The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Looks pretty mean IMO. The tank looks really oversized, but for some reason I really like it.
    I know I couldn't build one this nice, but I'd like to head in this direction.
    Anything is possible, really from what I see the majority of the work into that bike is the subframe/seat area, all mounting points for fairings/wiring tucked/smoothed, and then other odds and ends such as headlight assy (which that one looks great btw, hate those "street fighter" BS lights they sell on ebay, bleh) different front rotors, slip on, aftermarket clip ons etc etc

Really the key to a good street fighter is to make everything as tucked and smooth/oem looking as possible. Take a look at a factory naked street bike such as a Ducati Monster or Triumph Speed Triple, thats what you want to aim for. I cant stand seeing all these half assed "Street Fighter" conversions on craigslist after the owner crashed it, literally just taking the fairings off and calling it a naked bike

I'm not saying I'm a master bike builder or anything, but if I can do it, you def can guy

What I would be more concerned with in regards to that ZX7 is engine damage, be it from crashing, being thrashed on and what not. If your going to buy that bike, make sure to look over that motor/trans for any damage or cracks/leaks etc, I had an R6 I bought that the guy had JB welded the timing chain side of the head together, those bikes suffer from the engine mount, conveniently mounted as part of the head, breaking off during crashes/wheelies, I cant believe it still ran.

offer him like 7-800, cant hurt and worse he can say is no

Comment

Finally got my motorcycle out of the shed, looked at the records and realized that I haven't ridden it in over three years! Now to refresh what needs doing, and to get some new gear to boot.

For those of you not in the know it's an '86 Yamaha SRX-600.

Comment

nice! Honestly never heard of that model until now, from what I've read they are pretty rare, very cool, and even cooler it has a kick starter!

Comment

Omg, an SRX600!! Wow, my dad bought one in new in '86 and commuted on it for years.

Fun bike, so narrow, so thumpy.

Yeah, ONLY has a kick starter, no electric start at all!!

Only made them one year...

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
            Omg, an SRX600!! Wow, my dad bought one in new in '86 and commuted on it for years.

Fun bike, so narrow, so thumpy.

Yeah, ONLY has a kick starter, no electric start at all!!

Only made them one year...
            AND its a thumper?? A fucking kick start only, thumper sport bike from yamaha? damn, that ticks all the right boxes in my book

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!

Not really a sport bike, as it's rather slow. Think of it as the 318is of the E30 family, quick, great in the corners, won't win a drag race.

I do look forward to riding the Super 6 again, even if I really want a VFR 800 to tool around on.

Comment

Any of you guys ride a "Zero" motorcycle yet? They are still too expensive but they are leaps and bounds better than they used to be when the company first started, only a few years in and they are doing great things. Not quite there yet in the range department but I'd rock one for my short commute. Haven't test ridden one yet, but if I found myself at near their HQ, I'd give them a go.

Manufacturer of 100% electric motorcycles for the street and dirt.

Still trying to decide if one old land cruiser and a bike will satisfy my needs/wants.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                  AND its a thumper?? A fucking kick start only, thumper sport bike from yamaha? damn, that ticks all the right boxes in my book
                  Right on, wonder why they only made them on year?? Ha ha...

I think they are kinda valuable at this point since they are so rare.

My father belonged to this little club for thumpers pre-internet...

A group which caters for owners and riders of single cylinder bikes. SRX, XBR, GB, XT, XTZ, SR, XL, TT, Muz, SZR, CCM www.thumperclub.com.

I remember he took delivery of it in the winter but couldn't get it started, some small hole in the diaphragm of the carb or petcock made it impossible to start under 45 degrees.

Definitely ran out of steam 2/3 through the revs but that wasn't really the point, with the clip-ons the bike seemed like it was 8" wide overall.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                    Any of you guys ride a "Zero" motorcycle yet? They are still too expensive but they are leaps and bounds better than they used to be when the company first started, only a few years in and they are doing great things. Not quite there yet in the range department but I'd rock one for my short commute. Haven't test ridden one yet, but if I found myself at near their HQ, I'd give them a go.

Manufacturer of 100% electric motorcycles for the street and dirt.

Still trying to decide if one old land cruiser and a bike will satisfy my needs/wants.
                    I want to say my buddy DJ'd the promotional evert for them out here a while back, I remember him mentioning something about it, and they let him ride one around after all was said and done. He said it was the oddest feeling sitting at a stop light silent and then taking off with very little noise, but like most EVs, the acceleration on them was awesome

Right on, wonder why they only made them on year?? Ha ha...

I think they are kinda valuable at this point since they are so rare.

My father belonged to this little club for thumpers pre-internet...

A group which caters for owners and riders of single cylinder bikes. SRX, XBR, GB, XT, XTZ, SR, XL, TT, Muz, SZR, CCM www.thumperclub.com.

I remember he took delivery of it in the winter but couldn't get it started, some small hole in the diaphragm of the carb or petcock made it impossible to start under 45 degrees.

Definitely ran out of steam 2/3 through the revs but that wasn't really the point, with the clip-ons the bike seemed like it was 8" wide overall.
                    Bad ass, guy I regularly trade/buy/sell bikes from/to out here is a huge thumper enthusiast, hes got all sorts of random single cyl bikes, triumphs, yamis etc, always cool to see what he has in his "stock" as its always changing

Comment

Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Comment

[QUOTE=ST1G;4756328]Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Nice, I really like the FZ6 for my speed goals, I am sure the FZ1 is great.

Good balance of performance, looks, and comfort...

Comment

[QUOTE=tim88325is;4756468]
                          Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                          Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Nice, I really like the FZ6 for my speed goals, I am sure the FZ1 is great.

Good balance of performance, looks, and comfort...
                          Roommate has a fz6. I have to say between riding the two, the fz1 is hands down a better bike. It's not that it's 'faster' per se, but it's just easier to ride. You don't have to wring it out.

Both are great, fun bikes though. I would think a fz8 would be the sweet spot if I didn't want a litre of fun.

Comment

Anyone here have any experience with a KTM 390 duke?

I've been bouncing between the KTM and a CB500F for a while now, and can't seem to make up my mind. I was riding my friends 500 and the power was there and was something I could handle for my first bike. I'm wondering if I'll be too much for a 390, I'm almost 190lbs. The ergonomics are great on the KTM, I'm just wondering if there's going to be too much MrBurgundy for the thumper.
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

[QUOTE=ST1G;4756486]

Roommate has a fz6. I have to say between riding the two, the fz1 is hands down a better bike. It's not that it's 'faster' per se, but it's just easier to ride. You don't have to wring it out.

Both are great, fun bikes though. I would think a fz8 would be the sweet spot if I didn't want a litre of fun.
                              No doubt the torque is nice, I just kinda lean towards smaller displacement in general, my 700cc 30yo Honda is fast enough for me most of the time. Had a 250cc Ninja that was fun because I could wring it out and not go straight to jail...

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                                Really the key to a good street fighter is to make everything as tucked and smooth/oem looking as possible. Take a look at a factory naked street bike such as a Ducati Monster or Triumph Speed Triple, thats what you want to aim for. I cant stand seeing all these half assed "Street Fighter" conversions on craigslist after the owner crashed it, literally just taking the fairings off and calling it a naked bike
                                Even some factory bikes look like a half assed crash-made "street fighter"

The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

Triumph's designers were hitting the pipe when they penned this baby.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X