• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Pine makes for beautiful floors.
    Isn't pine too soft for floors?
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Thats what I always thought. They are definitely one of the softer woods, but people do still use the old stuff. I dont think you will see much of it in new homes though.
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

pine isn't used today because about the only thing available is southern yellow which is shit.

from the turn of the century up to about 1920, 2 1/4" pine was almost as common and oak. it was probably cheaper in those days but if you can find it, its much more expensive now. it is, obviously, softer than hardwoods, but as long as it isn't used in a commercial traffic area or where you have 150lb dogs running amok, it holds up very well.

any time i see someone demoing a home that has pine floors, i always go in and reclaim it. i don't bother with oak.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          pine isn't used today because about the only thing available is southern yellow which is shit.

from the turn of the century up to about 1920, 2 1/4" pine was almost as common and oak. it was probably cheaper in those days but if you can find it, its much more expensive now. it is, obviously, softer than hardwoods, but as long as it isn't used in a commercial traffic area or where you have 150lb dogs running amok, it holds up very well.

any time i see someone demoing a home that has pine floors, i always go in and reclaim it. i don't bother with oak.
          While I wouldn't use pine for flooring, calling Southern Yellow Pine shit is incorrect.

It's one of the strongest structural woods there is. I spec it on my projects on a daily basis.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Picked up this green monster on holiday sale. Fanned fret lefty 8-string for $400? Hell yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

To add onto what flyboy was saying...

There is old growth wood, and new growth wood. Old growth is what was growing here for hundreds of years in forests, and has nice tight grain, good rot resistance, etc. New growth is the soft shit you get at home depot. I'm not sure how long they let it grow before harvesting for lumber, but I'm guessing no more than 50 years. I believe old growth stock ran out sometime between the depression and the end of WW2. Not sure.

Old growth pine is, as you'd expect, of a much greater quality than new growth pine. It is softer than oak, yes, but if you look at a lot of the older homes in the northeast (roughly mid 1800s and older - it varies), you'll find that a lot of them have floors that are made of absolutely beautiful wide plank pine planks. In terms of looks, oak doesn't hold a candle to nice pine floors. Newer (roughly mid 1800s up to the depression) homes also seem to have pine floors pretty commonly, but they're not as wide. Could be production changes, could be supply. My parent's 1930 beach house had the first floor floors redone about 15 years ago. Underneath carpet and dark stain was a really stunning quartersawn pine (or similar) wood floor in the main part of the house.

Some examples quick examples from google:

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                While I wouldn't use pine for flooring, calling Southern Yellow Pine shit is incorrect.

It's one of the strongest structural woods there is. I spec it on my projects on a daily basis.
                hmmm....while you have your engineering book in front of you to recite from, i would say that sitka spruce is the strongest structural wood based on strength to weight ratio. there are tons of woods that are much stronger than yellow pine. the problem is that they simply aren't readily available for construction.

when i say southern yellow is crap, i am going to have to stick to my opinion there. the wood that comes from the home center(or any lumber store really) is full of knots, always warped and generally unstable in all dimensions. douglas fir is a much better product from a construction point of view.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

the old school old growth heart pine cut 100+ years ago is nearly as hard as most hardwoods we get today. If you can get your hands on it for a reasonable price it makes a fantastic flooring.....

I so want to do blue pine (beetle kill) though out most of house since I have mills with in a stones toss that cut it every day, (I can also get true size, dug fir, cede, white and yellow pine as well) but the wife wants something a bit more durable, so we are likely going with an oak or hickory, since we have dogs and inlaws that are very hard on floors.

Yes yellow pine is very strong structurally, but it dose not make that good of a flooring material. Great for holding it up though.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Kyosho Fairwind 2, needed something without a keel bulb to get snagged in the grass when I go to Lady Bird Lake.
                    Attached Files

Comment

How much, and what's the zooommmmmmmmm?
                      This much! Crappy cell pointing in weakest 20mm eyepiece. It's the fine print at the bottom of the Domino's billboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171214_164034_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	7193615

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171214_163938_HDR_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	7193616
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

This isn't Pine. Its Fir. Also a conifer but different tree then pine. It was used a lot for framing in homes in the old days. You find a lot of it in Victorian and 1920's era homes, and it true dimensional 2x4 instead of the 1.5x3.5 we get these days. They used old growth to frame with too. I found some amazing stuff in some walls when I was working remodel in SF CA.

sigpic
                        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Close enough. Still beautiful.

Comment

^

If you know where to look you can still get true dimensional stuff and very nice Fir flooring today, its just not old growth unfortunately. I have a couple ceder 2x4s out in the shop
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Southern Yellow pine is well regarded as great flooring.
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

This was delivered to me a great price, barter work.
                                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X