Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Car Shopping - What do you have? What do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Car Shopping - What do you have? What do you recommend?

Next vehicle purchase is going to be for the wife. It's probably going to be a boring crossover hybrid, but curious what you all have and like for your people movers.

My Short List:
    - Safety for her and the fam
    - Efficient - will be the default people mover, but if it can match or surpass her base 9th gen civic in MPGs, that would be preferred
    - Bigger than her 9th gen civic base (everything is) - everything *can* baby, but enough space for family including doggo would be nice.
    - I'll end up driving it probably as much as her, so if it isn't soul sucking, that too would be nice.

Right now, based on reliability, safety, and efficiency I'm leaning towards something like a barely used RAV4 Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid. Non-hybrids could work like something from Mazda but the E30 and Land Cruiser are for me, so really the new car makes more sense to be as efficient as possible while providing years of safety and drama-free miles. Not sure what to budget just yet, and in no rush to buy, so just trying to make a list of potential candidates for now.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

^

Whilst I would toss a nod to a decent example of the current ford options in the explorer line up, I think your on the right track with the Highlander for what your needs are. I have plenty of seat time in the 17+ and that has become my go to recommendation for people that ask about such things that dont need anything beyond SAFE, and reliable transportation. The highlanders do hold their value better than most other things in the segment, other than the inevitable front timing cover oil leak that requires engine removal to replace, the 3.5 is bullet proof cheap to maintain and not super hard on the fuel economy !!!!! (but then anything over 15mpg for me is considered AWESOME)

Hows the Hundy treating you???
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
      ^

Whilst I would toss a nod to a decent example of the current ford options in the explorer line up, I think your on the right track with the Highlander for what your needs are. I have plenty of seat time in the 17+ and that has become my go to recommendation for people that ask about such things that dont need anything beyond SAFE, and reliable transportation. The highlanders do hold their value better than most other things in the segment, other than the inevitable front timing cover oil leak that requires engine removal to replace, the 3.5 is bullet proof cheap to maintain and not super hard on the fuel economy !!!!! (but then anything over 15mpg for me is considered AWESOME)

Hows the Hundy treating you???
      Yeah, honestly it may be just new Toyota design language but the newer ones look decent in my eyes. And you hit so many points why it's on the short list. Even older models are everywhere, it seems to just last, for an appliance it's pretty great. The 3.5 v6 is simply well tested, but the idea of getting 30mpgs from the hybrid is really one of the reasons why it's up there. To double or triple the LX mpgs? Yes please. Not sure how much I want to spend just yet though - obviously hybrids and newer = much higher purchase price. If my wife had any want to drive a big vehicle, I'd consider replacing my 100 LX with a 200 LX and having her / us take that places. Or just get a 200 too? Maybe keep street tires on it, and swap on ATs only when the occasion called for it? I'm dreaming. Sadly, with 200's a lot more than 3 years ago - and barely better MPGs than the 100 - it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hundy is doing well. Just spent a good deal thanks to the front crankshaft seal leaking, I thought it was just the power steering leak getting worse... so I replaced those lines and took off the front skid plate. Clearly was actual oil leaking from the front of the engine. So I decided to pamper her and get it taken care of. Now it's got a new timing belt, WP, thermostat, radiator, and more done now. This is stuff I wanted done anyways (TB was 17 years old) and other stuff. Oh and brand new OEM windshield, installed correctly. Turns out the previous owner had safelite (or someone equally as bad) botch that, so it took a few days to fix. Thankfully my glass coverage made that not cost a dime. Spent enough on the other stuff, but I never pamper the truck, so it deserved it.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 02-24-2023, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I'm starting to look for a replacement for my 2012 Outback 3.6R (now at nearly 260k km and the trans is starting to slip) and my wife likes the current one so much that she seems hell bent on getting a newer one (whereas I'm thinking more about Volvo V60 and V90 for the looks alone)

Economy-wise they're no civic, especially with the 3.6R, but the engine in mine has been bulletproof, and the car overall has only suffered from the classic Subaru driveshaft/wheel bearing issues, plus a few caliper replacements. Plenty of space, doesn't drive like a huge SUV, comfy enough.

I had an alert set up for 2018/2019 3.6R Limited and they seem like a nice enough upgrade from the 2012, but prices are still nutty. I could sell the car for what I paid for it in 2017, but a replacement would be at least 2.5x what I paid last time around.​
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

have a look at the hyundai santa cruz car-truck. two folk i know absolutely love them for the family. they both like the practicality of the box / trunk. they're a bit new, so i'm not certain of the quality or driving experience, but they are supposed to be decently quick if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I'm starting to look for a replacement for my 2012 Outback 3.6R (now at nearly 260k km and the trans is starting to slip) and my wife likes the current one so much that she seems hell bent on getting a newer one (whereas I'm thinking more about Volvo V60 and V90 for the looks alone)

Economy-wise they're no civic, especially with the 3.6R, but the engine in mine has been bulletproof, and the car overall has only suffered from the classic Subaru driveshaft/wheel bearing issues, plus a few caliper replacements. Plenty of space, doesn't drive like a huge SUV, comfy enough.

I had an alert set up for 2018/2019 3.6R Limited and they seem like a nice enough upgrade from the 2012, but prices are still nutty. I could sell the car for what I paid for it in 2017, but a replacement would be at least 2.5x what I paid last time around.​
            I like Subaru, but are they still plagued by head gasket problems like back in the day? I would stick with Toyota for the wife and be able to focus personally on my BMW.

Comment

The EZ36 in the 3.6R doesn't seem to have head gasket issues. Not sure if they fixed the issue on the 4-cyls more recently, but it was definitely still a fairly common thing on the 2010-2014 gen.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                have a look at the hyundai santa cruz car-truck. two folk i know absolutely love them for the family. they both like the practicality of the box / trunk. they're a bit new, so i'm not certain of the quality or driving experience, but they are supposed to be decently quick if nothing else.
                My wife has had two Hyundais - her current car is a 2015 Elantra, and previously she had a Kia Rio (rebadged Hyundai). The transmissions on both went at 120k km (so 75k miles), first time we traded in the Rio on the Elantra with a broken transmission thinking she just got unlucky, on the Elantra we had the transmission replaced so she gets a few more years out of it given that car prices are still stupidly high & our kids are now in High School, so in 3 - 5 years they’ll be driving themselves. She’ll go with something Japanese next time round.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

My wife has had two Hyundais - her current car is a 2015 Elantra, and previously she had a Kia Rio (rebadged Hyundai). The transmissions on both went at 120k km (so 75k miles), first time we traded in the Rio on the Elantra with a broken transmission thinking she just got unlucky, on the Elantra we had the transmission replaced so she gets a few more years out of it given that car prices are still stupidly high & our kids are now in High School, so in 3 - 5 years they’ll be driving themselves. She’ll go with something Japanese next time round.
                  yeah hyundai's already had issues around the transmission last year. they keep using complicated dual clutch autos that seem destined to fail.

Comment

Recently got a Mazda CX5 for the wife. Absolutely love it. 33 out the door and has a great infotainment screen, beige leather interior, 28 mpg on the highway, super quiet. All around extremely happy with it. Now you can get them awd and turbo. Ours is just a 4 cyl and FWD but I love it. I even used it to tow a small sail boat and it did like a champ. We have a baby on the way and the thought of needing more space hasn't even crossed our mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah hyundai's already had issues around the transmission last year. they keep using complicated dual clutch autos that seem destined to fail.
                      Her cars were both manuals, so I think they have issues across a number of their transmissions (they do build their own unlike many manufacturers).

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Her cars were both manuals, so I think they have issues across a number of their transmissions (they do build their own unlike many manufacturers).

i keep hearing they have a 120k transmission and thats it now that i've asked.

Comment

We had a 2011 forester for quite a few years, but the thing with these SUVs is that there isn't actually that much room inside. They are higher and bigger and all that but when you look at the boot size its actually no better than a lot of sedans. Subarus seem to sufferer quite badly from oil usage (mine did) and here in Australia anyway parts are seriously over priced for them. I don't think i would have another one. I've had a few older Subarus and they were great (2000 wrx and 2003 Impreza), but i dunno. modern ones seem a bit hightly strung.

We recently bought a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Seriously impressed by it. K24a3 engine which has some get up and go if required bit still only a normal 2.4L 4clr, loads of room. and really does drive like a car. it has such a low centre of gravity compared to SUVs that it drives way better. and the boot area is enormous when you fold the 3rd row of seats down. And one of the best parts is that the floor is flat (as its FWD) so the kids can walk from one side of the car to the other to get to their seats. super comfy "Captains chairs" in the front too. On the highway I can get close to 7L/100km/ ~33mpg. not as good around town though but not bad all things considered. My younger self would be disappointed, but I am really enjoying the honda people mover. after 2013 they got a little bigger, but Im sure still worth a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                            We had a 2011 forester for quite a few years, but the thing with these SUVs is that there isn't actually that much room inside. They are higher and bigger and all that but when you look at the boot size its actually no better than a lot of sedans. Subarus seem to sufferer quite badly from oil usage (mine did) and here in Australia anyway parts are seriously over priced for them. I don't think i would have another one. I've had a few older Subarus and they were great (2000 wrx and 2003 Impreza), but i dunno. modern ones seem a bit hightly strung.

We recently bought a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Seriously impressed by it. K24a3 engine which has some get up and go if required bit still only a normal 2.4L 4clr, loads of room. and really does drive like a car. it has such a low centre of gravity compared to SUVs that it drives way better. and the boot area is enormous when you fold the 3rd row of seats down. And one of the best parts is that the floor is flat (as its FWD) so the kids can walk from one side of the car to the other to get to their seats. super comfy "Captains chairs" in the front too. On the highway I can get close to 7L/100km/ ~33mpg. not as good around town though but not bad all things considered. My younger self would be disappointed, but I am really enjoying the honda people mover. after 2013 they got a little bigger, but Im sure still worth a look at.
                            I had a Forester too, (last of the "wagon" ~2008, XT (back when that meant turbo) and a manual. Fun car, but I didn't own it for long because I was shuffling cars around, and even it burned oil with low miles. I get you there, plus all newer Subarus have CVT with engines (aside from the 3.6R mentioned above) that seem to have to work pretty hard to get you out of the way. But maybe that's just my take.

I'm not against a minivan, I know my younger self would also question this, but for the economy and interior space without compromise it's hard to deny them. The new Sienna being hybrid only getting 36mpgs no matter what is pretty amazing too.
                            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 03-23-2023, 07:54 AM.

Comment

i keep hearing they [Hyundai] have a 120k transmission and thats it now that i've asked.
                              Our experience definitely supports that.

Comment

Working...
                              X