Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris's Journey to find.. "The One"

Hi everyone! Chris here from SoCal.

here's a bit of background before the cars(or skip to the cars? haha)
    I work part time for the public works depart of a local city where I repair and maintain medium and heavy duty trucks(and a few light duty trucks)

my whole idea for this search is to find the one car that does it all. race it, drive it home, take on a sunday cruise, grab some ice cream and be fun in every scenario general life scenario

I daily drive a 2012 vw golf. 2.5l 5banger. autotragic. it works great for traffic around los angeles(maybe not so much anymore since there's no traffic right now haha)
    I've tracked the golf a handful of times(big willow, autoclub, grange(lol))
    It's served me well and i still own it, but September of 2016, my brother got married and moved out, and an extra parking space opened up.

Told my parents it's either a dog or a project car

2 months later, i picked up a 1982 corolla(Crystal the corolla)
    This was my first manual, first rwd car, first "project" car

I learned a lot on this car in the past year.

It was bone stock and i basically refreshed everything i possibly could with my college student budget.

after nearly a year of ownership it turned from a 40whp ****box to a maybe 50whp ugly duckling.
    the only shop to ever touch this car was the smog guy to help it "pass"
    anyone that has experience with carburetors knows what im talking about lol
    i was very proud of this car

unfortunately i dont have any good pictures with the sparco sprint and fender mirrors

if anyone wants a detailed thread about this corolla i can post it up. the current owner of the car did what i planned. Beams swap with 20v ITB's. he did it the proper way as well. not a single expense spares. the gauges in the car are worth more than the car itself lol. i got a chance to drive it with the beams swap and i nearly sold my m3 to buy it back... back to the story

december of 2017, the day before my first planned track/drift day with the corolla, i traded it for a manual lexus IS300. straight trade. no money involved. car for car. similar miles(170k), clean title on both cars.

i regret getting rid of that corolla, but for a college kid on a college budget, it was the smarter move to get something that doesn't require lots of money and custom work. ill save that stuff for what im older and have more time on my hands.
    I will own another te72 corolla again.. it's by far the most exciting car i've ever driven

so this lexus is300. i ended up taking it to the track day instead. gave it a shot at drifting. it's fun. i can see the appeal. it just wasnt for me though. i prefer to use the grip i have.. not the lack of grip i can create; make sense?

anyways, i putted around in the is300 until the title came in. i actually posted it up for trade a few days after the track day.

come the first week of 2018.
    I traded it for a 2000 S2000.
    i loved this car. it had the raw-ness of my corolla, but had power. it was enjoyable and satisfying to drive. vtec is a whole next level experience.. if you get a chance to drive any honda from the 90s or 00s that has vtec.. do it. itll make you laugh like a little 10 year old boy who got into a tickle fight with his older brother. i completely understand the love for vtec after owner an s2000.

it was bone stock other than a cut rear bumper and a berk headerback. I threw some period correct wheels, some koni shocks and H&R springs and did some reliability mods and genuinely enjoyed the roadster life. drove this thing EVERYWHERE. I want another one.

The s2000 the car i shouldn't have gotten rid of.. but corollas are cursed. theyre the devil. everything about owning one is hell. it's like that one ex you have that just keeps coming into your life whether you like it or not, and you have no choice but to let her into life again. its dumb and stupid

so come midway into 2018... i traded the s2000 for another corolla. dont ask why. i cant give you a reasonable explanation for this. if youve ever owned an old corolla youll know exactly what im talking about.

1986 ae86 sr5 hatch

this car was more so a show car more than anything else. i did like it.. but i didnt love it.
    it caught A LOT of attention everywhere. i made a lot of genuinely good friends through this car.

it was heavily modded other than the engine.. bone stock 4AC. slow af. that's fine. this car is fun no matter how fast youre going.

i wanted to keep this car, F20c swap it, get it BAR'd.. til i found one inch thick bondo along the passenger side rocker panel.
    that's when i completely gave up, did a few shows with the car, then sold it for $8k.

come now February 2019
    sold the corolla.. looking for a kouki s14 or an ae86 GTS
    i randomly came across an e36 m3 that i checked out. drove it and it was cool i guess.
    i kept seeing more and more e36's everyone.. in person, online...
    i grew up watching the e36 race in BTCC and JTCC. ive always wanted one since my brother's first car was a B5 a4 that he styled after the BTCC a4.

started looking into them and eventually found this m3

the car came along with a bunch of drama
    the previous owner(s) did not have a good reputation in the e36 world. I found out the car was essentially a “parts bin” build and was all pieced together with spare parts. It needed some work, but generally speaking was a good car.

December of 2019 i did my first track day with this car. it was more of a shakedown. the car needed work... and a lot of it. suspension is well.. its fine if you wanna slam/stance the car or do some sort of slammed drift build, but from a track perspective, the struts/shocks and improperly valved for the spring rates, and the springs feel like they could be a tad bit stiffer.

Anyways… here’s some pics of the progress of when I first owned it to the day I traded it.

now comes the hardest car ive had to own..

April 2020

The 996 was a dream car… it always has been. I have pictures of my cousin and I at every Los Angeles Auto Show from 1999 to 2004 in front of the 996. We literally watched this car grow throughout the years and we were always excited to see it.

I found a local who had posted this 996 up for sale/trade. On a whim I offered my M3.. we met up.. and a few hours later I was driving home in one of my dream cars.

here she is:

2001 Porsche Carrera 2
    6 Speed Manual
    173k miles
    no maintenance history

This car was by far the BEST car i have ever owned. I had to sell it due to some unforeseen financial expenses which made it very very difficult for me to keep the car.

After some oem GT3 coilovers, and some GT3 spec OZ Racing wheels, it was slowly starting to become a reality of how well this car really is.

I don't like talking about the 996 much because it was the hardest car to get rid of. I spent nearly 2 months trying to figure out a way to hold onto it and keep it.. and unfortunately couldnt.

While i owned this car, I also won(yes won) an Integra Type R.

July 2020

The Type R was salvage title with a JDM b18c swap. Honestly... it was a shitty example of a Type R... but hey.. i got to say ive owned and driven one right?

It is a fun little car, but it's a hot car... they are targets of getting stolen.. i enjoyed it until the title arrived and sold it. In my area, hondas get stolen ALL the time. They'll be stripped down and sold off before you even finish filing a police report.

Back to the 996... I sold the 996 in October of 2020. Like i said.. it was VERY hard for me... unfortunately covid ruined a lot of stuff this past year and despite everything.. this is a hobby that had to be temporarily stopped.

Now onto November of 2020 and the whole reason i'm here

once i got my finances sorted, I was looking for an evo8/9 or an f20 swapped ae86 to get back onto this journey.

One day i woke up, opened facebook and saw a BAR legal s52 swapped e30. I talked to the owner.. met up with him eventually and well... i picked up the e30!

here she is!

I will use the next post to go more into detail about the e30

if anyone wants a more detailed description/build info on any of my previous cars let me know! i have tons of photos and documentation of everything

and like always, feel free to ask me anything! suggestions, comments, criticism etc is all welcome. im open to everything.

November 2020:

sooo about this e30.. its a 1991 325i with an s52 swap, converted to OBD1 and BAR'd as an S50

It's not perfect and i feel i may have overpaid, but it's almost a perfect combo of shitbox and quality... not to mention that BAR sticker is worth some $$$

quick info:
    clean title
    163k miles on the chassis
    unknown miles on the motor. im just gonna tell myself 120k miles on the motor to make myself feel good.
    legal "s52" swap(BAR'd as an s50. i dont ask questions.)
    MCS 2-way coilovers
    BBS RS
    Corbeau seats
    AC and heater do work.
    Shitimoto Radiator
    straight pipe hotboi exhaust
    parts of the car needs to be resprayed due to chipping paint

The swap itself was done by Castro Motorsports here in SoCal. I called to confirm, and he assured me he did the swap and the BAR.

As far as a current future plans list goes:

Stewart Racing Water Pump
    CSF or Koyo Radiator
    Secured Oil Pump Nut
    New wheels(as much as i love BBS RS... i cant track on a set of wheels that could buy me half the things on my to-do list lmao)
    rear toe/camber adjustments
    update spring rates to my liking.
    Front control arms and bushings
    New steering rack boots(right side is ripped)
    new tie rod ends(they are worn out)
    CAE Shifter w/ stiffer motor/trans mounts
    chassis reinforcements on pretty much any known weak point of the e30

December 2020:

small e30 update:

a common e30 issue... shrinking door seals.
    coupe door seals are ungodly expensive for a 30 year old car. an easy trick is to use cut/splice a 4dr seal.

pop this evil door sill off the car. this thing is actually made by the devil himself. some say he forged it the clips that hold it down out of his own horns. I used a combination of 8 different interior trim panel removal tools to remove the door sill and only managed to break one clip. i consider this a major success.

after that door sill is off, you make a cut in the seal right along the middle under the door sill. now you can move the seal into the proper position, exposing a gap right where you made the car. That gap is how much your seal shrank over the years.

now measure that gap, and cut a piece from the 4dr seal about the same length.
    pop it right into that gap.
    Once you put the door sill back on, you wont see anything other than 2 very small slits.
    it's not a permanent solution, but it definitely works as a temporarily long term solution to quiet up the interior and seal the door.

here's the gap that most e30's experience
    ​​

after cutting and inserting a portion of the new seal, youll end up with something like this
    ​​

i was angry at the door sill, so i didnt take any pictures of it before or after it was installed

end result is a sealed door. it's not perfect, but it works, stops leaks and prevents any excessive wind noise

​​

i later removed the renown steering wheel and replaced it with my work's bell quick tilt and my old momo steering wheel until i have money to pick up something else.
    there was nothing wrong with the renown wheel, but i dislike most deep dish steering wheels.

​​

​​

and finally my ikon motorsports "is" style lip showed up.
    what i like about this rep is that is retained the OEM mounting method. also good to note that EVERYTHING lines up perfectly. I dont even think my buddy's old OEM lip lined up this well on his car lol
    unfortunately when putting it on, just about every clip broke. i guess i cant expect much for plastic that's 30 years old and has been outdoors under the sun most of it's life.
    new OEM clips have been ordered.

​​

​​

more to come! it's unfortunately a waiting game nowadays with covid and the holidays. shipping is taking what feels like forever.

January 2021

happy new year!

i got the lip on. i had to fight it a little bit due to how it warped during shipping/packing, but it snaps in tight with brand new clips and hasnt flown off yet!
    I also found out how mangled the lower valance of the front bumper is due to how low the car used to be. i straightened it out as best i could and it looks pretty decent. when the car gets the full respray, ill have the shop pull it off and really straightened out the lip mounting points to get it as oem-looking as possible

​​

i also got rid of that god-awfully loud exhaust. Castro Motorsports did a PHENOMINAL job. It took a bit longer than i expected. the holidays meant shipping took a few extra days. He orders the catalytic converters after you drop off the car because he wants to ensure he's getting the correct one.

It's a full BAR legal setup now. 2 CARB approved cats, a resonator right after and his muffler in the back.

sounds great. it's loud enough to enjoy but tame enough to now attract unwanted attention

​​

While the car was there, i had him perform an oil change, flush the trans fluid and look into the leak.

He claimed that the 3 days the car was on his lift, not a single drop of oil was on the ground. He clearly saw the saturated area between the motor and trans. He degreased the area, cleaned it all up and pretty much told me he'd rather not charge me to inspect something that may end up being absolutely nothing. He's thinking i must've run over something and it happened to splash in that general area.

so far i've seen nothing on my garage floor, so he may have been correct.

Since Christmas just passed... i decided to treat myself.

I found what seems to be a rare Hartge spoiler for sale out in Amman, Jordan. The spoiler is essentially a tamer version of an e30 m3 spoiler. it matches the non-m e30 body a lot better and looks natural. It's not very pretty and needs work, but im excited for it to arrive. this is all you guys get for now

​​

and the last thing ive done since the last update is replace the OEM e30 shift knob with my oem shift knob out of my old e36 m3

while doing so i inspected the main shifter bushing and saw how worn out it is. i'm currently waiting for AKG to get a few parts in stock before making an order with them to use the AKG shifter that came with the car. oddly enough, even with the worn out shifter, the shifts feel very tight and notchy.. maybe this is a sign of the dreaded worn out detent pins? no clue. ill roll with it for now.

​​

and now for some beauty shots. peep the euro plate up front! i was missing a front plate and am waiting for the DMV to allow customizable plates to be ordered. I decided to get a euro plate made with my license plate numbers. is this legal? no. will it get me out of a ticket? i hope so.

​​

​​

​​

As far as my wheels go... BBS RS are great... but what's better? TE37's of course! TE37 the world!

ill be ordering TE37's this coming week.

I will also be in contact with a couple shops to get a bunch of reinforcement plates welded on all over the car. This year will hopefully be good to me and this project.

January 2020 update 2

So the Hartge spoiler came in a lot quicker than i expected it to!

this thing is HEAVY. i was expecting some 5-7lbs lightweight fiberglass piece, but this thing weighs at least 20lbs and can likely be used as a weapon if need be hahah

quick mock up

​​

the gap near the quarter panels are a bit uneven, but it once bolted down it shouldn't be an issue.

​​

​​

I'm going to have a body shop repair the 50 million holes on the bottom of the mounting surface and fiberglass/epoxy some studs in place.

Ill also have them paint the wing, fenders, hood and bumpers all black to match the car. This is something that will hopefully be done sometime this year. Hopefully by summer time?

I have placed an order for TE37 Sonic SL's.. theyll be here sometime around May.

I have also placed a fairly large order from AKG which includes pretty much every bushing and reinforcement plate they offer for the e30, along with motor and trans mounts.

And lastly, i have ordered myself a pair of QuickJacks. Ill be dropping the rear subframe once all the parts and QuickJacks arrive to install the diff bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, rear subframe bushings, front control arm bushings and the motor/trans mounts.

the RTAB are temporary and im only changing them because im already dropping the subframe to do the subframe bushings. I'm trying to find a shop willing to replicate the DTM fully adjustable rear trailing arms for me. Seems many are either far away and require the car to be there(for good reason) or simply dont want to take the project on.

I've been considering contacting ProtoMachine to see if theyll do it, along with the reinforcements and a half cage. ill likely ask them once my bank account is no longer on fire lol

January 2021 update 3

Baby update:

First order from AKG arrived!
    its a small one. Just a shift knob, some hardware and a DSSR.

Im currently waiting for them to get motor mounts in stock so they can ship out the larger order.

​​

The QuickJacks have also arrived!

Initial set up takes a while. Took me about a solid 2-3 hours to assembly all the lines and bleed the system.. though i should note i was taking my sweet time and was working with sprained wrist. I also spent about 20 minutes searching the garage for a valve core. one of the valve cores on the cylinders was broken out of the box. ive read up on this and it seems to be a very common issue. no biggie... i ended up stealing one from a space mountain bike wheel. I've read that the newest models(late 2020 builds) come with extra valve cores. my build date shows mid-2019... thanks Costco! 🙄

each platform weighs probably about 75lbs. they have wheels at one end to roll it around. It makes moving it a lot easier.. but its still a pain in the butt if youre in a tight space

​​

this next picture is the car sitting on the first set of locks/stops. its a great height for basic jobs like brakes/suspension.

​​

The next picture is the car sitting at the second and tallest set of locks/stops. perfect if you need to drop a trans, drop subframes or do a bit more intensive work under the car.

​​

Overall.. i would recommend them and i havent even used them to their potential.

Ive had the car sitting on the lowest locks for a whole day now to test things out. its holding up great.

i plan on starting the removal process of the rear subframe this weekend.

lastly... a pic of my buddy and I from this past weekend. This same day, the car started and died on me. no clue why. When i managed to get it started, it was running rough and wanted to die. Held throttle open for a few seconds and everything felt normal again. no codes were thrown.

I need to double check the fuel gauge accuracy. i was nearing up on the 1/4 full mark when it happened. maybe its inaccurate? weak fuel pump? car has been running normal since then.

​​

more to come!

February 2021

another small-ish update

I got the second package from AKG with their entire catalog of bushings, mounts and reinforcement plates

i installed the AKG shifter, along with the AKG DSSR, and AKG 75D Transmission Mounts

​​

I also removed the rear subframe. i couldnt get the diff bolts undone while it in the car, so i removed it all at once. it made life a little more difficult, but i got it out

​​

The bushings werent too bad.. definitely have seen better days. i realized i never took pictures of the trailing arm bushings. there were in similar shape. showing tearing but not completely blown apart

​​

​​

at this point, i removed the diff and trailing arms

Afterwards i dropped it off the subframe and trailing arms to get reinforced.

I went with the following:

Ireland Engineering RTA deflection plates
    Ireland Engineering Diff Mount plates
    Bimmerworld eccentric camber and toe adjusters
    Garagistic trailing arm mounting point reinforcement plates
    AKG Swaybar Mounting Point plates

Im also having them install the AKG 75D bushings for the subframe and trailing arms, install new wheel bearings and paint the subframe and trailing arms with Steel-It

After i dropped it off, i went ahead and started to remove the diff bushing myself

I dropped some holes, got a hacksaw into the bushing and started cutting away at the outer sleeve. After some pounding and brute force, the bushing popped out without any damage to the housing

I decided to wash the differential as well, just to clean things up a bit. i still need to remove some surface rust and toss some high temp paint on there just to help protect things for the future

​​

​​

​​

​​

As of right now i am waiting for the shop to finish the subframe and arms... and i also decided to order some more stuff.

I have a secondary diff mount coming. I know the e30 diff mount "ears" are very weak. adding a second mount should help significantly.

I also ordered front wheel hubs/bearings, new rotors and pads all around, a rear strut tower bar, the correct length front springs, the correct rear spring pads, rear swaybar linkages and new hardware for some stuff that i felt should be replaced

once the car is put back together, I'll be taking the car to Castro Motorsports so they can weld on front and rear swaybar reinforcements, front motor mount reinforcements and front ball joint reinforcements. im also going to have them install the AKG motor mounts and probably swap out the control arms for new units just for peace of mind

once all that is done, pretty much everything brakes and suspension related will be brand new. I may have Castro Motorsports look into that oil leak again, as it's gotten worse. Im actually going to inspect the back of the valve cover when i get a chance. He mentioned he has seen the valve covers crack in the past and have an odd leak in a similar location.

That's all for now! I'm hoping to get some actual progress going soon. ive been itching to take the car out.

February 2021 update 2

mini update(again.. i know)

so my secondary diff mount came from Racing Diffs. here's a quick before and after with the second 75d AKG bushing installed

​​

​​

The "correct" length front springs also showed up from bimmerworld. After doing some math, the new spring by itself should give me about 9mm of extra adjustment upward to raise the front end if i need to. It also gets rid of the front helper springs which were essentially just acting as a spacer and doing nothing. First is a side by side of the springs, followed by a before and after on the strut in the car, assembled at what should(i hope my math skills dont fail me here hahah) be the same height as before.

​​

​​

​​

I didn't take any pictures, but i also installed AKG 75D front LCA bushings.

Lastly, i installed a Condor Speed Shop rear strut tower bar. This strut tower bar isnt what i initially wanted. I wanted to get the Mason Engineering rear bar that triangulates everything. After speaking to a local who may likely make my half cage, im holding off on any "fancy" bracing until further notice, as it may end up being tied into the cage. I also cut the carpet around the strut towers to gain easier access to the adjustments and make room for the bar

​​

If the local shop who is welding on reinforcements on my RTA's and Subframe stays true to their word, everything should be ready tomorrow for pickup and hopefully ill have some good progress with the car

Cheers for now!

March 2021

yet another update!
    big surprise.. the car's not done yet lol

i got the rear subframe back. i was too excited and never really got a good picture of everything welded and installed. here's a terrible picture "showcasing" some of the welds on the controls arms. everything was tig welded minus the lower triangle plates. their fitment was a bit too far off to be tig welded unfortunately. the hubs were vaper honed, bearings replaced and the whole thing was sprayed with Steel-It to give it a nice finish and to keep things weldable for future repairs if needed

​​

rebuilt OEM axles, centric rear rotors, bimmerworld brass caliper guides, rennsport 45 degree tow hooks(ill touch on these later), racing diffs secondary diff mount all installed and torqued to spec(and marked).

​​

i also started piecing together front end parts

new SKF front hubs installed:
    ​​

as i went to push the caliper pistons back in, i noticed something that didnt look too right.. front Girling calipers were all rusted/corroded and the outer seals were completely ripped up.

​​

this put a halt in my plans. i was hoping to run the stock brakes on some street pads for now to get a feel for the car.
    have i mentioned that i hate bleeding brakes? i figured if i need to bleed them anyways.. ill do it right

i talked with Lee at MassiveBrakes. he suggested going with the 300mm front big brake kit.
    unfortunately all the affordable caliper options were on backorder until at least April. I didn't want to dish out $1k for a set of Ap Racing calipers just yet

i decided to go with his corrado disc conversion. it should hold me over until i get more seat time in the car.

ive already picked up calipers and rotors. im waiting for the bracket and lines at this point.

i have also ordered a full set of raybestos st43 pads. the rears were ungodly expensive but will be well worth it for a dual duty track pad.

i dropped off the corrado rotors at Castro Motorsports so he can use his lathe and increase the center bore of rotors. he's also going to drill the hole for the set screw.

while there, i picked up a set of borbet type a replicas for cheap then immediately got a set of 225/45 nankang ns2r's mounted on them

they are 16x7.5 +18, which is perfectly fine for now. these wheels will be temporary until my TE37's arrive.

​​

lastly.. while talking to Castro Motorsports about some the front subframe reinforcements i wanted to get done, he mentioned that he has an Achilles Motorsport oil pan baffle if i wanted it.... and well he put it aside for me until i can get my car there LOL
    he will also be tossing a tac weld on the oil pump nut(if it doesnt already have one)

that's it for today's update

for a quick summary:

i installed some stuff. im waiting for brackets to get my front brakes on. i spent more money than i should have

til next time...

March 2021 update 2

exciting update!!

front brakes on!
    raybestos st43 pads on!(front and rear)
    bled the brakes today
    put the wheels/spacers on
    did a quick height adjustment and took it around the block!

man the car feels crazy tight and the alignment is still way off

the big brake kit went on fairly easily. im actually surprised how well and easy the calipers were to bleed. i pretty much flushed the system with Motul RBF660. i used 1.5 bottles so i have half a bottle left for emergencies.

​​

​​

next up, alignment then off to Castro Motorsports!

if you managed to read all of this and make it this far, i give you mad props!!!
    ill be updating as often as I can!

again.. feel free to ask any questions.. comment subscribe like share hit the notification button or whatever all these youtube guys say nowadays

Comment

Need some finished pics of the rola...

welcome to R3V, excellent first post. Read most of it, but not all lol
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Read most of it, but not all lol
        LOL, quite the first couple posts, but looks like a ton of great work. I don't know what it is about you Cali bros, but man it seems like it's so friggin easy to just blow through cars AND THEYRE ALL COOL. I can't imagine being able to just straight trade cars, but seems like you got to drive around some really cool and different rides over the last couple years. That 996 seemed like it was in great shape, as did the S2000. Sub'd for more updates, welcome!
        '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

I finally made it through all of it, one hell of an adventure through all those cars.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Need some finished pics of the rola...

welcome to R3V, excellent first post. Read most of it, but not all lol

thank you! ask and you shall receive! These are pictures of the most recent owner of the car that i know about. theyre about a year or so old. the car was pretty much a paintjob and some minor electrical work(wiring up oil sensors and fuel sending stuff) from being fully completed.

i didnt take these pictures. they were sent to me by the owner at the time when i was trying to trade my m3 for it haha. if California law wasnt so strict, i probably would have done it.

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post

LOL, quite the first couple posts, but looks like a ton of great work. I don't know what it is about you Cali bros, but man it seems like it's so friggin easy to just blow through cars AND THEYRE ALL COOL. I can't imagine being able to just straight trade cars, but seems like you got to drive around some really cool and different rides over the last couple years. That 996 seemed like it was in great shape, as did the S2000. Sub'd for more updates, welcome!
            Thank you man!

Cali car culture is definitely one of the best around the nation of you ask me. It has its ups and downs like any car culture does, but there's such a large variety and people want to experience it all around here. it's a lot easier to trade cars nowadays than it is to sell.

The 996 was in incredible shape for the mileage. admittedly, it looks a lot better in pictures than it did in person lol.
            The s2000 was incredible and sometimes i feel i should have never gotten rid of it. theyre genuinely fun cars to own, and for a somewhat newer car, they feel extremely raw

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I finally made it through all of it, one hell of an adventure through all those cars.
            glad you survived the story! haha

Comment

Took me a few sittings, but I made it through! Welcome! You have had some awesome cars. Looking forward to more e30 updates.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

nice ke70
                  We're out there in here.

Comment

Damn... both the e30 and the Corolla are sick! I’m looking forward to the next update!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                      Took me a few sittings, but I made it through! Welcome! You have had some awesome cars. Looking forward to more e30 updates.
                      thanks for making it all the way through!

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
                      nice ke70
                      thanks! in America, we never actually got any ke70 models. all models were te72 based since they came with the 3tc, but other than some minor differences theyre the same haha

Originally posted by Joeyz31 View Post
                      Damn... both the e30 and the Corolla are sick! I’m looking forward to the next update!
                      thank you!

Comment

im back with an update!

so.. my alignment.... turns out my rear subframe adjusters were a little off for the height i have the car at....

rear toe was maxed out at -0.29 and -0.09. couldnt go any more..
                        camber was all uneven as well. one side maxing out at -3 and the other maxing out at -2.

the guy who did the alignment plates did warn me that i shouldve gotten an alignment beforehand to figure out exactly where the plates should be welded.

it's 100% my fault....

the alignment spec i was going for was:

front:
                        0 toe
                        -3.5 camber
                        maxed positive caster

rear:
                        0.20 toe in on each side(0.40 total)
                        -2.5 camber

i decided to let Castro Motorsports cut and reweld the alignment plates when he did everything else

i dropped off the car at Castro for the following:

Achilles Motorsport oil pan baffle
                        Reinforced Front Subframe
                        AKG Motor Mounts
                        Fix rear alignment plates and perform alignment(to my provided specs)
                        weld on rear limiting strap brackets
                        reinforce rear swaybar mounts

He did it all. did the alignment, tack welded the eccentric adjusters into place and its pretty much set and done for now

remember those tow hooks that i had purchased for the rear shocks mounts? Those will be used as limiting strap mounts. The MCS rear shocks are very long for what they are. They recommended extended top hats, extended hats with spherical joints dont really exist for the e30... the next thing they recommended was a limiting strap.

i decided to go that route, as it also allows me to control rear shock travel.

i dont have any pictures of the limiting strap mounts currently since i literally just drove the car back home a few hours ago.. but that'll all come soon

as for now... i need to install a second set of brake pads that isnt so.... squeaky LOL.

here's a random pic of the first drive after i found out my alignment was whack and i had to redo everything i just did :)

ill be back with more soon!

Comment

Some awesome cars and loving the E30 so far! Little Corolla looks like a hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                            Some awesome cars and loving the E30 so far! Little Corolla looks like a hoot
                            thank you!

no update or anything.. just decided to snap a pic of the strap mount that Castro made and welded on for me while i was changing out the track pads to something quieter haha

it likely makes a bit more sense now as to why i purchased the angled tow hook points

Comment

V nice car's you got over time ! 996 are probs my favorite porsche for sure !

I quite enjoyed the read too ! v nice updates and upgrades , the front bbk is from massive? 280mm? or it came with the car?

I love those Rs damn , you going to keep em?

Comment

Working...
                              X