OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
    Timing chain issues on the BMW engines seem to be the biggest item.

Not exactly the same, but I bought my 07 RR Sport S/C with 101k. I have 104k on the clock and have replaced all the fluids (over $900 for parts/labor), front wheel bearing, fixed the plugged drain tubes + readjusted the leaking sunroof 2x + replaced the front windshield cowl because it was allowing literally a gallon of water into the passenger foot well during every big rainstorm, front sway bar bushings, I have a loose lower control arm bushing now, replaced the alternator, and now I've got an electronic parking brake failure and electrical brake related issue that looks like it would be in the neighborhood of $1200-1800. I'm not fixing the parking brake, decided to pull the fuse instead so it shuts the fuck up.

All in all I'm well over $3k into maintenance, damn near $1/mile, and that's not including the 16.2 mpg.

Overall, still worth it :)

the newer l322s with the 5.0s have shit timing components too.

Over time the steel tensioners will dig a hole into the guide rail.

Literally chainging one right now haha.

Also, these 5.0s are much easier to work on than the BMW v8s, but the downside is getting those fucking injectors out. If you dont have the tool, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      the newer l322s with the 5.0s have shit timing components too.

Over time the steel tensioners will dig a hole into the guide rail.

Literally chainging one right now haha.

Also, these 5.0s are much easier to work on than the BMW v8s, but the downside is getting those fucking injectors out. If you dont have the tool, you're gonna have a bad time.
      I read a lot of horror stories about the 5.0 engines, which is why I didn't even consider going that route. Not that mine has been cheap by any means, but I couldn't stomach the $5k repair bills those L322 guys seem to think are "acceptable" prices
      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Removed a gigantic resonator from the RR today, giving me what's commonly referred to as the "Poor man's Borla" on the RR forums.

Deleted final resonator before exhaust splits off to go to the mufflers. No drone at highway speeds, can't hear it over the radio, absolutely perfect in my o...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VJi811c3JU
        :devil:
        BEERTECH

Comment

I read a lot of horror stories about the 5.0 engines, which is why I didn't even consider going that route. Not that mine has been cheap by any means, but I couldn't stomach the $5k repair bills those L322 guys seem to think are "acceptable" prices

The raw parts for the 5L are not too bad, my 2011 I had to do timing chain guides, waterpump, the plastic pipes in the valley, etc.

At a dealer that is like 6k worth of work, in your garage over a weekend its not bad, 2k worth of parts (including the timing tools) and a few cases of beer.

That being said i had a shop do mine, as I didn't have time.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
            The raw parts for the 5L are not too bad, my 2011 I had to do timing chain guides, waterpump, the plastic pipes in the valley, etc.

At a dealer that is like 6k worth of work, in your garage over a weekend its not bad, 2k worth of parts (including the timing tools) and a few cases of beer.

That being said i had a shop do mine, as I didn't have time.
            I knew that if anything came up I'd be paying a shop for that work, no way I was going to dig into that lol

I would like to drive one of the 5.0s, my little 4.2 with the blower feels decently quick for how heavy it is, so I imagine the 5.0 feels pretty nice.

Comment

I think the 5.0 is a great engine

I'm biased though cuz I hate m6Xs lol
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Does anyone know if a BMW ecu would work on an l322? I have come across a few decent deals lately, but they typically had issues with the ignition locking due to land rover's crazy ignition lock system. Being that the older l322's had BMW motors and BMW electronics, can I find a way to bypass this like we would do with an EWS delete?

Comment

I recall seeing a large "Interchangeable Parts" thread on RangeRovers.net before being banned, so perhaps check there..

Comment

I'll have to see what I can find that way then. I have been searching and searching and can't seem to find anyone that has overridden the system. I have such a hard time believing no one has a solution to this problem as it seems to be so pervasive in the older rovers, especially from what I understand is that they even use the same BMW EWS system.

Comment

Try this?

https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...tu-ews-delete/
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                        Does anyone know if a BMW ecu would work on an l322? I have come across a few decent deals lately, but they typically had issues with the ignition locking due to land rover's crazy ignition lock system. Being that the older l322's had BMW motors and BMW electronics, can I find a way to bypass this like we would do with an EWS delete?
                        We've used the E39/E38 General Modules in them, so possibly. The programming is probably different however. You also need to figure out EWS as its paired between the Key/DME/EWS Module
                        Last edited by James Crivellone; 08-23-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          I think the 5.0 is a great engine

I'm biased though cuz I hate m6Xs lol
                          The 5L Has the same issues the M62's have, frankly they are damn near identical in terms of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                            We've used the E39/E38 General Modules in them, so possibly. The programming is probably different however. You also need to figure out EWS as its paired between the Key/DME/EWS Module
                            My thought is, if we can modify a BMW ecu to remove EWS, then can it be done on a Range Rover? I just havn't been able to figure this out and I don't really have the time o buy a range rover and find out, lol...My wife might kill me for taking on another project like that.

Comment

[ATTACH]123169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123170[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123173[/ATTACH]

Comment

Got to tow my future BiL's GMC Yukon out of a muddy backyard two nights ago. After all the shit he gave me for purchasing my "Mommy Minivan" it not only drove right up the muddy sideways hill without so much as a moment of wheel spin, it pulled his shiny new SUV with brand new tires on it up that same hill :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                X