Shedcar - an Early Model M20 Build + Other Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine extraction - day two!

I began by cutting out the core support. Obviously there wasn't much left there to save. After doing so I was left with the real job at hand - removing the fender and shock tower from the space formerly occupied by the exhaust manifolds.

Untitled by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Proceeding forward also required removal of the right front suspension. While not normally a required step in engine removal, this isn't exactly a normal engine pull

A shot of front suspension/tire penetration into the cabin.... admittedly, there is something to be said for modern car safety.

...and now we get to the major problem. I'm going to need another block..... (which I believe I have already sourced locally)

Moving forward... it is out!

As you can see here, the mounting ears are sheared off on this side as well.

Current state of the chassis (minus a front strut tower)

I will definitely be utilizing a spare g260 that I have. This one, like the block it was attached to, definitely did not survive

That is basically where I stand now. I'll have to pick up the new-to-me block sometime this week (hopefully tomorrow) and get a space set up to roll everything over.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

That's some serious carnage
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Swap the front case of a blown up trans onto that one, good for a spare perhaps? Long as the input isn't bent I guess
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
          Swap the front case of a blown up trans onto that one, good for a spare perhaps? Long as the input isn't bent I guess
          I'll keep that trans around for exactly that. The input shaft still spins freely (though I have no idea whether it is in gear or not).... provided the rest of it is fine, it'll probably live on in some form

I picked up a m20 i short block today. Aiming to get it stripped down this weekend once I get some customer work done first

Comment

Continuing where we left off last time.... I bought half an m20!

This particular short block came from a running 325ic which had a cracked cylinder head. Teardown didn't reveal any surprises, fortunately. It'll get a refresh (rings, bearings, etc) and receive the cylinder head + ancillaries from the other m20.

As you can see, my super-awesome pressed board table has returned for yet another engine build

Seeing as the car has no driveline installed and still needs bodywork, we move to the next logical step of carpet cleaning! This carpet (and basically the rest of the interior) was saved from the early/late thing that I parted last year. While it seems pointless at this current stage, all of the interior along with other parts have been stashed in shedcar. Seeing as I need to empty it out to reach the fuel tank as well as pull the dash for the climate control overhaul, I figured I might as well clean it while its out. I don't currently have any after photos as it took until this evening to dry (these were taken Monday)

...and now you're up to date! I need to get the block cleaned/painted as well as ordering some parts, though I have some other work that needs to take place before that. Bodywork has resumed as well, albeit at a slow pace.

Bonus e36 shot

Comment

Turned out superb!! Nice work!

Comment

Returning to where we left off last time.... I am still waiting on some parts to arrive, mainly rod bearings and bolts. In the meantime, though, the ti now has its winter wheels installed

my door trying its best to be Canadian

Back to the two into one m20 build, I have successfully reached the most boring portion of any engine build... parts cleaning!

Before

After

I opted to go with grey for this engine.

That's basically all I have for this moment. I'll probably tear the other m20 down sometime this week in preparation for the few remaining parts arriving (and I'm tired of walking around it...)

Comment

Well, that escalated quickly

I guess I can technically say that I have an m20 e30 now..... next up is a rear subframe swap as well as a replacement fuel tank.

Comment

Awesome- You sure do have a bunch of simultaneous projects! What's your plan with battery tray area on the m20 car? Looks strange without the tray but I don't hate it.

What's up with your M54 car? Still running good? I had an M54 track car a while back and it was fantastic, I'm about to have another M54 drivetrain available and considering swapping a street car now.
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

As fun as it is, its also a problem lol. Having a lot of stuff is cool at times but also gets really old when everything is broken at the same time.

Battery tray - it went because it was rusty, no real plan for it. I'm used to seeing it missing since the m54 car has had its tray deleted for some time now.... it definitely made getting the giant valve cover off. Speaking of that car, its doing great! I drove it to go Christmas shopping today (yay procrastination!). Its future involves a 5 lug conversion and finalizing some of the swap stuff that isn't up to a standard that I would like. As a street engine I cannot recommend it enough, tons of power and a lower driveline weight vs a cast block m50/52. I get 25-26 mpg highway with a 2.79 LSD and no overdrive, with A/C! The only real annoyance is the lack of cruise control - the MS43 is looking for a canbus generated speed signal from an ABS unit which I do not have (yet - I'm willing to do a mk60 for cruse alone, hilariously). I cannot recommend the swap enough.

Comment

Tonight - I pull a subframe, then pull another subframe, then power wash when it is entirely too cold!

First up is the original rear subframe assembly. Overall it was actually in rather good condition considering its age... but not exactly what I'm looking for here. Drum brake trailing arms definitely leave something to be desired and will be on the way out.

A shameless plug for starting with a platform which has never lived in the world of road salt! I have removed many e30 subframes, but I had never had one simply fall out until now.

Next, we have an innocent looking fuel tank. Inside, however, is the opposite of innocent. I believe the last time this had fuel in it was 2002.... this will be making a quick trip directly to the scrap pile.

Much better! As expected, the theme of lacking any corrosion continued to above the fuel tank (Those used to Northern examples, do not worry. There will be some rust repair content in the future for the lower trunk boxes)

Onto the next subframe - this should look a bit more familiar to the average r3ver. Unlike the previous unit, this one was (as usual)stuck in the chassis.... but fortunately sawzall blades exist to quickly remedy that issue.

This one is a bit rustier. Going forward here, I'll need to prep/paint the subframe and trailing arms.... but am using a spare subframe as it is considerably less rusty. I need to reseal the differential as well. That's it for today.... I don't have any photos of the underbody post-power washing.... it looks like the bottom of an e30 without dirt on it !

Comment

Nice work- the '89 iS hoopty subframe dropped off in a similar fashion. So satisfying. My secret stuck subframe trick that usually works is to unbolt everything and set a dolly under the rear subframe assembly. Come out in the morning and gravity does the work for you lol.

The early model M20 car is going to be a blast!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

+subscribed to this build.

Man that e30 that hit a tree looks like it was in really nice shape - no cracks on the dash, new coolant reservoir, R134a swap. Super clean and super fuct. Hope you got as many good parts off it as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by atmh View Post
                              +subscribed to this build.

Man that e30 that hit a tree looks like it was in really nice shape - no cracks on the dash, new coolant reservoir, R134a swap. Super clean and super fuct. Hope you got as many good parts off it as possible!
                              Unfortunately so. I would have much rather stayed with the m42 and not had this as a donor option... but it became available. I cannot stress enough the importance of quality tires - which it did not have. Definitely following yours as well, you have quite the task ahead of you as far as rust repair!

Comment

Conditions have rapidly deteriorated here in middle TN. Recently, we have encountered a mythical season known as winter - to those of you in the North, a fluffy white substance falling from the sky may be normal. I can assure you that it is not normal for us. Due to this unforseen set of circumstances, progress has definitely slowed down a bit.

With that in mind, we pick up with the recently removed subframes. The disc brake arms pulled from the donor actually have some rust issues, particularly in the spring pad area. While they are repairable if they were my only option, I have the original disc brake subframe/trailing arms as well from the m42 donor. One problem, though - it is somewhere in here

After spending 15min convincing the early 70s skid steer that operating in 25deg weather was in fact an excellent idea, I got the assembly out and up to the house. I suspect it'll be a couple of months before I can do anything with it though as I'll need weather conducive to painting. Knowing that, we move onto things that we can do - painting brake calipers in the heated (albeit with a space heater) garage! Both of these calipers were overhauled within the last year but were never refinished.

Before

After

Now that I'm done with these, I get to do more calipers! Picked these up today in order to do 5 lug stuff on the m54 car, since I obviously need another project.

That's it for today, next up will be everyone's least favorite - CV axles!

Comment

Working...
                                X