Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Car Shopping - What do you have? What do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loosly related, but here is a short summary of why the Toyota Sienna makes a great family car.

I worked in the garment industry, and my small company that employed me was in desperate need of a new work vehicle. We were using a 2015 X3 2.8 that must have been one of the hardest-working X3's in the city. After scouring CL and FB Ford Transit vans, we pivoted the search to a somewhat unlikely candidate, a Toyota Sienna. We ended up purchasing a 2012 Sienna base model. After one year of service, this van with its 198k miles could not have been a better choice. We did not stuff it filled with McNugget-devouring children, sports equipment, camping gear, or the like. We used it primarily to shuttle boxes and bags of various garments around the streets of Vernon and South Los Angeles.

The Sienna performed in every way possible. With the middle row of seats removed and the rear row folded into the floor, the van would transport around 2000lbs of cargo. If needed, we could quickly and easily throw the seats back in to shuttle workers around on quick notice. The V6 up front had impressive "giddy up" for a minivan, especially when completely empty. MPG was around 15, a downside. It lacked many amenities, but it didn't matter. It drove amazingly. The drivers seat architecture between pedals and steering wheel and seat worked for my 6' 2" stature. The AC was lacking, but all four windows were automatic. Crucial for hot summer LA days.

The cavernous interior made up for any down falls the car lacked in creature comforts. If it worked so well for regular industrial use, while also being very much a family-oriented vehicle, I dont see why It wouldn't work for a family.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      I'm starting to look for a replacement for my 2012 Outback 3.6R

<snip>

I had an alert set up for 2018/2019 3.6R Limited and they seem like a nice enough upgrade from the 2012, but prices are still nutty. I could sell the car for what I paid for it in 2017, but a replacement would be at least 2.5x what I paid last time around.​
      Finally pulled the trigger on a replacement, and it's not another Subaru. For the same price, I bought a well optioned 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription.
      There seem to be a lot of these out there in the 4-6 year age range, coming off lease or trading in. Cost of ownership will be higher but I'm OK with that tradeoff.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'll say the your criteria pretty much fits current cookie cutter cars you see on the road pretty easily. Most of these newer cars are pretty safe, are efficient (relatively), and can be larger.

You don't have it listed yet, but I think your budget is going to be the biggest factor into what car you end up picking. A hybrid Rav4 is a pretty decent option, but I'm also going to question the reason why a hybrid is in the mix. Are you concerned about getting REALLY good milage? The hybrid drivetrains are going to be more expensive than the standard combustion engines. Reliability is another factor in the hybrid drivetrains too. They can be reliable, but what happens when it gets up there in milage? I'm currently worried about this with my 19 accord hybrid because boy am I RACKING up miles on it fast.

If I were to suggest something, I've heard great things about Subarus. While they don't ride as high off the ground they're still pretty roomy and are pretty efficient without a hybrid drivetrain. The only downside is the CVT transmissions. I just cant stand them.
        I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
          A hybrid Rav4 is a pretty decent option,
          I'm obligated to point out, having spent a couple of hours in it, that the current gen rav4's rear seat sucks. It's like sitting on a crooked coach airline seat. If adults are going to be in the back seat, don't buy a rav4. I'm of average height, broad shouldered, and not fat. Anyone bigger than me would find the seat miserable for any length of time.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

I'm obligated to point out, having spent a couple of hours in it, that the current gen rav4's rear seat sucks.
            Its multimedia system leaves much to be desired too.

Comment

This doesn't meet your criteria (at all), but I am very happy with the Prius that the lady brought with her into our relationship.

Over the ~83,000 miles it has covered, it has averaged 58.6 mpg. Certain trips are ridiculous. We get from Flagstaff to Phoenix on 1.23 gallons of gas. It is remarkable. That's at least 10 gallons of gas in the truck.

I'll always have a Prius. Just way too practical for me.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
              X