• Show
Clear All

"It's an Alfa thing, you wouldn't understand."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Matta 1900M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	7180942

(Alfa Matta 1900M, for the Italian military)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
      ...but I'd rather have an Alfa with a top on it.
      Yeah, but it's about the wind, and the noise, and the smells, and the countryside. Consider the context of rural Italy in 1965, which also explains the original ride height and wheel travel. It's so great to drive on a warm night with the top down - either dark & stars, or the city passing over you.

And the noise. We used to rod through one of the long concrete tunnels in Seattle, late at night, top down. That was fun.

Comment

[ATTACH]102251[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          Yeah, but it's about the wind, and the noise, and the smells, and the countryside. Consider the context of rural Italy in 1965, which also explains the original ride height and wheel travel. It's so great to drive on a warm night with the top down - either dark & stars, or the city passing over you.

And the noise. We used to rod through one of the long concrete tunnels in Seattle, late at night, top down. That was fun.
          The biggest issue I have with a Spider is that the top of the windshield is right at eye level. I either have to stretch to see over the windshield, or slouch down to see under. Neither is comfortable.

You must remember that I do have a car with a removable top (that rarely has the top on it.) I've done many miles in the dark with no top, but I can't say that I've driven it through SF at night. (Wait, yes I have, down 19th Ave from 280 headed for the GGB.) Only once however.

Will
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            "It's an Alfa thing, you wouldn't understand."

[ATTACH]102249[/ATTACH]

(Alfa Matta 1900M, for the Italian military)
            I'll see your Army Alfa and raise you a non Army Alfa jeep.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

The biggest issue I have with a Spider is that the top of the windshield is right at eye level.
              Oh! Well that sucks. I am shortish. Yes, you need a roof!

Comment

A few shots from last month's CSRG race at Sears Point.

I could go blue on my car.

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

A few more Alfa's from the CSRG race.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

If you want to know the history of your car, send Marco Fazio an email here: centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com

He runs the Alfa Romeo Historical center and if you supply him with the VIN he will research it and tell you when the car was built, first sold, where it was sold, what its original color was, and what the original interior was.

The SPICA system wasn't a bad system. I had the early version on my GTV and it ran great, even after sitting for 30 years. It wasn't very flexible when it comes to running larger cams, but for a stock system it was really solid. I still have the special tools to set the thing.

The good news is that parts are easy to source for your car. Check out Centerline Alfa http://www.centerlinealfa.com/ they have all the parts you could want. Depending on which rear end you have (likely the 4.56 open) its an easy swap to put a later spider 4.10 LSD in. (straight bolt in.) Another place for good info is the Alfa Bulletin Board, www.alfabb.com. More info than you can shake a stick at.

Will
                    Thanks, Marco is the one who told me about the production date and colour. I've registered on Alfabb (same handle), and already gotten a couple of things from Centerline.

It'd be nice to go back to SPICA, but I will stick with the carbs until I get everything else fixed up properly. Next order of business is getting some decent seats.

Comment

If your carb setup works, I wouldn't bother going to back to SPICA. As I said, its not very flexible when it comes to running big cams. (Stock cams are all it can handle.) Carbs are so much more flexible. You will need an expensive electric fuel pump, and a fuel return system to get it to work. In my opinion, way too much trouble.

Will
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

If your carb setup works, I wouldn't bother going to back to SPICA. As I said, its not very flexible when it comes to running big cams. (Stock cams are all it can handle.) Carbs are so much more flexible. You will need an expensive electric fuel pump, and a fuel return system to get it to work. In my opinion, way too much trouble.

Will

Yeah, it's near the bottom of my to-do list. Now I just have to figure out how to tune the Webers to not run absurdly rich.

Comment

Originally posted by TSI View Post
                          Yeah, it's near the bottom of my to-do list. Now I just have to figure out how to tune the Webers to not run absurdly rich.
                          Good luck with that. Honestly, I hate Webers. they never run the same two days in a row. I'm looking at running SK/OERs, Delortos, or preferably Mikunis on my Sprint. The Delortos are easy to make work the Mikunis, are a bit of a challenge due the way they actuate (backward from Webers)

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

http://auctions.speedstowingauction....-164_i23621512

Guess nobody knew what it was..
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Wow someone got a steal on a nice Alfa V6 engine swap for their GTV6 :P
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

My buddy who is selling the other Alfa was asking me if I would bid on it and keep it my place until he can sell the other Alfa and few other cars..

Told him can't because too many Bimmers in my driveway.
                                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                                2016 Ford Flex
                                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                                X