1990 BMW 318iS Sterling Silver Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post

The mirror takes power at a plug in the A pillar (somewhere at the speaker) I've got a picture in my thread of the iX somewhere though
    Cool! I'll take a look at your thread again :-) Thanks!

Comment

Build is coming along nicely!

Do you find sharing from whom you purchased the 3D printed center caps? I need a set for my Style 5's!

Thank you!

Originally posted by Glaede View Post

On facebook I found a guy who creates custom 3D printed centers, so I obviously needed that in my life.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1578.png Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	9955410
      Stock center caps

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1577.png Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	9955411
      Custom 3D printed center caps

Comment

Originally posted by constructor View Post
        Build is coming along nicely!

Do you find sharing from whom you purchased the 3D printed center caps? I need a set for my Style 5's!

Thank you!
        I'll send it to you in a private message, as I don't know if he wants his name to pop up all over the internet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Glaede View Post

I'll send it to you in a private message, as I don't know if he wants his name to pop up all over the internet :-)
          Received! Thank you!

Comment

So, the body guy has been working on getting everything ligned up and fitting well. The inner arch is sitting good and ready to be welded in after that the outer quarter panel should be fitted for good. He also fitted the new door and got i fitting pretty good!
            I think all the gaps etc. looks spot on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	9958561

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	9958562

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	9958563

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	9958564

Comment

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	9958566
              Inner arch fits well within the fuel cap area.

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9958567
              The all new battery box, inner arch and flooring in place.

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	9958568
              Door/quarter panel fitment. Looks good to me. What do you guys think?

Comment

Panel fit looks great all around. That door gap can be a real pain at the top corner where it meets the door (at the B-pillar)....amazing how many pieces come together in the lower battery tray area. Your body guy is doing great work.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  Panel fit looks great all around. That door gap can be a real pain at the top corner where it meets the door (at the B-pillar)....amazing how many pieces come together in the lower battery tray area. Your body guy is doing great work.

MJ
                  Thanks! Yeah, it's funny how "complicated" such a small area is :-)

Comment

wow, that's an amazing amount of rust repair, good on you.

i saw one pic and it mentioned welding. It may be too late now, but these tail panel seams are actually brazed not welded.

here's a pic of that area with all the paint removed (and not rusty)

in fact, quite a few parts are brazed not welded from factory, including that rear quarter

maybe that helps you, maybe not. I don't know why they chose to braze these spots, not weld, but they did

great project
                    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post

great project
                      Thanks burkey001! Your own project is out of this world! Read it multiple times so far :-)

Yes, I'm aware of the brazing, but unfurtunately, my body guy can't replicate that. So, I think the panels will get a regular weld. A bit of a bummer, but hopefully not too visible once painted.

I've read different stories of why they chose to use brazing:
                      1. Softer material = more flexibility.
                      2. Easier to "flow" the panels together and less grinding.

Don't know if any of it is true though (I'm not a body technician) :-)

Comment

I think brazing is less likely to crack, whether it's more flexible or less residual stress because the heat required is less, idk.
                        Less chance to distort the area because of less heat input as well.

EDIT: also remember that this was ~30 years ago, with the alternative to brazing being welding processes from 30 years ago.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So, yesterday was a big day, so far, in this project. The right quarter panel was finally welded in!!
                          This means that its now completely rust free in the right arches, battery tray, rear tail light panel, frame rail etc. That took a lot of $$$ - hopefully it will be worth it once is road worthy.

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	9959640

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	9959641

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	9959639

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	9959642

Comment

I haven't updated this thread for a while. It's pretty time consuming to do, which is why I tend to update my instragram profile instead. Anyways, I'll try to bring it back to life.
                            So, since my last post, the body guy removed the left quarter and discovered a pretty shitty inner arch. I already knew this and hence bought another inner arch. Unfurtunately, this is kind of rusty as well.
                            Right now I'm trying my best to source a new/better, but they are REALLY hard to find. SO, if anyone in here has somethinh laying around, please let me know!

So, in the mean time, while waiting for better parts, the body guys has been to work on other areas. The "jack point" and flooring was gone, so they fabricated some new pieces for that area:

Name:	IMG_0372.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	9969248
                            As you can see, the inner part was fixed as well as the flooring. They tried their best to replicate the OEM look. Think it looks decent. Needs a bit of grinding etc. still obviously.

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	9969249
                            Here's the outer part. Still needs some work and also the 'box' needs to be welded on too. As you can see the outer panel also needs fixing.

Other than the flooring they also worked on the windshield area. This was worse that it appeared at first. They had to cut a 'window' to be able to fix it properly and then close that window again.

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	9969250

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	9969251

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9969252
                            Here's the window cut out and the rust underneath has been cut out and fixed with new sheel metal.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0266.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	9969254
                              Inner part fixed and outer 'window' closed again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0265.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	9969255
                              All welded up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0269.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	9969256
                              ...aaand the final result. I hope the repair will be invisible once painted. I'm pretty sure it will look good :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190219_125029_Original (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	9969257
                              Here is the before shot.. Yikes!!

Comment

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	9969260
                                Outer left quarter removed.. Luckily it only seems to be the inner arch thats fucked up. Rest looks okay.

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	9969259
                                As you can see - my own is toast. My other used arch is also pretty bad and the repair piece isn't covering it all. Bummer..

On saturday, I'm suppose to pick up the rear suspension setup from an E36 Compact for my 5 lug conversion 8-) More on that later...

Comment

Working...
                                X