Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estimate on a glass out, interior out, engine out restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimate on a glass out, interior out, engine out restore?

Hello fellow R3V fans,

After having my car have rust repairs (new metal welded in) as well as a re-spray done a few years ago, I've realized there's some areas that were missed (engine bay, wheel wells etc.)
    As a result, I've been considering renting a double garage and stripping the car down to the bare shell (as far as I can get with common tools). Then, sending the shell to a reputable shop who'll do the body work, painting etc. with me doing the re-assembly.

Just wondering if there's any ballpark figures for this task? I plan on re-freshing (power window motors, lock assemblies, switches etc.) all the components that need attention while they are out. Not planning on doing anything over the top like rebuild the engine (unless it needs it).

For anyone who's done anything similar, can you give me a ballpark figure on how much it'll cost (not including renting a garage and other peripheral costs).

thanks in advance!
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Have you reached out to Jordan (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...318is-restomod)? His is certainly over-the-top, but he may be able to give you some general figures on replacement parts. I've never had a car painted, but I've heard prices vary drasatically based on quality, skill, and time, as is the case for most things.

Comment

Not yet, but I will now!

thanks for the link!

Comment

I'm interested in this too, so let us know what you find out. I'm a couple of years away from doing it, but my car needs to be stripped (which I'll do myself) restored (I'm a crappy welder) and painted too. Some rust in the floor where insulation trapped water, sunroof cartridge area, who knows where else. Not sure if restoration and paint costs more than a rust free car these days though. Probably does, but in 2-3 years? who knows.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

There are some figures in this thread https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-reborn/page26
          8 months in a body shop, though.

Comment

I have $45k in hard costs, which would likely be closer to $60k without the wholesale accounts and arrangements I have in place with vendors. Plus the man hour counter (my actual time) is around 530 hours right now. Multiply that times whatever shop rate you fancy to come to a realistic price.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
              I have $45k in hard costs, which would likely be closer to $60k without the wholesale accounts and arrangements I have in place with vendors. Plus the man hour counter (my actual time) is around 530 hours right now. Multiply that times whatever shop rate you fancy to come to a realistic price.
              Thanks for posting in this thread Jordan.
              EDIT:
              Sorry, wrong question.
              What I meant to say was ….wow! I can understand both sides of the reasoning for doing your build.
              Guess I need to see if it's worthwhile on my end to go this far.

thank you!
              Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 04-28-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Thanks for posting in this thread Jordan.
                Given what you know now, would you still consider it a worthwhile project? or would purchasing an e30 which has already completed this process be a better choice?
                You can get a mint low-mileage E30 on BaT for $20,000 or less.
                Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325i M-Technic at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #28,486.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-92/
                  Funny you posted that one as an example. The new owner has already stripped the car down and had it repainted. Perhaps not as mint as advertised?

Comment

True, but as anyone knows, those pics are only as good as the angle at which they were taken.
                    (there's lots that's not fully revealed from those pics).

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Funny you posted that one as an example. The new owner has already stripped the car down and had it repainted. Perhaps not as mint as advertised?
                      I would like to read about his motivations.
                      Maybe, he couldn't live with tiny imperfections.

I wonder how he could finish a repaint in only 1 month as the car was sold on 02/28.

Comment

I would like to read about his motivations.
                        Maybe, he couldn't live with tiny imperfections.

I wonder how he could finish a repaint in only 1 month as the car was sold on 02/28.
                        If you are on the R3V Facebook group the new owner posts updates there. He's also on this forum, but doesn't post frequently here. Definitely go check it out on FB when you get a chance as it's fun to see the large and frequent updates.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

If you are on the R3V Facebook group the new owner posts updates there. He's also on this forum, but doesn't post frequently here. Definitely go check it out on FB when you get a chance as it's fun to see the large and frequent updates.
                          Ah, it seems like a private forum for the elite.

I like to read topics here that describe authentic restorations. Like the one about the 5-year restoration of an M3.
                          A 1-month restoration probably won't provide much interest to me.

Comment

Ah, it seems like a private forum for the elite.

I like to read topics here that describe authentic restorations. Like the one about the 5-year restoration of an M3.
                            A 1-month restoration probably won't provide much interest to me.
                            It's on e30 zone facebook group as well. The car has been painted by the same shop that shot paint Jordan's build....
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

The seller of this car should be kicked, repeatedly, in the balls for grossly misrepresenting the vehicle. Jon can go into detail, but the condition of the paint and body was abhorrent.

Sadly BaT sucks sellers dicks and ANY sort of negative feedback spoken about a seller from a buyer will get you banned from the site.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X