No announcement yet.

'84 318i 'LTW' Lemons Race Car with M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How frustrating! Hopefully that’s the root cause, finally.

Comment

glad my homemade spoiler got added to this thing!
      Paynemw
      1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
      the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
      1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Great thread!
        Love the lemons experience and happy that you may have found your issue.

Comment

Thanks guys, better resolution photos here that the r3v uploader wouldn't let me add more than 5. Forgot i rebuilt the drivers door lock too. Paynemw, thanks for the spoiler, I am curious to see how it performs on track!! Painting it meant disassembling it and reassembling the different mounts haha

20211030_180802 by t sz, on Flickr

20211030_182526 by t sz, on Flickr

20211113_162337 by t sz, on Flickr

20211123_182900 by t sz, on Flickr

DSC_0194 by t sz, on Flickr

20220513_083501 by t sz, on Flickr

20220507_152123 by t sz, on Flickr

20220507_154510 by t sz, on Flickr

20220507_181041 by t sz, on Flickr
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
            Paynemw, thanks for the spoiler, I am curious to see how it performs on track!! Painting it meant disassembling it and reassembling the different mounts haha
            not my best work, but it was educational.

Paynemw
            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I was able to drive the car to my house and do some work on it. This is the condition before the trip.

20221030_153545 by t sz, on Flickr

One common problem on these old M42's is failure of the plastic water pipe under the intake manifold. With the mess under the intake removed, this is much easier. I planned to replace that with the spare I had bought, and replace the thermostat that appears to be stuck open. I cleaned up some of the dirt and had also ordered on of these M42 lift hooks from here on R3V so that in case we need to pull the engine at the track or in the future it will make that effort much easier. The plastic water pipe nipple on the top cracked trying to remove the hose so it was old and brittle. I tried replacing the wiper motor but it is still moving very slow so that was a fail.

20221031_221442 by t sz, on Flickr

20221101_183334 by t sz, on Flickr

20221101_183426 by t sz, on Flickr

20221103_190710 by t sz, on Flickr

It looks like I forgot a picture of it back together but while I was in there I replaced the upper intake manifold gasket too. Then I used the old LED light strip from the old rear spoiler wing to test the rear wing LED lighting idea. This is not installed as I am undecided about leaving it as part of the LED lighting or making it a brake light that lights up under braking. I also used black 3M seal sealer to try and seal up the gaps in the floor pan. This was letting in a ton of brake dust from the front brakes so the idea is to reduce the brake dust. Forgot pictures of that apparently. Also the wheel son it had a bad vibration. I believe the wheel weights fell off the wheel since one was missing any weights. I had to swap those and plan to balance them tomorrow before installing before the lapping day. For now the green wheels stay off so they can be saved for the next race and I put these Azev wheels on for a few days. it looks pretty awesome though these staggered wheels have really old tires on them. I also filled up the tanks, the secondary lift pump seems to be working though the gauge is reading less fuel than is in it. It should have about 3 more gallons in it which explains why the fuel light did not come on.

20221101_201546 by t sz, on Flickr

20221108_185112 by t sz, on Flickr

20221103_174923 by t sz, on Flickr

20221108_185027 by t sz, on Flickr
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post

​Did you use submersible-rated fuel hose on that aeromotive pump?
                In case you didn't know, the regular stuff will break down and turn into goo when inside a gas tank.

I used Gates 27097 (3/8" ID) hose for my car. Cheapest option for me was was to order a small length on eBay from a gent in the UK.

Comment

I am sure downforce will have more updates but I wanted to share a few thoughts.

I had a chance to drive a 30-40 minute session at the end of the track day yesterday after hitting a new personal best in the M3/4/5 with some new tire and Apex wheels. Pic for posterity.

The melon now handles the best since I have driven it. The car didn't skip or bump over the course like it did before and the rear felt very planted in general, especially into turn 1, not quite as sketchy as before when it felt like it easily wanted to slide out. This meant there was more focus on hitting later braking points and sliding the car a bit into the turn to carry more speed and scrub off some speed a bit with the tires rather than solely the brake pedal. Overall a much more neutral setup and no stuttering or breaking up of power throughout the course. Of course we have to adjust the brake bias forward still as the rears want to lock up first, especially in the slow turns. Overall though, the car is smooth and easy to drive at the moment even though it isn't blazing fast. It needs to be reliable first and we may be very close!!

We also ended the day without a tow for maybe the first time during our build here. As far as lap times, it seems like we are a few seconds off the pace, but I was able to run consistent laps at a 2:24 pace even in the cool 50F temperatures and overcast afternoon. I suspect with more heat in the brakes tires and asphalt, this would have been a bit quicker.

Here are a few photos I took though I am sure there will be more photo updates and video that will be shared.

http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Car made the race this past weekend at High Plains Raceway BFE GP 2023 and finished running within the top 10! The entire weekend was rain on the track except for about 1-2 hours total. I know Ted has some epic footage he will probably share of his damp course driving stint, passing everybody like he had cheat mode engaged or something.

Testing right after vehicle tech:

Paddock

Grid on Race morning

325e

E28 535i B35

First session, in the top 20!

Passing the subaruy Brat E30 325i. The wet was favorable to us!

We didn't get any black flags for going off or other behavior, though the car started running lower on power the second day. In the last 3 hours of the race, this got to be significant and we were 20-30 seconds of our lap pace the day before. We just kept turning laps though!

Judges made us take the front end off with 2 hours to go (for now reason!!) and we lost about 4-5 laps. This ultimately took us back about 3 spots overall and out of the top 3 in our class.

Team photo

The car made it and we reached our goal of all drivers getting seat time, the car not having an incident, the car running the entire race, and the car finishing under it's own power! We actually got a rookie award and maybe we can share a few more photos in the coming days.
                    http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by tschultz View Post
                      Car made the race this past weekend at High Plains Raceway BFE GP 2023 and finished running within the top 10!

The car made it and we reached our goal of all drivers getting seat time, the car not having an incident, the car running the entire race, and the car finishing under it's own power! We actually got a rookie award and maybe we can share a few more photos in the coming days.
                      Congratulations! The whole crew looks happy.

Always a good race weekend when the car finishes in one piece.

Comment

Working...
                      X