Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambo View Post
    ehh... I'll fully believe it when it's someone other than the manufacturer providing the numbers. That's the smart thing to do.
    ehh.. the 8350 I run now allows me to do everything I want at 3 screens wide.

5+ year old tech to boot at a more than noticeable fraction of the cost. Even if they can't meet the promotional marks, it's still fact. Cheaper wins over benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Still waiting on independent reviews tho...
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
      Originally posted by Northern
      beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
      Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
      Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
      '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
      Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

im more excited about what their i5 competitor is going to look like price wise, since they are going to keep the same socket for so long it will make it easier to pick up the slightly older more powerful chips on ebay, withing the couple years.

Comment

Intel pricing is dropping on their current lineup by a good amount now that Ryzen pricing has been announced.

Microcenter is showing the below price drops.

Intel Core i7-6950X ($1599 US) - $300 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-6900K ($999 US) - $200 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-6850K ($549 US) - $150 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-6800K ($359 US) - $140 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-5820K ($319 US) - $100 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-7700K ($299 US) - $80 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-6700K ($259 US) - $140 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-4790K ($279 US) - $90 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-7700 ($289 US) - $50 Price Cut
          Intel Core i7-6700 (259 US) - $90 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-7600K ($199 US) - $70 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-6600K ($179 US) - $$90 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-4690K ($189 US) - $70 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-7500 ($189 US) - $30 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-6500 ($179 US) - $50 Price Cut
          Intel Core i5-4590 ($159 US) - $60 Price Cut
          Intel Core i3-7350K ($159 US) - $20 Price Cut
          Intel Core i3-7100 ($114 US) - $15 Price Cut
          Intel Core i3-6100 ($109 US) - $20 Price Cut
          Intel G4400 ($49.99 US) - $20 Price Cut
          Intel G3258 ($49.99 US) - $27 Price Cut

Comment

Those are normal Microcenter prices M8.

Microcenter always prices cpu like 30% down after first couple months.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
              Those are normal Microcenter prices M8.

Microcenter always prices cpu like 30% down after first couple months.
              Yeah, completely forgot to note the brick-and-mortar affect of their pricing. What you can read into it is say a $100 discount compared to their listed $200 cut. The online shops that have not updated their pricing yet still have them around the usual ~$1100 mark (6900k in this example). I was actually hoping to see deeper cuts on Intel pricing but Intel's ego is still shining through.
              :devil:

Comment

I think they will still cut it quite a bit, but they want to see the impact on market from the R7 first I'm sure.
                willschnitz

Comment

Intel definitley has Ryzen samples. There's no way they don't know how it will be affecting their lineup. Probably just waiting to the last second to maximize sales lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                    Brochachos.

I'm behind on laptop knowledge.

Need a portable laptop for lots of adobe creative suite editing without spending a quadrillion dollars. I'll eventually get into not just photo (lightroom/photoshop) but also video editing.

My very old newegg prebuilt "ibuypower" desktop works, but I'd like a portable rig that won't go out of date tomorrow that can become the main creative workstation that also can travel with me. Never purchased a Macbook Pro, and for the specs I feel like a Dell / Lenovo / HP? new i7 with 8 or 16gb of ram would fit the bill. Lend me your opinions. Considering also file storage, should I just get on the cloud train? Dropbox/Google?

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                    I got this on sale for about $699 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you dont need a top of the line GPU, still good(this one will play overwatch on max at 30fps) but want a newer i7 cpu its a pretty good laptop for the price. if you were going $1000+ look for a 7th gen i7 cpu and a 10xx gpu otherwise its all just what manuf. and bells and whistles you want.

That's the thing, I don't game but gaming laptops/desktops with their faster GPUs and more Ram do seem to help when I'm editing 10-20 raw files with many layers each, while also running 2-3 additional Adobe products at the same time and switching between them. I'd like a newer 7th gen i7 too.

I did see this:

Never heard of Eluktronics before, keyboard is a little too flashy but I'd love a large SSD, and endless RAM... wish it was a 7th gen i7 and I knew the company more.

Specs:

6th Gen Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2.6GHz/3.5GHz) Quad Core Processor, Genuine Windows 10 64-Bit
                    3GB GDDR5 VRAM Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M Graphics; 64GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM (4 Dimm)
                    15.6-inch Full HD LED IPS Anti-Glare 16:9 Panel, 3.5mm Display (1920 x 1080); HDMI®, 2 Mini DisplayPorts
                    1TB Pro Performance (SSD) Solid State SATA III; Intel® Wireless-AC 8260 + Bluetooth + WiDi Support

VERY LONG AMAZON LINK

I also need to decide if 15" (15.6") or 17" is the way to go with the new do-it-all-rig. Probably 15", then at home connect it to a larger or dual display.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

^^^^ I almost pulled the trigger on a Eluktronics laptop 2 months ago. Solid reviews as far as product support and build quality goes.....and the absence of bloatware is awesome.

I wound up buying an HP laptop through the Microsoft Store instead. It has the latest gen i7 processor, lots of memory, Nvidia graphics card with dedicated memory, and 1TB hard drive (not a SSD though....boo). MS Store PCs also lack bloatware as well. The only reason why I went with MS vs Eluktronics was the laptop I bought was marked down $150 as a year end special. It was nearly identical spec-wise to the Eluktronics option, the lower price finalized my decision.

Jon
                      Rides...
                      1991 325i - sold :(
                      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I can't stand laptops in general, but the HP Elitebooks I've used without bloat have always been good.

The new XPS15 has my eye If I get the spare cash to drop on one. If it doesnt approach surfacebook prices, in which case id go with that.
                        willschnitz

Comment

Laptops are touchy for me. I've always liked Apple produced laptops. No idea why but I really do. So much in fact I talked my girlfriend into a new Macbook Air with an i5. Really nice experience for what it is.

HOWEVER. Windows machines is where my heart is, I just can't find a Windows laptop I really feel connected with. At the same time, I can't find a Macintosh desktop I really like. Who knows....
                          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

1080 Ti just announced too... I think I need to build a new system...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                              ^^^^ I almost pulled the trigger on a Eluktronics laptop 2 months ago. Solid reviews as far as product support and build quality goes.....and the absence of bloatware is awesome.

I wound up buying an HP laptop through the Microsoft Store instead. It has the latest gen i7 processor, lots of memory, Nvidia graphics card with dedicated memory, and 1TB hard drive (not a SSD though....boo). MS Store PCs also lack bloatware as well. The only reason why I went with MS vs Eluktronics was the laptop I bought was marked down $150 as a year end special. It was nearly identical spec-wise to the Eluktronics option, the lower price finalized my decision.

Jon
                              Hey Jon - How much did you spend?
                              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

So I'm kind of in a predicament. I need a new computer, but honestly I don't know a lot about them. I'm looking for a computer that can run my AutoDesk and Adobe programs, but also I would like to do some mild gaming on it too, as I'm growing tired of the console format. I don't really have a set budget, but I don't want to spend money on crap that I don't need. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also wouldn't be opposed to building my own. I've heard its not to hard, its a lot cheaper, and I think the experience would be fun.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X