No announcement yet.

Project #26 MR2MAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy is convinced my master cylinder needs to be replaced... and said I might as well replace the front calipers and change the hoses to SS... ugh I think thats overkill... Anyway to confirm if the Master Cylinder is leaking
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Anyways, decided to start preparing the car for the hardtop. It’s hard to see the lines but they are there.

Can you see it?

drilled some holes to have a nice round edge

And the finished product

One step closer to that sexy hardtop being “unboxed”...

One other thing I got done was an easy OEM headunit upgrade, got the T1809 from a member here. A little bummed that the iPod cable connector was cracked but it looks like it might work. This was easy leash and I used the opportunity to clean up the parts. Previous must’ve had the hairiest, shaggy dog because there’s dog hair absolutely everywhere... anyways a before and after. I’m happy . Totally worth it

Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Figured today was the best time to get down and do it. Got to work early and it mostly went fine. Had a frustrating moment with the side posts, but eventually got it done. Grinding down the welded bolt went just fine but larger pivot point that bolts to the car eluded me. I hadn’t read anything about it and couldn’t get ahold of anyone who could help. Said screw it and busted out the cutting wheel and went to town. Didn’t take many pics of the work, basically a before and after. Enjoy.

UnBoXiNg ThE HaRdToP OMG!..

Pretty happy it’s how it looks now.

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Very nice! Is the hardtop something you can easily install and remove by yourself or does it require two people?

Your garage is looking good. I really need to get some photos/posters/art up on the walls of mine.

Comment

The hardtop does way more than I expected for the looks of that gen MR2. Honestly very surprised
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              Very nice! Is the hardtop something you can easily install and remove by yourself or does it require two people?

Your garage is looking good. I really need to get some photos/posters/art up on the walls of mine.
              I installed it all myself, not the easiest to do but possible. I need to find a Hardtop Cart to store it, but its likely going to stay on the car as I full deleted the haggard soft top which offset the weight of the hardtop.

Final product is stiffer chassis, less wind noise, more cabin NVH from the motor but overall a much more coupe feel than before. Im quite happy with it, drove about 120 miles yesterday comfortably.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              The hardtop does way more than I expected for the looks of that gen MR2. Honestly very surprised
              I agree completely. Its a wonderful update to the look of the car. Wait until I get my wheels installed and the duckbill :)

Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Yeah I'm all in on the hardtop. One of the things I never liked about that generation of MR2 was the fact that it wasn't available with a fixed roof. It looks good and as expected is a functional improvement.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 1-26

Comment

tres sportif

Comment

Looks awesome man. Great job.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Small update, I had this idea while taking the soft top off, and this bar seemed like it could be functional in many ways. I decided to remove all the extra pieces other than the center mounting bracket which can be used to mount a camera.

What I started with

Brackets removed

Ready for some paint, I had some rollbar paint leftover which I used.

and the final product installed

I haven’t driven the car since I installed it, but my engineer buddy is convinced that the bar does more for chassis rigidity than the hardtop. Whether it does or doesn’t, I’m happy with it and it’s staying. Hopefully I can get some in-car vids soon.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Wow! Great work. I literally signed in to see what was up with the Datsun because I found my '76 B-210 hatchback pink yesterday which got me thinking all things Datsun/Nissan.

Sorry about the loss, but great work on the pickup!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                          Wow! Great work...

Sorry about the loss, but great work on the pickup!
                          Thanks, good to see you popping in again!

Finally got around to replacing the noisy axle...

I also said F**k it and ordered a bunch of stuff from Mitch’s Auto Parts, and will probably order the tires for my wheels so I can finally push the car in the canyons without fear.

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Thanks, good to see you popping in again!

Finally got around to replacing the noisy axle...

I also said F**k it and ordered a bunch of stuff from Mitch’s Auto Parts, and will probably order the tires for my wheels so I can finally push the car in the canyons without fear.
                            Looks great.

Been a crazy year, lots of stuff going on (for all of us)

I also have a new canyon carver, a 2017 Toybaru 86.

Also, looks like a nice 914 in the background!
                            Last edited by parkerbink; 11-07-2020, 12:19 PM.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

1000miles since the swap. ✔️
                              Canyon run ✔️

Our goal was to get to Newcombs Ranch but the road was closed. We circled back to the highest vista point and took a group photo.

Yes, that was the 914 I wanted to buy. Honestly happy I didn’t. It’s a great car but I think the MR2 is the one for me... Man...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Looks great! Of those three the best choice is probably the MR2, naming conventions aside. No P car tax, and no one talking about adding lightness all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X