Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I two of the most unnecessarily detailed parts because I know that attention to detail matters!:D

They are the Red Intensive Wash Cap that is actually for the e30 rather than the e28. It doesn't have the hole on top for the valve like the e28 cap does.

The other is in a laminated case and won't come out for a while. In the state of California, they stopped producing the Blue License plates with yellow writing in late 1983, my car was built in early 84 and received the blue license plate as one of the rest of the blue plates that were given out before the white plate with the sunset replaced it. On the Blue license plates, the registration month sticker in the top left corner of the plate was Red font with a "picnic"-like striping in the background. I currently have the Newest Blue font sticker. It is a very hard thing to do to locate the old registration month sticker but I found a guy who stocked up on them back in the day and saved them for when they no longer offered them and knew car freaks like me would want them. So I have the original stick ready to put on my plate, but if this is going on my plate, I'm going to have my plate be perfect. So eventually I'll send my plate in to be restored and once it comes back looking brand new i'll put the sticker on. Until then, it sits on my shelf in it's laminated case...... Yea it's a very silly thing to get, but the guys at a local BMWCCA clean car contest showed me this and I found it really cool how much attention to detail it was.

A little dirty at first, but with some soap, a toothbrush, baking soda and a slight use of an exact-o-knife I got it looking nice again.

E28 cap currently on the tank

E30 cap on left and E28 cap with hole for valve on right

Now it just needs a new washer tank to go with it.... eventually...

Here is the blue font sticker I currently have...

And for you skeptics, i'm sitting in my chair flipping you off because I finally have got the wide-angle heated mirror. I had a guy in the UK order it and when it finally came to his dealer, it had cracked in packaging, so they sent it back and ordered it again and it came and is waiting for the dude. He will pick it up tomorrow or the next day and send me pics and send it on its way into my possession and onto my car.......... yes it was worth it
    Last edited by Japandrew73; 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Well I cant see most of the pics on this thread, but I got a feeling youre on to something here and headed in the right direction. More fucking power to you man! If I had the spare loot, Id be doin it too.
      sigpic

Comment

Were did you come up with a DEC sticker like that?

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
          Were did you come up with a DEC sticker like that?
          Guy on ebay had the last DEC sticker i think. he may have a few more but he has a bunch from other months

Comment

Well now you better hope that that DEC sticker doesn't flake off or crack...then you're out of luck.

Comment

Got my new headlight wash wipe interval control unit in the mail today. I also took a little visit to my neighbors house 3 doors down. His name is partstig, anybody ever heard of him?:D I showed him my large toolkit and he went into his garage and casually gave me a spanner wrench. If you're reading this thanks partstig
              IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/japandrew/IMG_7222.jpg[/IMG]
              Before

After without cloth in pic (look to the far left for the spanner)

After pic with cloth, slowly but surely it's coming together

Here is the working wash wipe control unit on the right and the broken one on the left. The working one is a bit dirtier than the broken one but i did what I could

Why is the one on the right broken you ask? can you tell from this picture?

How about from this picture?

How about now? (if you smell it, it smells like burnt circuitboard), oh and in case you didn't know, it isn't supposed to come out like that, it's sealed.

So here is a pic after I did some work with soap, water, a toothbrush and some baking soda to the working control unit in poor condition. Came out better than the old one. (the working one is on the left)

So my headlight cleaning system and Intensive wash system both work perfectly now. At this point, I think literally every problem I could have with the headlight cleaning system has occurred and i've fixed. I don't think i'll be having any troubles with it from here on.
              Last edited by Japandrew73; 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Your car is BEAUTIFUL Love the bumpers. Saw a great market 320 or 323 at the shop. Bronzit with the euro bumpers. What a difference they make.

I am curious, the large toolkit, is that from an e28 or is it an e30 factory option?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FL318is View Post
                  Your car is BEAUTIFUL Love the bumpers. Saw a great market 320 or 323 at the shop. Bronzit with the euro bumpers. What a difference they make.

I am curious, the large toolkit, is that from an e28 or is it an e30 factory option?

Thanks
                  It's an e30 factory option, it also happens to be identical to the e28 toolkit except the spare bulbs and fuses foam is different in the e28. I currently have the American E30 spare bulbs and fuses foam. I'm looking for the euro foam but it's very hard to find as most people didn't even know e30's could have large toolkits.

Comment

So here is the little "Surprise" i've been talking about.
                    Guess what it is?

How about now?

Moonroof

It needs a lot of work, but these are hard to come by. It needs to be cleaned up first of all. A simple glass polish. I then need to scrape off the glue with a plastic putty knife from the missing bracket. I then need to take the other bracket and rail off and remove the bracket and scrape it's residue off. I then need to repaint the black trim around the top edge of it and get all new gaskets. Then once it's in good looking shape, I can either take it straight to the local sunroof place I've been referred to, or take it to a metal shop first to remake the brackets to be glued on. Most likely i'll take it straight to the sunroof place. Anyways here are many pics...

This is the aftermarket company that signed a deal with BMW to produce them. It technically isn't OEM but it was a dealer installed option by this company, so it's an original BMW option.

It needs a lot of work but i'll get the job done. I also need to fabricate a slider from my previous sunroof headliner but that comes last in the operation. I'll take the time to do the list of repairs to it later in the week, i'm swamped with homework and essays and finals. Summer starts in a week and a half though so car progress with speed up!

Comment

well played... I am tryin to get that install manual into a pdf for you... srry for the delay
                      e30sport.net
                      '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                      '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                      '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Not bad, IIRC it was the ASC Four Seasons moonroof that was the factory, dealer-installed accessory, though I am not sure who manufactured the glass.

One further rare option was the "Four-Seasons" glass moonroof, discontinued as of September, 1990.
                        This same glass moonroof was used on a few E30's as well, my brother's old 318is actually had it on there.
                        Last edited by TDE30; 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM.
                        - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
                        E36 325i sedan
                        E30 325i sedan
                        Volvo 945T

Comment

Originally posted by TDE30 View Post
                          Not bad, IIRC it was the ASC Four Seasons moonroof that was the factory, dealer-installed accessory, though I am not sure who manufactured the glass.

This same glass moonroof was used on a few E30's as well, my brother's old 318is actually had it on there.
                          Thanks, Yea I have a collection of e30 brochure PDF's and in one of them there was the ASC Four Seasons roof, that was one of the brands, there was actually one more though... I'll try to find the pics.

Well i don't want to turn this into a moonroof legitimacy thread, but I have two brochures and neither of which have my type of moonroof in them, but I took it down to my friend at my local dealer who's worked there since 1983 and he said LOF was one of the companies that originally made the moonroofs, they also made some of the windscreens and windows for BMW. So i guess there was more than one manufacturer for the Moonroofs that BMW signed with. If you look on the logo of mine it does say "AS3"... close to ASC hah. What makes me think mine is original is that almost every moonroof I've seen has the same logo as mine in the bottom right corner saying safety float. Maybe it is made by ASC they just didn't stamp their name on it they stamped like specs on it there or something, because I've never seen one stamped anything but safety float, AS3, etc...
                          here are the two brochure pics

Oh and if you could get that instal manuel scanned and sent to me i'd really appreciate the help, if not no worries though.

EDIT: Safety Float is just a specific type of glass
                          Solid Tempered is just the way the glass was made
                          DOT 15 is just the DOT standards
                          LOF with the square around it is the company that makes it. I'm trying to find more research on them. they are an automotive glass company but I'm not sure about which cars they did....

Read these DOT things... read under the section DOT-15 and have a picture of my moonroof logo next to it, a lot of the stuff match up but I can't figure out what the AS3 is
                          Handbook of Compliant Safety Devices: AMECA serves the motoring public, state police and motor vehicle administrations to help prevent accidents due to substandard equipment.

this doesn't relate to BMW either
                          Last edited by Japandrew73; 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Here we go. After a bit of research I've confirmed the manufacturer. When you google LOF the first link that comes up is Pilkington. Pilkington is a North American Automotive glass company. Confirmed by this:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Pilkington is who BMW used for their OEM glass. Pilkington owns all the old "Sigla", "Sekurit", and "LOF" plants which are all used for BMW glass. My windows are made by Sigla, I've seen one moonroof made by Sekurit, and all the other Moonroofs I've seen are made by LOF.

Wasn't a personal thing to prove you wrong TDE30 I'm just very bored and wanted to solve the mystery :D

Comment

The moon roof was a BMW part that was dealer installed. It had a BMW part number for the slider and another for the non slider kit and a seperate number for each part. All are NLA
                              e30sport.net
                              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                                The moon roof was a BMW part that was dealer installed. It had a BMW part number for the slider and another for the non slider kit and a seperate number for each part. All are NLA
                                happen to get the manuel scanned?

Comment

Working...
                                X