*%#¥ my 740i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*%#¥ my 740i

So the initial quote for the blown HG and a few other things totalled 3k. Fine. Now he's saying the timing chain is close to breaking and the estimate ups to $4,500. That's money I could spend on a tarbo, so I'm thinking about cutting my losses and scrapping this bitch. The family got 14 years out it and 225k miles, not bad.

I was planning on selling it anyways, but even if I fix it and sell it, I'd still be in the red. So would it be worth not fixing and parting it out or selling it as a shell? Is anything swappable into an e30? I assume the seats are way too big, but they are incredibly comfortable.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Swap in a used engine, then sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Swap in a used engine, then sell.
      x2

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
      Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

sell me the old motor cheap. I need a B44 block. That's a lot of miles though...

Comment

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. I don't know how much this jackass wants to swap in a motor though. Im not sure if it's straight forward and something I could do. He basically said if I say fuck it I'm in the hole $800 in labor already. Guy started out as a family friend, then turned into a businessman. Prick

Comment

What year is the car, with 200k the timing guides most likely are on their last leg. It's a 20+ hour job labor to do the timing/guides on these v8s :)
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

That's brutal. It's a 1997

Comment

there's a '7-series row' at a local pick and pull, that should tell you something.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

You definately should part it out if it has PDC and navi.
                  I need it.
                  '91 E30 316i
                  '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    What year is the car, with 200k the timing guides most likely are on their last leg. It's a 20+ hour job labor to do the timing/guides on these v8s :)
                    Wow - didn't know that! Any reason why?
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                      seriously curious

Comment

I have the same motor in my 97 540 and just did my timing chain and guides at 180xxx. It is a lot of work and you do need some special cam timing tools! There are a number of write ups on bimmerforums, including a crappy one by myself.

From what I've read the M62 guides last longer than the m62tu (vanos) guides. Also most people decide to do the valley pan gasket, and oil separator while in there. It's a bitch of a job, but if you are semi proficient at wrenching on stuff you can figure it out no prob with all the write ups on the web. Taking the heads off is not that difficult either.

Either way you go good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Shitty fucking engineering, when Jean was taking his brothers TU62 apart I think the only thing that came out of my mouth was " that's fucking retarded ".

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
                            Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. I don't know how much this jackass wants to swap in a motor though. Im not sure if it's straight forward and something I could do. He basically said if I say fuck it I'm in the hole $800 in labor already. Guy started out as a family friend, then turned into a businessman. Prick

Happens EVERY time in that situation.

also on topic x3 for swapping in motor and selling, straight R&R can't be that bad right?...
                            Originally Posted by ACMF74
                            i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

Pull out engine rebuild it and put it in an e30.
                              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Working...
                              X