Project #26 MR2MAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to get caught up!

Saturday I had to make 2 trips to Toyota for coolant. Car swallowed the 1st gallon and nearly all of the second one. Once the reservoir was sitting steady I moved on to the intake. Long story short, my combo of Celica, MR2, and Elise intake boots weren’t the right combo for my car but I couldn’t figure out why. Turns out my motor is from a Matrix, not a Celica... explains some of my random surprises I’ve had.

Wanting to feel somewhat accomplished, I hooked up the battery and figured I’d give it a shot and see what happens. Door gong ringing as soon as I opened the door was a nice surprise and with the turn of the key I heard the fuel pump turn on so I figured let’s give it a go and she was turning over..., and....an overwhelming fuel smell so I shut it down. The fuel line didn’t seat properly and promptly coated the garage floor in gasoline. That was when I called it a day haha

It was a hot day and quite frustating overall, so when I settled on the couch at night, I decided I had two options. Buy an intake setup piece by piece or just buy MonkeyWrenches setup. After pricing all the pieces I wasn’t really saving any money so I just ordered the MWR intake. That should finally arrive on Friday.

If you haven’t noticed I was still trying to decide on exhausts. Not having the grand for the titanium exhaust my heart desires, I shopped my other options. I like the Elise style and found one on Amazon (of all places) for just $175. DNA Motoring. Couldn’t find any reviews of it on the forums so I will be making a detailed one separately. The Amazon reviews weren’t good, but my $100 Amazon gift card, and some cash in my PayPal acct meant my out-of-pocket costs were going to be quite low. Being Amazon, I had my exhaust in hand on Monday. The reviews didn’t lie. To be fair, the welds looked good and the piping was mandrel bent. There was also the weight difference, another 10lbs dropped and this was from all the way in the tail... Here’s some pics.

The Good:

Shiny exhaust haha

The Bad:

Basically it just didn’t fit right with the hangers as delivered. It pulled the exhaust too far away from the downpipe, so the driverside one needed to be flipped and the angle of the pass side one needed to be changed because it was leaning the piping against the body and the muffler outlet was crooked... You get what you pay for!

So tonight I was back at it and knew the hangers were going to need to be cut and welded. I’m not that good at welding, but that’s no excuse not to use it, especially for this exhaust haha

Driverside mount before and then cut and flipped. Ready for my welding skills

Admire that welding lol... it’s strong and that’s all I cared about

and here is what my plan was for the pass side mount. Before and after

After welding this one the hanger still tilted down so I still didn’t fix the problem on the pass side. Almost there though, and more Importantly I wanted to fix the fuel line so I could give it another shot. Fuel line was easy so I figured let’s give it another shot, and sure enough SHE FIRED RIGHTUP!... however with no intake the CEL was on and idled kinda high so I shut it down. Figured I could basically putthe car back together which also meant making room in the bumper for the exhaust tips. That was fun and I just kept plugging away...

Ended the night with the car back on the ground.

Hope to have the inaugural drive this weekend once that intake arrives... stay tuned...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

yeehaw simon, sounds like an eventful few days.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Hope to have the inaugural drive this weekend once that intake arrives... stay tuned...
        My MWR Intake arrived on Friday, so I thought I was all ready for an inaugural drive but NOPE!.. Seems the Ishihara/ Johnson Crank Scraper was still interfering so I pulled the oil pan, removed the crank scraper and put the OEM tiny tray back in. After that it was all smiles so I took a quick drive yesterday. Was supposed to be a small trip around the block but I ended up going on a longer drive. I HAD to feel lift and oh boy did I!

Good news: No CEL, car pulls strong.
        Bad news: Temps were rising at the stoplights but did settle down with the heater on and moving. Likely some air still in the system. My suspension is TIRED! Luckily the solution is waiting for me, I just need to get down to Orange County and Im determined to drive this car there. Hopefully this next weekend I will have all of that ironed out with suspension installed.

Summary of the drive:
        bout whats to be expected on a first drive. Some issues that need attention, some items that previously werent a problem, but with a fresh motor and tranny its obvious that the suspension and probably brakes need to be done ASAP, especially with the way I drive...

All in all, its crazy how with ALMOST 200bhp this car feels so quick. A testament to lightweight goodness. Once the supporting package is ironed out this should be a hoot in the canyons, though I need to learn how to drive a mid-engine car so I dont make a mistake at the wrong time.

Hopefully the next post will be after suspension is installed so you can see what a dramatic change this car gets when lowered, even on stock wheels...
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Awesome! This came together quickly!

Comment

Well, Friday was a longer test run filled with various stop-and-go, variable loads and speeds. Eventually after about 15 miles with no drama I ended up at a self-service car wash. Having never washed the car since I’ve owned it and it sitting on a dusty insurance lot it’s needless to say the car was filthy. However with a top that has a few tears in it I had to be conscious of the angles I was pointing the water. Also the previous owner must’ve been the type to have a dog riding shotgun at all times judging by all the dog hair I vacuumed out... not perfect yet but on its way.

After the bath, I made my way to the freeway to finally give it the beans and you know what, hot damn!.. Not skyrocketing temps and just smiles and lift. Took it home and felt pretty good

Still had a few things to deal with and noticed some tranny oil on the bottom of the tranny, but can’t really determine from where. Might be from the axles as I saw a little on them as well.

Pretty sure I got the axles in all the way, but is there anyway to confirm?

With that on my mind I still had plans to go get my coilovers but they aren’t quite ready yet. However, I still wanted to put some miles on it so what better way than to take a drive on the PCH. Notched another 60 miles or so before the CEL came on... code P0171. Still smiling. The power under 6000 rpms is still good, I am quite happy with the car right now.

Cleared the code we’ll see if it comes back, but really want to get the suspension installed and the alignment done as I’m itching to start having fun with the car. It was really difficult to not turn off the PCH and head into the many canyon roads I’m familiar with... soon hopefully
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I can't believe how quick this was. looking forward to the coils
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Well, this is either the beginning or the end. You never know when Im building a car LOL

Stay tuned...
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Early model convertible with a k swap on your list for the next car?
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                    Early model convertible with a k swap on your list for the next car?
                    I actually rode in a K20 swapped MR2-Spyder and it ruined me. I actually bought a K-swap Innovative rear mount and a Mitchs Auto Parts K-swap bridge piece so if this car gets flagged to go to the BAR it will either get sold or go down a BAR legal K-swap... If Im going to create a headache, I might as well go ballsdeep

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Well, this is either the beginning or the end. You never know when Im building a car LOL

Stay tuned...
                      Maybe it's the middle...

Comment

Big Update !

Made my big inaugural drive of 50+ miles each way to pick up my coilovers.

after that long (and flawless ) drive, I really didn’t want that noisy muffler anymore. Founda stock, uncut bumper with 3/10 paint, but at least the correct silver. Wasn’t far from my house so I said screw it, let’s haul it home haha

and a final ‘Before’ pic

S3 Coilovers with 6kg / 9kg Swift Springs

Height comparison of front

And rear

another bad pic, but here’s the ‘After’ shot

with that done, I headed over to Cheworks to have Robert and corner balance the car.

on the way there the car crossed a milestone

Final numbers of the car without me

Car felt great on the drive home. Excited for what’s ahead.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

I applaud you for trying out new cars that are fun and cheap just like the E30 was.

I used to think boxster's where the poor mans lotus Elise, totally overlooked this car, cant wait to see where this goes.
                          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

“Should be easy” ... famous last words...

After getting the car aligned, Robert at Cheworks mentioned the car pulls on hard braking. I had already planned on putting new pads and fresh fluid so this comment meant this task was moving to the top of the list. A few days later, I have freshly turned rotors and a set of the OEM semi-metallic pads. The dealer had the option For cheaper ceramic pads, but I figured these were the higher quality part. We’ll see... anyways, swapping pads and rotors should be easy right?... lol

Well, starting at the rear passenger side, I couldn’t get the piston on the caliper to depress with my little piston pusher tool. Realized what was stopping me and sadly the only tool I have for this job wasn’t working...

Wrong tool for this job.

The job that needs the right tool.

Not wanting to quit, I figured I could at least get the front knocked out. Passenger front went smoothly!... small victory. Moving in to the Driver front and all was going relatively smoothly until the stupid retaining clip got caught up and mangled a bit. A bit of rage motivation made things worse and after completing the install there was a dragging sound that is likely the clip, so I’ll have to pull it all apart again tomorrow when I have more time.

Today I had about an hour of time after going to Vatozone to rent the Caliper tool. Aka the right tool for the job. The goal was simple, use the tool to finish the rear calipers, and if time allows, get that front knocked out... well, even with the correct tool (and yes, the cap is off the brake reservoir), the Rear passenger side caliper did not want to move at all... could this be the source of the pulling?... well, let’s see what the driverside does... It’s also not moving.

The right tool, still not doing the job.

Reached out to Mico, who I’m sure has done brakes and he gives me the bad news. Calipers are likely toast, and I might as well just get two news ones now. Great...

Another trip to Vatozone and placed the order on some new calipers with a lifetime warranty. ..

They’ll be here Thursday and maybe I’ll wrap up this job... sh!t I shouldn’t have said that...
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Well, the last week has been fun. I’m still dealing with brakes that don’t feel 100%. I have had friends help me bleed the brakes and even bought a tool so I can bleed it on my own. It’s getting better but still not where I want it. Also, the e-brake needs to be adjusted too

While staring at the exposed shifter / e-brake area I remembered that I still had some MonkeyWrench Racing shifter base bushings. Pulled the old stuff out, lined it all up and took a pic

After all that I took it out for some hooning, and I tell you, when you hit the 3->4 shift right and keep it in lift, hot dog... she’s just about ready for a canyon run. We’ll see.

Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

You know, if you are already doing a fluid exchange, it can't hurt to open the bleeder screw while trying to get piston retraction. Also, screw in and ratcheting caliper pistons are moronic, hateful junk, so I feel your pain.

Comment

Working...
                                X