No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started riding this year and my buddy gave me his First Gen R6.

I got the bike in non running order like this:

After a lot of time and TLC, I got her to this:

Say hello to Camelia!
    Last edited by mavrikno13764; 10-22-2015, 10:35 AM. Reason: Broken Link

Comment

wow very cool, hell of a transformation, and free too! good work

Comment

powder coat the frame? That's an overhaul!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. I got it for free, because after a year of working on it and painting it green he could not get it to start. He got fed up with it and was going to junk it.

I was thinking about powder coating it, but my buddy convinced me to use Truck Bed liner on the frame. Turned out really nice and scratch resistant. Its also really hard for me to justify spending a lot of money on a bike that isn't worth it.

Comment

So what ended up being the problem with her?

Truck lining seems like an interesting idea. How rough is the texture? Up close, how does it look on the bike? I couldn't paint my frame, of my VFR, unless I'd dress the entire bike down. :( So much work on that big lady.

Comment

The problem was the charging system (very common failure point on the R6).
              He tried various RR and Stator combos, but nothing seemed to fix it.
              When I got it, I ended up creating a whole new harness for the Charging system that went directly into the battery (fused of course). Finally got that solved.

Next was spark plug wiring, when the problems started occurring he accidentally swapped some around and made the bike run on 2 cylinders. Luckily not for too long.

The last bit was the second gear issue that all First Gens exhibit.
              The bike would jump into neutral if you redlined second.
              I bought an 05 tranny to fix that problem.

My little build thread can be found here:

As for the truck bed liner, it is a lot smoother than I expected.
              Its like 90-120 grit sand paper? Maybe?
              Ill try to post some pictures later tonight.
              To be honest, from all the people that have seen my bike live, they are most impressed about the frame paint.

Comment

My 09 CBR 600 was totalled due to a small ding in the frame. Looking back I should have bought it back, smoothed the ding with bondo and bed lined it.

Oh well. I did love that bike though.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I'll play.

1990 325i Coupe Auto
                  1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                  1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
                  1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
                  1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                  1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
                  1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

Comment

^specs?

nice ride btw
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd
                    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                      ^specs?

nice ride btw
                      Thank you.

1983 Suzuki GS750T. Dyna coils, 8mm silicone wires, Stage 2 jet kit, Progressive rear shocks and Vance and Hines exhaust, etc etc

1990 325i Coupe Auto
                      1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                      1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
                      1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                      1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
                      1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by mavrikno13764 View Post
                        The problem was the charging system (very common failure point on the R6).
                        He tried various RR and Stator combos, but nothing seemed to fix it.
                        When I got it, I ended up creating a whole new harness for the Charging system that went directly into the battery (fused of course). Finally got that solved.

Next was spark plug wiring, when the problems started occurring he accidentally swapped some around and made the bike run on 2 cylinders. Luckily not for too long.

The last bit was the second gear issue that all First Gens exhibit.
                        The bike would jump into neutral if you redlined second.
                        I bought an 05 tranny to fix that problem.
                        lol my R1 had all those issues at one point, those flywheel/stator wheels are a BITCH to remove, things literally fuse to the crank shaft

Comment

http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/new...-investigation

had a CHP pull out in front of a motorcyclist, and almost made him wreck.

Comment

The Build:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                              http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/new...-investigation

had a CHP pull out in front of a motorcyclist, and almost made him wreck.
                              that was posted on my riders facebook group. lol He shouldn't of stopped.

Comment

So its been a bit, finally sold the lil yamaha AT1 cafe racer thing, the CX500 is coming along nicely, almost done with that one, gotta get the CB360T running right, then that one will be done as well, then I can move on to my big yamaha, the XS750, and then after that, full resto on what i just picked up tonight :D

So first, the CX, heres a before if you remember, bigger doofy bike in the back

And almost done now, just got the tank and covers back from paint, cant remember exactly, but it is a BMW metallic red, it looks the business!

And the next one, 73 R75/6, full resto planned for this one, in great shape, came with the fairing too (not that im going to use it, but still cool) and got it for a killer deal!

Comment

Working...
                                X