plan on selling this car any time in the near future. You will never get anywhere near your investment when you sell. I can't believe you are spending every penny you have to buy pointless little "euro" parts just so you can say that you've got them.

And all of this to an m10 powered car! m10!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                  I hope for your sake that you don't plan on selling this car any time in the near future. You will never get anywhere near your investment when you sell. I can't believe you are spending every penny you have to buy pointless little "euro" parts just so you can say that you've got them.

And all of this to an m10 powered car! m10!!!
                  Take it easy guy. I know I won't get what I've spent out of this car. But someday, when I do decide to sell it, there will be a buyer out there that will appreciate the rare and euro parts on my car. I don't have anywhere else to be spending my money, and this is what I love to do. So I do...

Comment

It looks awesome Andrew! Glad everything showed up unharmed after you were able to unbox it, looooooool...

Who would have thought the clips on those FREE euro fog light delete panels would work to hold the end caps on!

:up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                      It looks awesome Andrew! Glad everything showed up unharmed after you were able to unbox it, looooooool...

Who would have thought the clips on those FREE euro fog light delete panels would work to hold the end caps on!

:up: :up:
                      hah yea I had a ton of clips left over from when I bought them for my other set of fog light delete panels. Thanks for the extra goody though:D

Comment

Looking Nice. I like the euro bumpers.
                        sigpic
                        1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                        1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                        1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                        1990 E30 325i
                        1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                        1996 E36 328ic
                        1997 Z3
                        2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Personal favorite shot V

Overall I'm extremely happy with the look of my car. As you can see from the pics the trim needs a bit of adjusting and tightening and the holes in my rear valence could be filled and the entire valence could use a rattle-can of Schwarz from the dealer.... all due in good time.
                          Last edited by Japandrew73; 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Now something needs to be done with the off-road stance you have going on. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
                              Now something needs to be done with the off-road stance you have going on. :D
                              That will change this summer when I don't have school interfering with the time I could be using to work

Comment

all previous pics in my thread won't work until the 10th of this month so that's in one week. All pics from the euro bumper photoshoot to the future photos will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X