Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post

    Thank you for pushing me in this direction. I was about to start buying stuff...

    So I went and checked the tranny fluid...sure enough, it's full of coolant as well. Now to figure out how they got mixed. My first thought is a leak in the radiator as they both go there for cooling, Metal cooling tanks on the side for the transmission.
    Coolant in the trans fluid is a definitive diagnosis for ruptured radiator end tank trans fluid cooler... nothing else it could be. Fortunately that explains the oil in your coolant as well.

    Subarus with head gasket problems will warn by showing a film of oil at the coolant fill on the radiator before coolant in the oil is evident. However, they're OHC engines and have pressurized oil passing through the head gasket. The Jeep 4.0 is not OHC and does not have pressurized oil through the head gasket.

    Comment


      All the trucks I've owned got stand alone trans coolers for that very reason (if they weren't that way stock).

      Will, that's interesting about the Subi's. As I said earlier, it's atypical for an oil/coolant pressure passages to be separated.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

      Comment


        Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        All the trucks I've owned got stand alone trans coolers for that very reason (if they weren't that way stock).

        Will, that's interesting about the Subi's. As I said earlier, it's atypical for an oil/coolant pressure passages to be separated.
        I had just bought a trans cooler too...oof

        Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

        Coolant in the trans fluid is a definitive diagnosis for ruptured radiator end tank trans fluid cooler... nothing else it could be. Fortunately that explains the oil in your coolant as well.

        Subarus with head gasket problems will warn by showing a film of oil at the coolant fill on the radiator before coolant in the oil is evident. However, they're OHC engines and have pressurized oil passing through the head gasket. The Jeep 4.0 is not OHC and does not have pressurized oil through the head gasket.
        Yeah doing some more research, that is the only place the two could have mixed. Now to see if I can flush the system enough to not have ill affects. The Factory Service Manual mentions that the torque converter maybe too far gone and to just replace it...oof.
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

        Comment


          Most cars have the trans cooler mixed into the main radiator. Sucks man, but should be a relative easy fix.
          I do things.

          Comment


            Expect to do 2-3 transmission fluid/filter changes... If the trans will recover, that should do it. If it doesn't recover, have fun!

            Comment


              Yeah, getting all that shit out of the torque converter is going to be a pain.

              IDK if those jeeps have a drainer for the TC. If it does, you're lucky.

              If it doesn't, you might be better off taking it out and draining it.
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:


              WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

              Comment


                You won't be able to drain it all out of the torque converter no matter what. Torque converters just don't drain all their oil. I've heard some have drain plugs, but I've never seen one.

                That's why I said 2-3 trans oil changes... Change the oil and you'll replace all the oil except the bit in the torque converter. As you run the car, the new oil will mix with and dilute the contaminated oil in the torque converter. It all becomes contaminated, but less so. Then you drain again and re-fill with new oil. The remnant in the torque converter is probably diluted enough at that point that it'll be fine.

                Comment


                  what i do is take the oil cooler line off and run it for acouple seconds and keep filling until new oil starts to come out the line.

                  Comment


                    Old mercs have the TC drainers

                    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                    Q
                    :devil:


                    WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                    Comment


                      Thanks yall for the assist on this one!

                      Quick question. My thought is to replace the radiator, then start to flush the coolant system and the tranny fluid after installing the new radiator. I hate to put the gunk through the new radiator but dont know of a way to do it without them mixing again.

                      Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      what i do is take the oil cooler line off and run it for acouple seconds and keep filling until new oil starts to come out the line.
                      I saw a guy disconnect the return line to the tranny, at the tranny. Then he filled a 5 gallon bucket and drained and filled, drained and filled. I'm gonna try this tomorrow.


                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                      Comment


                        The post flagging/approval thing since the update is getting annoying. :( Seems like editing posts triggers it.

                        Just as a test, edited this post multiple times, no flag lol.
                        Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-14-2019, 10:43 AM.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

                        Comment


                          Whenever I put a link in a post, it goes for approval.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Old mercs have the TC drainers
                            That's why I've never seen one, then. Figures that Benz would have them. Das Beste oder Nichts.

                            Comment


                              I think longer posts can get flagged, and ironically I went in and had ~10+ posts that were awaiting approval and it seemed like half of them were both of yours! haha They are approved now BTW
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                              Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...

                              Make R3V Great Again -2020

                              Comment


                                Got a 2001 SLK 320 manual w/ 60k on the clock here at the shop. Its mint and he's selling..

                                If I work out a deal with this guy, I'm going to have more mercs than BMWs
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:


                                WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X