The Porsche thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uturn View Post
    I've always wanted a VW beetle....30 years later, wish granted. My deep dive with a 912. Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-05-16 09.51.03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	9926007
    Wow, excellent. Love the Irish green. The paint & the car looks like it could be in great shape to start. Where did you find yours? How long had you been looking? I am about to start tearing down a 1967 912 for a full restoration beginning next week, eventually will be electric powertrain. Car was originally a Light Ivory, has a poor Sand Beige repaint.
    1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
      I've always wanted a VW beetle....30 years later, wish granted. My deep dive with a 912.
      So no Lotus now?

What year is the 912? Love the green... congrats

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Simon -
        I just drove for a while next to a dark blue Cayman S 1st gen. Man that's a nice car. Still searching?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

So no Lotus now?

What year is the 912? Love the green... congrats
          Thanks!

It's a '67 SWB, will get a Lotus when I hit the state lotto next week.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Simon -
            I just drove for a while next to a dark blue Cayman S 1st gen. Man that's a nice car. Still searching?
            No, maybe when I hit the state lotto haha

I will have a mid-engine car next, but one thats not going to kill me if I destroy the motor. Something light with a reliable motor for a man on a budget.
            Last edited by 2mAn; 05-29-2020, 08:49 AM.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I will have a mid-engine car next, but one thats not going to kill me if I destroy the motor. Something light with a reliable motor for a man on a budget.
              Lotus Elise/Exige

​​​​​light weight - check
              mid-engine - check
              Toyota reliability and simplicity - check
              affordable - yes!!!

A car for everyman, a car for 2mAn!

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post

Love the Irish green. .
                That's not Irish Green; Irish Green isn't metallic and is darker.

Previous page has a car built by my shop, engine spec'd by me. Dig seeing it out in the wild.

1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post

That's not Irish Green; Irish Green isn't metallic and is darker.

Previous page has a car built by my shop, engine spec'd by me. Dig seeing it out in the wild.
                  Looks really dusty and hard to tell. Owner mentioned to me it is a repaint over a sand beige though. Right now I am working on a car with three coats of paint on it, although I've found it has an Irish green rear engine lid, and yes that pic above does looks different than the Irish green I know.
                  1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.7RS.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	9938370

Name:	911 lights.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	9938371

Name:	P Carrera carb.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	9938372

Name:	P RSR replica gpmh01.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	9938373

Name:	Porsche race wheels.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	9938374

Comment

Name:	Por 904 BT 11.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	9939833 Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche Boxster naked.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	9939834

Name:	356 light.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	9939831

Name:	911 shell Singer?.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	9939832

Name:	Porsche museum01.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	9939835

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a Modified 1971 Porsche 911E 2.7L at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #34,700.

I almost like the color combination. Too bad the tartan is printed.

Strike-outs: Rennline alloy bits, door panels, missing oil cooler block-off, red spark plug wires, yellow Shell decal, US front, Euro rear lenses, cheap-ass rear sways, valve cover "Porsche" painted by a palsy patient, Bursch muffler, later hood badge (they make decals, which is what the car's exterior wants), reused old shitty trim. There's a lot of little details that were just plain missed. Who the fuck restores a car and keeps the 49-year-old brake lines between the reservoir and the master cylinder? Ditto the connector between the filler neck and fuel tank neck? Ditto the ground strap for the battery? Nevermind, the more I look at this painted pig, the more I hate it. I have literally fired people for the attention to detail that this car is lacking. Holy hell it's like a knock-off designer product. You can tell they didn't use skivved leather when they wrapped the bolsters. Clout-chasing restoration by amateurs, it even has quick splices in the wiring.

There's a position called "Head of Fine Materials" at Singer and I didn't know I wanted to fill a position as badly as I want to fill that position.
                        Last edited by SOneThreeCoupe; 07-28-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

When a Singer is $$$$$$$$ people try to build a cheaper version and this is what it inevitably looks like
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

A lot of the small stuff I'm seeing isn't expensive. It's just time-consuming and requires a shop that gives a shit. I think it's telling that nowhere in the writeup are the companies that did the work mentioned.

Maybe I'm just pissy because we got a 911 S in that had an overseas "restoration" that I have to try to make pretty on a shoestring budget. It could be a nice car if it wasn't overexposed and too raw for its own good.

Comment

It feels like BaT is starting(?) to attract the scammers and flippers and wannabe's. Almost every description is "..acquired by the selling dealer in late 2019..." You're not buying a classic from a long-term owner anymore.

Also - "....is now offered on behalf of the current owner in California with a clean Montana title." The classic MT tax scam for license plates.

Comment

Does it surprise you that rich people have found a way to avoid paying large annual costs?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X